PDA

View Full Version : If you are schocked about NO so far....

Arnfinn Madsen
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
A Norwegian guy joined some volunteers with a boat going into New Orleans to evacuate people. They were there for two days, but did not see one government boat evacuating anyone. They managed to evacuate 120 people, some of them very ill, but when they went to the hospital armed guards denied them entry, so they had to leave the ill people in the street.

jokerthief
09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Heads need to roll because of this. This almost seem to be purposeful.

kenberman
09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
interesting article about what would happen if an unexpected attack occured to a major us city.

web page (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/09/02/storm_disaster_fuels_doubts_over_us_terror_plans/)

been side a hundred times already, but it's clear the US federal agencies were, and are, disgustingly ill prepared for an event like this.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't discredit what you say entirely. But you probably got it at least second or third hand. Chances are the hospital in question was already completely overwhelmed and has had no choice but to turn away all but the most serious cases.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 01:08 PM
On MSNBC they have a story about of group of 250 tourists that tried to evac NOLA enmasse via a bridge into Kenner.

They were not allowed to cross the bridge and had warning shots fired in the air when they tried to question it.

A local resident felt sorry for them and led them around a back route into a shelter in Kenner.

Arnfinn Madsen
09-02-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't discredit what you say entirely. But you probably got it at least second or third hand. Chances are the hospital in question was already completely overwhelmed and has had no choice but to turn away all but the most serious cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard it directly from this guy.

highlife
09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, sounds completely credible.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still guessing that every bed, chair, gurney and inch of floorspace in that place was full and the doctors had been on for 48 hours straight.

Jurollo
09-02-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still guessing that every bed, chair, gurney and inch of floorspace in that place was full and the doctors had been on for 48 hours straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was an interview witha doctor who left the superdome because he feared for his life. They are averaging 3 murders, 6 rapes and even more violence in the superdome area alone is hampering the evacuation process exponentially. If we only had more troops on US soil to come help with this. (Needless political anti-war propaganda)
~Justin

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we only had more troops on US soil to come help with this. (Needless political anti-war propaganda) ~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Needless and ridiculous. There are plenty of troops on US soil.

Arnfinn Madsen
09-02-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, why should I lie about that?

Voltron87
09-02-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If we only had more troops on US soil to come help with this. (Needless political anti-war propaganda) ~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the idea that the war in iraq is using up all our troops is just untrue. but the 100 billion+ cost does have a big economic impact.

jokerthief
09-02-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, why should I lie about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, you can see what Arnfinn is talking about by watching the news.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, the idea that the war in iraq is using up all our troops is just untrue. but the 100 billion+ cost does have a big economic impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't arguing the logical/illogical, moral/immoral, necessity/unnecessary issues of the war itself. Just what you said, there is no shortage of personnel.

jedi
09-02-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There was an interview witha doctor who left the superdome because he feared for his life. They are averaging 3 murders, 6 rapes and even more violence in the superdome area alone is hampering the evacuation process exponentially. If we only had more troops on US soil to come help with this. (Needless political anti-war propaganda)
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell is this stuff happening? The place is crowded enough that any murders or rapes should be stopped by bystanders nearby. What's going on here?

Jurollo
09-02-2005, 01:42 PM
My comment was mainly tongue in cheek about the troops. I didn't say it was true, just needless propaganda. As far as the murders go, people have smuggled guns and other weapons into the superdome area. There have been at least 10 murders, a suicide, and 15 rapes.
~Justin

KaneKungFu123
09-02-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell is this stuff happening? The place is crowded enough that any murders or rapes should be stopped by bystanders nearby. What's going on here?

[/ QUOTE ]

"armed gangs are raping women," ive heard that quoted from numerous news sources.

think about this from a Thug4Life/Tupac perspective: you got the gunz and the pigs out numbered!

Voltron87
09-02-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"armed gangs are raping women," ive heard that quoted from numerous news sources.

think about this from a Thug4Life/Tupac perspective: you got the gunz and the pigs out numbered!

[/ QUOTE ]

kane, feel free to make a post not about rape. anytime.

beernutz
09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. I don't argue that crimes aren't being committed but if you include the army and other LEOs in N.O. from other parts of the country there are 4x more law enforcement authories in N.O. now than prior to the hurricane and only 20% of the previous population.

Would I feel completely safe there? No. Do I think the media is overblowing some of the crime in N.O.? Duh. Face it, it wasn't the safest city in the world before the hurricane.

KaneKungFu123
09-02-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. I don't argue that crimes aren't being committed but if you include the army and other LEOs in N.O. from other parts of the country there are 4x more law enforcement authories in N.O. now than prior to the hurricane and only 20% of the previous population.

