PDA

View Full Version : Boston cost of living

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 12:46 PM
I live in Western New York, where the cost of living is really low. I've been offered a job in Boston making significantly more than I do now (to be expected), but I'm unsure if it's appropriate, considering my impression of the cost of living.

Generally speaking, what does it take to live comfortably in the Boston area? Does anyone know the area well enough to recommend some cheap(er) places to live comfortably that are within commuting distance?

Long story short, I'm looking for a ballpark salary so that I can live there comfortably. Any input is appreciated.

Sponger15SB
09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
www.google.com (http://www.google.com)

kenberman
09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in Western New York, where the cost of living is really low. I've been offered a job in Boston making significantly more than I do now (to be expected), but I'm unsure if it's appropriate, considering my impression of the cost of living.

Generally speaking, what does it take to live comfortably in the Boston area? Does anyone know the area well enough to recommend some cheap(er) places to live comfortably that are within commuting distance?

Long story short, I'm looking for a ballpark salary so that I can live there comfortably. Any input is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

most of what you're asking is subjective.

I'd say the Boston area is at least 50% more expensive (as far as housing goes) than Western NY, probably more.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Monster.com has a cost of living comparison calc that compares places.

TheWorstPlayer
09-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Cost of living in Boston is very high. One of the highest in the country. Comparable, although slightly cheaper, to Manhattan. It is impossible to say how much you have to make to be 'comfortable' because I don't know what 'comfortable' means to you or what your family/lifestyle situation is like. But if you're currently living very cheaply, I would think you would want to see something like a 25-40% raise to make moving worthwhile from a monetary perspective. Of course living in Boston is a lot more fun than living in Western New York, so you might want to take that into account as well. And you can find cheaper places to stay if you look outside of the downtown Boston/Cambridge area. Look at spots like Somerville, Medford, Allston, Brighton, etc.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I've googled it and taken a look at some of the calculators that exist, but I don't think it's as formula driven as they purport it to be. According to most calculators, my jump in salary will actually cover my lifestyle by a fair amount...but from the math I've done, it doesn't seem so straightforward. Most decent apartments I've seen go for well over $1000/month. Some studios in the $1200+ range. Decent apartments around here can be found for $600.

Jurollo
Massacusetts imparticular has an extremely inflated housing market, although Boston isn't the worst in the state it is still really high. The Worcester/Shrewsbury area is ridiculous though. Generally speaking the raise would need to be significant to move if you are comfortable where you are. But if the new job would be more challenging/fulfilling I am sure you will make due.
~Justin

sublime
hey bro-

currently i live in Quincy, which is a outlieng town. i pay $1k a month in rent, and that includes everything. I can walk to the train and am about a 10 minute drive (no traffic) from the heart of the city.

The most cost effective places to live are probably north of the city (somerville, everett, malden) with south of the city being a little more expensive.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look at spots like Somerville, Medford, Allston, Brighton, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks...that's definitely helpful. I realize I'm not exactly going to be living in a penthouse suite type condo. I just want something that is in good shape and bigger than a closet.

kenberman
09-02-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've googled it and taken a look at some of the calculators that exist, but I don't think it's as formula driven as they purport it to be. According to most calculators, my jump in salary will actually cover my lifestyle by a fair amount...but from the math I've done, it doesn't seem so straightforward. Most decent apartments I've seen go for well over $1000/month. Some studios in the $1200+ range. Decent apartments around here can be found for $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

keep in mind that housing may cost 100% more, but groceries and other staples might not.

sublime
09-02-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look at spots like Somerville, Medford, Allston, Brighton, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks...that's definitely helpful. I realize I'm not exactly going to be living in a penthouse suite type condo. I just want something that is in good shape and bigger than a closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of these areas are very multi cultural. not sure if that matters to you, just a heads up.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
keep in mind that housing may cost 100% more, but groceries and other staples might not.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's definitely something I hadn't really considered. Excellent point. Groceries/etc. don't really count for much of my cost of living at this point. I generally keep the bare essentials and have little need for anything extra...but every little cost cutting/analysis device is helpful.

kenberman
09-02-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey bro-

currently i live in Quincy, which is a outlieng town. i pay $1k a month in rent, and that includes everything. I can walk to the train and am about a 10 minute drive (no traffic) from the heart of the city.

