PDA

View Full Version : The chase, part 5,689,732

leon
04-19-2003, 01:24 AM
Sometimes you just have to shake your head...

Good online game. Several people playing any ace, some for multiple bets. I pick up AJ offsoot and raise UTG+2. MP cold calls, CO cold calls, button cold calls. Nice. Exactly what I wanted.

The flop comes A 3 7 with two clubs. I probably have the best hand, unless an ace-weak hit two pair. Unfortunately I can't count on a late bet/check raise to try and thin things, so I bet out. ALL CALL. Hmmm. At this point I put at least one on an ace and at least one on a draw. I plan on betting the turn if no club falls, and if someone's slow-playing a monster I'll hear from them at that point.

Turn is an offsuit Q. I bet, ALL CALL?! I'm either way ahead or way behind or somewhere in the middle.

The river is an offsuit 2. Final board A 3 6 Q 2, no flush. I check b/c I feel there's a good chance one pair is no good. MP bets, CO calls, button OVERCALLS...

This is too funny. We can't ALL have aces. And any draw missed, besides 45, and if they're playing 45... god bless em.

I throw in one more bet, honestly mostly out of frustration but partially b/c the pot is large and no one has given me any indication I'm beat.

MP turns over KK (ok, I can beat that). CO mucks without showing (a missed draw? What did he pick up that he could call with?). Button turns over A9 offsoot (there's one weak ace). I show the winner.

I guess my river check induced a bluff, induced a call, and induced an OVERCALL. Meanwhile I feel like a moron for over-over-calling.

Feel free to critique my play if you want, but I just thought this hand was amusing enough to share.

Leon

elysium
04-19-2003, 03:40 AM
hi leon
played that same hand tonight. i was the weak ace in this instance, not exactly the same, but very similar. i think i , oh o.k., i was the lousy MP. i did it, A9o....the UTG limped in leon, oh for crying out, alright i did it.

hot tub man # 1
04-19-2003, 01:29 PM
I dont think you can check the river here. Neither of your opponents showed any strength throughout the hand. I think they both call if you bet as well. Dont give them a chance to save bets, you likely would have heard from one of them on the turn if you were behind. If the 2 of clubs hits, then its an obvious check.

Softrock
04-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Why would you feel like a moron for over-over-calling when you had the winner? Sometimes in these types of games you really don't know where you're at and have to just call. I would not have been certain enough I was ahead to bet and would certainly not have been able to muck in this situation. So the alternative is.... just what you did.

leon
04-19-2003, 04:26 PM
I was partially joking about feeling like a moron. It's just that overcalling generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and OVERovercalling, well...

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Leon

leon
04-19-2003, 04:32 PM
"I dont think you can check the river here. Neither of your opponents showed any strength throughout the hand. I think they both call if you bet as well. Dont give them a chance to save bets, you likely would have heard from one of them on the turn if you were behind."

This also went through my mind at the time. However, first notice that I had 3 opponents, not two. I strongly feel one of them might not have called a final bet, although their previous actions did show somewhat of a propensity to call /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

That being said, I can imagine MP with KK facing a river bet, and saying, "you know what, I called all this way, and no K showed up, and one of these guys has to have an ace. I'm folding". Ditto CO who I still don't know what he called with- "this guy open raised and has been betting the whole way. I'm probably dead. I fold". I'm pretty sure the weak ace is calling no matter what, but I think I lose at least one of the other guys if I bet.

Things had to be perfect in my mind for this situation to work out- KK decided to take a shot, and CO says, "well, the original bettor checked now, and I don't know what this new guy has, so I guess I'll call". Weak ace again calls.

At this point I'm still amazed at the way this played out. Mind you, as I explained before, I didn't check the river b/c I knew I could get three more bets that way- good fortune just happened. Right play, different reasons. I also think a final bet isn't bad either.

Leon

hot tub man # 1
04-19-2003, 04:38 PM

Rushmore
04-20-2003, 08:33 AM
. I pick up AJ offsoot and raise UTG+2. MP cold calls, CO cold calls, button cold calls. Nice. Exactly what I wanted.

I can't think of much I would less rather see with AJ, even at this table (as evidenced by the fact that you did not have the best hand preflop, and could have just as easily flopped a jack for top pair/top kicker, gotten married to the hand, and lost quite a few bets driving with second best).

That said, everything looks fine. You can't possibly lay your hand down at the end here. Over-over call or not, with this pot, and against this field, I'd say it's a mandatory call.

P.S. I love a guy who doesn't 3-bet preflop with KK.