Would I feel completely safe there? No. Do I think the media is overblowing some of the crime in N.O.? Duh. Face it, it wasn't the safest city in the world before the hurricane.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? i heard a mad percent of NO cops quit/left town?

regardless: from the 30 yrd line to the 50 is the Crips Land NIGGAZ h@LL@!!!!

wacki
09-02-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arfin makes lots of crazy claims, some true and some patently false IMO. He never provides a source when asked to because every time he happens to know the source direct but can't mention any names.

Can somebody give us a link? Google turned up nothing and I would think DailyKos/CNN would be all over this.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Arfin makes lots of crazy claims, some true and some patently false IMO. He never provides a source when asked to because every time he happens to know the source direct but can't mention any names.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from this it's really hard to tkae him seriously because I picture him as his squirrely little avatar guy.

mosta
09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm very critical of the effectiveness of this relief effort, both in planning and execution. but I think this story you read is inaccurate, misrepresentative, and in a way inappropriate. I walked by a convoy of about 50 flat boats rolling in on decatur tuesday morning. that afternoon, across the river on the way to baton rouge, I passed another convoy of air boats. there are boats there. there are scads of private citizens working in their own boats. there are significant efforts being made. it's been botched and disgraceful overall. but it's not nothing going on. to think that would be to ignore or dismiss heroic efforts by many people in the water there.

RunDownHouse
09-02-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On MSNBC they have a story about of group of 250 tourists that tried to evac NOLA enmasse via a bridge into Kenner.

They were not allowed to cross the bridge and had warning shots fired in the air when they tried to question it.

A local resident felt sorry for them and led them around a back route into a shelter in Kenner.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"Bigfoot" is a bar manager and DJ on Bourbon Street, and is a local personality and icon in the city. He is a lifelong resident of the city, born and raised. He rode out the storm itself in the Iberville Projects because he knew he would be above any flood waters. Here is his story as told to me moments ago. I took notes while he talked and then I asked some questions:

Three days ago, police and national guard troops told citizens to head toward the Crescent City Connection Bridge to await transportation out of the area. The citizens trekked over to the Convention Center and waited for the buses which they were told would take them to Houston or Alabama or somewhere else, out of this area.

It's been 3 days, and the buses have yet to appear.

Although obviously he has no exact count, he estimates more than 10,000 people are packed into and around and outside the convention center still waiting for the buses. They had no food, no water, and no medicine for the last three days, until today, when the National Guard drove over the bridge above them, and tossed out supplies over the side crashing down to the ground below. Much of the supplies were destroyed from the drop. Many people tried to catch the supplies to protect them before they hit the ground. Some offered to walk all the way around up the bridge and bring the supplies down, but any attempt to approach the police or national guard resulted in weapons being aimed at them.

There are many infants and elderly people among them, as well as many people who were injured jumping out of windows to escape flood water and the like -- all of them in dire straights.

Any attempt to flag down police results in being told to get away at gunpoint. Hour after hour they watch buses pass by filled with people from other areas. Tensions are very high, and there has been at least one murder and several fights. 8 or 9 dead people have been stored in a freezer in the area, and 2 of these dead people are kids.

The people are so desperate that they're doing anything they can think of to impress the authorities enough to bring some buses. These things include standing in single file lines with the eldery in front, women and children next; sweeping up the area and cleaning the windows and anything else that would show the people are not barbarians.

The buses never stop.

Before the supplies were pitched off the bridge today, people had to break into buildings in the area to try to find food and water for their families. There was not enough. This spurred many families to break into cars to try to escape the city. There was no police response to the auto thefts until the mob reached the rich area -- Saulet Condos -- once they tried to get cars from there... well then the whole swat teams began showing up with rifles pointed. Snipers got on the roof and told people to get back.

He reports that the conditions are horrendous. Heat, mosquitoes and utter misery. The smell, he says, is "horrific."

He says it's the slowest mandatory evacuation ever, and he wants to know why they were told to go to the Convention Center area in the first place; furthermore, he reports that many of them with cell phones have contacts willing to come rescue them, but people are not being allowed through to pick them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

From this (http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/) blog, posted a day or two ago by Swede (I think).

Ulysses
09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read in media/blog reports, in the superdome, apparently the robberies/rapes/murders have been largely taking place in the restrooms.

In the streets in some areas, it's groups of guys w/ guns roaming around doing whatever they please.

Arnfinn Madsen
09-02-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can somebody give us a link? Google turned up nothing and I would think DailyKos/CNN would be all over this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is because I have generally good sources, Wacki, receiving information not publicly available in many instances. I assure you I never lie, it is a hard principle in my life, but posting under my real name (quite famous in some circles) makes it a bit delicate to source sometimes.

EDIT: Of course I may be lied to in some instances, so therefore I might be broadcasting a lie sometimes.