PDA

View Full Version : Blind Defense with J9s

DavidC
09-02-2005, 12:32 PM
10 handed game at 2/4. The pots were nice when there were two fish, but one of the fish left and was replaced by an "established" TAA (i.e. I recognised his user name before the stats popped up).

Looking around the table, to my direct left are seated four TAA, a TPP, a LPP, an unknown, the TAA aforementioned, and a SLPP.

The "established" TAA, who in this hand is in the CO, just lost a blind steal attempt on the button last hand. He had oepned with QT, bet the flop unimproved, bet the turn vs a check-called with a gutshot and overcards and turn unimproved, and took a free-showdown on a four-straight board with rivered top pair. Villain in that hand (me) shows T9s for the win, with two pair.

----------------

PF:

Folded to the TAA, who open-raises in the CO. Button folds, I call in the SB with J9s, TAA in the BB calls.

Flop is AA4r. 3-ways for 6 bets. I bet.

My plan is: If the BB TAA calls, this is my last money in the pot. If the CO calls, I'm torn between this being my last shot and betting the turn once more to see if he will fold something. If he raises me, it's all over, of course.

Is this reasonable?

--Dave.

Evan
09-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Your preflop call is horrible. I don't really like the flop bet either, but you're losing more preflop.

EDIT: I thougth this was 3/6, I just realized it's 2/4. Your preflop call is less bad now, but still bad. Don't call blind steals in the SB, 3 bet or fold.

DavidC
09-02-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your preflop call is horrible. I don't really like the flop bet either, but you're losing more preflop.

EDIT: I thougth this was 3/6, I just realized it's 2/4. Your preflop call is less bad now, but still bad. Don't call blind steals in the SB, 3 bet or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... makes sense (dif between 3/6 and 2/4)

However... I'm a little confused about what I should be defending blinds with. Is there a post that you would recommend I read on this subject?

--Dave.

Edit: Also, why don't you like the flop bet? It might be a little too transparent...

Bodhi
09-02-2005, 01:29 PM
This sounds like really bad table selection, especially if it was a live game. Fwiw, I 3bet preflop to get it hu if I'm going to play at all, though normally I don't defend my SB unless I have something better than J9s.

sy_or_bust
09-02-2005, 01:55 PM
You need more than 'TAA' to defend here. Att. to Steal is a big issue, and it ranges from 10-50 for tight players. Plus, if both you and the BB are tight, he may be raising especially light. Then a preflop 3-bet makes a lot more sense, and probably steals this pot a lot. The preflop call is just ugly.

SmileyEH
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
fps

-SmileyEH

MyTurn2Raise
09-02-2005, 07:17 PM
who was the player and at what site?

Chris Daddy Cool
09-02-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My plan is: If the BB TAA calls, this is my last money in the pot. If the CO calls, I'm torn between this being my last shot and betting the turn once more to see if he will fold something. If he raises me, it's all over, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem here is that the CO isn't going to give up the flop that easily usually. he is usually going to peel and see a turn, whether he has something bad or not.

Dagger78
09-02-2005, 07:40 PM
3 bet or fold in the SB.

Fold this hand in particular. Don't lead this flop, you'll have to be continuing with a turn bet to steal this pot, not worth it