PDA

View Full Version : An embarrassing QQ that I played like a donk

ajmargarine
09-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I donked it up in this hand. Comments and ridicule welcome.

.50/$1 NLHE Full Table

Villian ($75)
Hero ($120)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of .50.
UTG calls $1, 1 fold, Hero raises to $6, 1 fold, Villian raises to $12, 6 folds, Hero calls $6.

I raised a bit more than normal because UTG is a huge calling station and I wanted to isolate him. Villian minraises me and my plans change. He just sat down and is a complete unknown at this time. Against unknown, I am thinking JJ, KK, AA, or AK.

Flop: (~$25) J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero checks, Villian bets $1, Hero raises to $8, Villian calls $7.

J high flop is not so good for me. His dollar donkbet completely confuses me and must set me off on the later streets. I was prepared to fold to a 3-bet.

Turn: (~$40) 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero bets $2, Villian calls $2.

River: (~$44) 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero bets $2, Villian calls $2.

By the river it should be apparent my QQ is probably good. Maybe I donked it up for metagame purposes. Yeah, that's it. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif What do you do on the flop in this situation and what's your plan for the rest of the hand?

4_2_it
09-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I liked your pre-flop and flop lines. (Based on how this turned out, the $1 min bet might have been a misclick, though only an insane person would consider this during play).

Keep the pressure on the turn and get villain all-in on river as long he shows no agression on the turn. If he shows aggression, I'm probably still calling this down. I think you are looking at AKs.

Granted you might have run into a calling station who is afraid to raise his KK in fear of your AA, but this is the type of board that QQ usually makes a killing.

orange
09-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I like PF and flop. I suppose the turn/river were $2 blockers? I would 2/3pot the turn and check/call the river vs an unknown. Maybe even 1/2 or 2/3 block the river for value. I think YHIG.

Isura
09-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I like 25 on the turn, and a block on that kind of river card.

ajmargarine
09-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, I can honestly say I've never played a hand like this where I donkbet both the turn and river. I had no plan whatsoever behind those $2 bets. Villian had TT and MHIG.

Now, if I had played this hand 10 minutes later, I would have stacked him. It became apparent that villian was a maniac donk/fish who played about 90% of his hands and PFR'd about 40% of those. He was constantly bluffing and showing. He hovered between $30 and $150 for about an hour before busting. I tightened up hoping to catch him. Got only 3 pots from him. This one, an AQ hand with a Q high board where I also had the nut flush draw when he called me on the flop and turn for about $25, and then I had A6 in the BB and called him down on an 888 flop and my A high scooped.

theweatherman
09-02-2005, 06:00 PM
What the hell?

Raise ~1/3 of pot on the flop? I'd raise an overpair more. Although I can see doing this only so to keep a jack from folding

2 dollars on the turn?!?!?!?! huh? Bet like you got a pair (not just cards i mean) even if you dont his cold calling is ridiculous and does not suggest anything of strenght to me. If he had AA KK or especially JJ he'd raise for value/ to take it down right here.

What does the $2 beton the river do? Nothing is the answer. If he beats you hes gonna riase and then you lose two extra dollars on top. If not he certainly is not folding anything but you only get $2. In summary the river bet sucks.

Play your overpair like it is the strong hand it is, quit being such a little girl about it.

wdeadwyler
09-02-2005, 06:07 PM
How can anyone like this hand. If you DO decide to checkraise the flop, check pot it. Then 2/3 on the turn. The rest in on the river. This min betting business is garbage.