The most cost effective places to live are probably north of the city (somerville, everett, malden) with south of the city being a little more expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everett and Malden are cheap. a lot of somerville is as expensive as cambridge.

there's not many redeeming qualities to the allston/brighton area, unless you're a student. I would look at cambridge and somerville (depending where your job is) but don't expect to save a ton over areas like the north end. you'll get more for your money, but you won't save a lot in $'s.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Are there any areas I should specifically avoid? I just don't want to find a great deal on a place, only to find out there's a very specific reason the cost is lower.

sublime
09-02-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey bro-

[/ QUOTE ]

Everett and Malden are cheap. a lot of somerville is as expensive as cambridge.

there's not many redeeming qualities to the allston/brighton area, unless you're a student. I would look at cambridge and somerville (depending where your job is) but don't expect to save a ton over areas like the north end. you'll get more for your money, but you won't save a lot in $'s.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, somerville can be pricey. hell the whole metro area is. unreal how much we pay to live in a city filled with potholes, no parking spaces and shitty weather.

kenberman
09-02-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any areas I should specifically avoid? I just don't want to find a great deal on a place, only to find out there's a very specific reason the cost is lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

where will you be commuting to?

sublime
09-02-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roxbury

TheWorstPlayer
09-02-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roxbury

[/ QUOTE ]
Dot. Mattapan.

sublime
09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roxbury

[/ QUOTE ]
Dot. Mattapan.

[/ QUOTE ]

some ok areas in dot (dorchester)

around the jfk/umass area and heading towards southie a large contingent of gays bought a lot of real estate and the area is ok now.

TheWorstPlayer
09-02-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roxbury

[/ QUOTE ]
Dot. Mattapan.

[/ QUOTE ]

around the jfk/umass area and heading towards southie a large contingent of gays bought a lot of real estate and the area is ok now.

[/ QUOTE ]
'ok' and flaming - sounds like just where I want to live.

sublime
09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roxbury

[/ QUOTE ]
Dot. Mattapan.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
'ok' and flaming - sounds like just where I want to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

not flaming, just nicer.

NotMitch
09-02-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not cheap, I was paying $1k a month for a studio in Davis Sq which is a nice area to live in. Its 2 subways stops from Harvard Sq and about 8 from downtown.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Is the subway the best way to go? I've never lived in an area with a subway. I think that might save me a ton on car costs.

Has anyone ever successfully found a decent roommate online? I really hesitate to go that way, but I think it might alleviate a lot of my cost.

jba
09-02-2005, 02:10 PM
where (location wise) is the job going to be?

do you plan on having a car? are you dead set against keeping a car? there are some places in the city that are fairly cost effective if you don't need a car and there are a lot of places you can live/work where you don't need one (I don't have one and it's great). Not having a car shaves several hundred off the monthly budget, so you can spend more for a nicer place more in the city. this depends a lot on how much you work and how psychologically tied to your car you are.

a lot also depends on what type of environment you want. a lot of places in somerville (like davis sq -- cool place to live) have the "hip urban" feel, lots of 20-something+ professional single people, bars, cafes, etc. Brighton/Allston also cheap place but tons (and tons) of college students, this may or not be a good thing. Places like medford and arlington are more like suburbs which means it's cheaper, you definitely need a car, and much less hip.

kenmore/fenway, south end, back bay, beacon hill get more expensive in that order, but are in the city, there are tons of things to do in walking/T distance, and tons of chicks.

and cambridge is a bunch of hippies and students if you're into that. the nice places are expensive, but there are some cheaper places, but also some scary neighborhoods especially in the central sq area (some are really nice though, it really depends on where -- find someone that knows the area and ask them).

I would also recommend coolidge corner and cleveland circle in brookline. coolidge is cool but a bit older (i'm guessing 30 avg age of the young professional crowd), closer to the city (about 15 mins by train). cleveland circle has a lot of BC students and is pretty cheap for how close it is to the city (15-20 mins by train).

also I assume you will be living alone? if you take on roommates it's obviously much cheaper, but roommates in generally usually suck.

also if you are keeping a car definitely find out about the parking situation, depending on the area it can totally and completely kick your ass. one of my old apartments I used to have to drive around for 30 mins looking for parking every night and still walk a half a mile. alternative is renting a 200/month parking space (even outside of the city you are often looking at 100 or so if no space is included with the apt).

good luck man keep us posted

jba
09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone ever successfully found a decent roommate online? I really hesitate to go that way, but I think it might alleviate a lot of my cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found my first place here (http://www.bostonapartments.com/roomates.htm), and craigslist has a ton of apartment shares. it is a ton cheaper, but it's basically a crapshoot. be prepared to go through an interview process with your prospective roommates before they let you move in, that helps to make sure they're at least not a bunch of weirdos, but it's still a crapshoot. FWIW all of my roommates that I had were awesome and some of my best friends now, but basically I got lucky. and I would never have roommates again, it's just a lot better without them IMO.

but aside from the savings on rent you will be saving a ton on cable, internet, electric, etc. you will save several hundred/month.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. The job is actually significantly north of Boston, in Lawrence. This has all come to fruition very, very quickly so I'm still gathering all kinds of details. I highly doubt I'll actually end up in Boston proper, based on my MapQuest results. It looks like I'll end up to the north.

