PDA

View Full Version : Not raising from the SB, multiway

sy_or_bust
09-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Loose, all-around incredible Party 10 game. Some interesting preflop decisions with postflop consequences. One hand I think I like much more than the other. All comments appreciated.

#1) MP2 is slightly loose and passive, doesn't raise much. Cold-callers are pretty dumb, probably have 2-3 overcards among them. Button is a super nit, something like 10/3 over just 200 hands - I think he will not reraise without AA/KK/AKs, maybe QQ.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (11 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (8.5 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (10.5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.5 BB

#2) Main villain seems TAG over small sample, probably a little too tight for this game. Mega-caller has 2 cards, and knows any 2 cards can win.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls $18.50 (All-In), UTG calls.

River: (12.42 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 14.42 BB

sy_or_bust
09-02-2005, 01:41 PM
This (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=&amp;Number=301785&amp;page=&amp;view= &amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=all) is a really good post I think everyone should read. FWIW, I usually raise lots of hands from the SB, but these 2 situations came up at about the same time on different tables and I experimented.

deetle
09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I like both plays. However in hand #2 I probably would have lead the flop with both strait and flush draws on board. Getting this checked thru would suck and because of the draws I think you will get raised by a worse ace or draws looking for a free turn alot here allowing you to 3-bet.

09-02-2005, 02:32 PM
AQo and 1010 are definitely on the cutoff for hands that I raise/don't raise from the blinds. I kind of think that their equity edge is not monstrous, and that they don't play super well OOP in multi-way pots. But I'm very interested to see how other people play these hands from the blinds, and what factors tip the balance between calling/raising.

krishanleong
09-02-2005, 03:17 PM
I raise hand 2 preflop and as you played it, I go for a turn cr.

Krishan

newhizzle
09-02-2005, 03:22 PM
i like reraising hand one, hand 2 could go either way, raise if its suited tho

winky51
09-02-2005, 04:02 PM
hand one is tough but I would say raise since raiser is MP2 1st in and not EP so he is more likely to have medium hands. The cold callers definitely have worst hands than the TT. suited connectors, small pair, maybe 2 paint. I would bet to flop since it looks like it would miss many people and you dont want to give a free card.

#2 raising depends on the players that limped. Passive players I say raise since they will only challenge you with a better hand. LAG players I would limp.
I dont play 10/20 but I figured Id put in my 2 cents.

W. Deranged
09-02-2005, 04:07 PM
1. Reraise hand #1. Making sure the big blind folds is coo. With that many cold-callers there are surely some of your opponents who are either: a) playing smaller pairs; b) sharing an assload of each other's outs; c) playing hands that don't have more than one overcard. You are raising for value primarily here. Don't worry about the pot distortion effects. As it is, the pot is already so big that it's going to be damn hard to protect your hand on any of the future streets. Just raise to build a big ass pot which you'll win more often than the other folks. Hey, MP pfr could cap with AK and force a couple others out anyway.

2. Raise this out of the small blind. Again, for value. Plan on lead-three-betting the flop, rather than check-raising, since you can't identify the source of the bet and many players are likely to raise worse As and flush draws on this board anyway.

As played I think it would be hard to check-raise the turn, as since you capped often you'll face a check-behind on the turn.