Slow Play Ray
09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply. The job is actually significantly north of Boston, in Lawrence.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have plenty of reasonable options then; there is no need for you to live in Boston.

jba
09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply. The job is actually significantly north of Boston, in Lawrence. This has all come to fruition very, very quickly so I'm still gathering all kinds of details. I highly doubt I'll actually end up in Boston proper, based on my MapQuest results. It looks like I'll end up to the north.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're definitely keeping the car. I would put medford, somerville, and malden on your short list if you want to be a bit closer to the city. anything outside of 95 is basically the suburbs. I've heard a lot of good things about malden.

and you should be able to find a studio/1 br for <1000.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks again. I'll definitely look into those places...actually just got an e-mail from my potential future employer that named a few of those towns.

I'd definitely like to be as close to the city as possible, to the point I can afford. I don't mind a commute, I've dealt with that my entire life. Driving 1/2 hour+ to work doesn't bother me. Although, with these gas prices, it might be a future consideration.

Lazymeatball
09-02-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply. The job is actually significantly north of Boston, in Lawrence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay in Western New York.

BoogerFace
09-02-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply. The job is actually significantly north of Boston, in Lawrence. It looks like I'll end up to the north.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you visit Lawrence before you make a decision. Lawrence is around an hour drive from the interesting stuff in Boston/Cambridge and is a lot closer to Nashua NH, which is a great place to raise a family and doesn't have a lot to offer for single people.

BoogerFace
09-02-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Reason? I'd be interested.

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you visit Lawrence before you make a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind a 1/2 hour commute to Boston/Work (finding the midpoint). The number of apartments/places for rent in this area is absolutely daunting compared to the crap they have around here.

sublime
09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply. The job is actually significantly north of Boston, in Lawrence. It looks like I'll end up to the north.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you visit Lawrence before you make a decision. Lawrence is around an hour drive from the interesting stuff in Boston/Cambridge and is a lot closer to Nashua NH, which is a great place to raise a family and doesn't have a lot to offer for single people.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, living in NH sounds a lot more feasible.

lawrence is mostly the suck btw.

sublime
09-02-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind a 1/2 hour commute to Boston/Work (finding the midpoint). The number of apartments/places for rent in this area is absolutely daunting compared to the crap they have around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lawrence is flooded with crime and drugs.

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Interesting. How do taxes/residency work if you live in one state and commute to another for employment?

sublime
09-02-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. How do taxes/residency work if you live in one state and commute to another for employment?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure you pay income tax for money earned in MASS.

NH has no sales tax, car insurance is OPTIONAL and your commute would/should be traffic free.

the rent would be much lower methinks.

if the allure of the big city isnt that important to you, i think living in NH would be much better financially.

BoogerFace
09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence is an old mill town. (read: dumpy.) The traffic in that area is horrible due to the New Hampshire crowd commuting to places along I-495 and 128 (I-95).

I think it would be fine if you wanted to rent in Cambridge/Somerville/Newton/Arlington and were willing to drive 45 minutes to work. But rents in these areas are very 'spensive - we pay $1800 plus utils for a three bedroom in Newton. Studios in Newton are $1000+ and a 2 bedroom will run around $1400ish. Keep in mind that it's not just rents that are higher inside 128, but everything is 10-20% higher (groceries, restaurant meals, car insurance, ect.) I live in Newton because it's safer and relatively close to the city, and I can park in my driveway. I do work out in the burbs and going downtown after work for drinks is just plain old unrealistic. You have to keep in mind that it takes twice as long to get to places after work.

I wouldn't live in Allston/Brighton because there are nasty problems in those areas with bedbugs. Anything outside 128 is going to feel more like western NY, only more expensive.

How old are you? Boston has a huge shortage of people between the ages of 25 and 35. Why? It's just too damn expensive around here. Med school grads opt to move away where their paychecks will go further. Condos in bad neighborhoods start at 250k and single families start at 400k.

It all depends on what you want. If you want to have lots of fun on pub crawls in Cambridge, go for it.

I wouldn't do it if you are trying to get ahead financially.

BoogerFace
09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH has no sales tax, car insurance is OPTIONAL and your commute would be hell.

if the allure of the big city isnt that important to you, i think living in NH would be much better financially.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the honest answer. I'm 24, working on 25. I haven't accepted the position yet, I'm really just in the feel out stage at this point. If I can get $65-70k, I'll consider it. If I can't, it might not be worth the adjustment.

Indiana
09-02-2005, 03:07 PM
The cost of living in Boston would be my last concern, I'd be really concerned about having to live around all those Bostonians every day.

Indy

jba
09-02-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The cost of living in Boston would be my last concern, I'd be really concerned about having to live around all those Bostonians every day.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

disregard the bitter colts fans

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I lived in Indiana. That's the dwarf calling the midget short if I've ever heard it. At least I'm not in denial that Buffalo sucks /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

NotMitch
09-02-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the subway the best way to go? I've never lived in an area with a subway. I think that might save me a ton on car costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

To get downtown yes, I do see however the job is in Lawrence. I disagree that it is better to live in NH and commute in. Live somewhere near Boston but on the north side like Sommerville, Malden, Medford, and the traffic wont be bad because you are going against the flow and then on weekends and such you are still right near Boston and can take advantage of that. Just my $.02

LetYouDown
09-02-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To get downtown yes, I do see however the job is in Lawrence. I disagree that it is better to live in NH and commute in. Live somewhere near Boston but on the north side like Sommerville, Malden, Medford, and the traffic wont be bad because you are going against the flow and then on weekends and such you are still right near Boston and can take advantage of that. Just my $.02

[/ QUOTE ]

That was essentially the plan. Basically the entire reason I have this opportunity is that a guy I used to work for is now pretty high up in this company. He offered me the job based on the work I've done for him previously. He lives in one of those towns that you mentioned, trying to find the best of both worlds I guess...considering where the job is located.

BoogerFace
09-02-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the honest answer. I'm 24, working on 25. I haven't accepted the position yet, I'm really just in the feel out stage at this point. If I can get $65-70k, I'll consider it. If I can't, it might not be worth the adjustment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Women your age are relatively scarce around these parts. Most finish college, hang out for a couple years and head back home.

You might want to visit for a weekend and check things out for yourself. See an apartment or two.

Slow Play Ray
09-02-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sublime
09-02-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

coming down on 93?

NotMitch
09-02-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

coming down on 93?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the commute from NH to Boston for a while, getting to Lawrence wasnt too bad, it was everything south of that.

BoogerFace
09-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Yes. Both 93 and 3 are jammed by NH commuters.

I have friends who live in Westford MA and all the backroads are a problem as well.

youtalkfunny
09-03-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you speak Spanish?

I grew up in Methuen, which borders Lawrence. I can tell you everything you want to know about Lawrence in six words: YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE THERE.

I haven't lived in that area for a while, so I don't know if Lawrence is still the pit that it once was. But a quick drive through any part of the town, and you will see more signs in Spanish than English. I've got kids, and it's important to me that their school teachers speak English fluently, so Lawrence was the first place I crossed off my list.

I was planning on moving back to that area this summer. I scrubbed those plans when I saw that I would have to pay double the rent I'm paying now, to live in a crappier place (all the homes where I live now are new, spacious, and energy-efficient; all the homes up there are old, tiny, crowded together, and energy inefficient).

Forget about public transportation if Lawrence is involved. You'll need a car. Expect your car insurance rates to double or triple.

Renting in New Hampshire is NOT cheaper. Believe me, I spent the summer looking. NH has no income tax or sales tax, so they make their hay with property taxes--and the landlord has to pass that expense on to you.

Lawrence is surrounded by some nice suburban towns: Methuen to the north (nice), North Andover to the east (nice), Haverhill just beyond that (which I'm told was once crappy, but is now up and coming), and Andover to the south (Beverly Freaking Hills). I never went south of Andover much, but Wilmington, Tewksbury, North Reading, and Reading seem like nice suburban towns. Stay away from Lowell.

You'll notice that many Lawrence real estate ads say, "Near the Methuen line", or "Near the Andover line". You never see ads from those towns that say, "Near the Lawrence line".

Incongrously, the kids from Andover and Lawrence get along surprisingly well. The Lawrence kids go to Andover to work in the country clubs, and the Andover kids go to Lawrence to buy their drugs.

So get a car, get a roommate so you can afford the car, and enjoy the suburbs. Go catch a Red Sox game every now and then. Just buy your ticket from a scalper, three years in advance, and allow 2-3 hours for traffic.

dibbs
09-03-2005, 05:18 AM
If it's up in Lawrence I'd recommend Southern NH, unless you are determined to absorb the city scents.

Really determines what you want I guess, if you dig a more relaxed atmosphere at a cheaper price SNH could be for you.

I've heard mixed things about the commute (backed up by some posts on here). To Law shouldnt be bad on 93 but my buddy who did it moved a few years ago so who knows.

I'd avoid getting a place in Lawrence FWIW.

Best of luck.

Uglyowl
09-03-2005, 02:47 PM
I will never work in Boston again. Traffic is the suck.