PDA

View Full Version : AKo... hold or fold?

09-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Villain just sat down at table... never seen before, check PT when he sat. I had AKo LMP, I 3 bet to his raise.

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: is Blockndig with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, K /images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Blockndig 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Blockndig bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Blockndig bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Blockndig 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>.

River: (13.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Blockndig raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

Thoughts?

speirs
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Nice aggressive play. I tend to back down when being checkraised on the turn. I hope you took it down.

milesdyson
09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice aggressive play. I tend to back down when being checkraised on the turn. I hope you took it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
you should back down on the turn. this is extremely overaggressive.

to the original poster: he capped the turn on A528 - what hand does he have that you now beat with the river ace?

numeri
09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if I like the 3-bet on the turn. Then again, I'm not sure what the 8 did to help. Villain's cap on the turn blatantly says 'I can beat TPTK'. You obviously have at least TP with your 3-bet, so his cap doesn't bode well. The lead into you on the river is even scarier, so I call the river.

09-02-2005, 12:26 PM
if he had A8/A2/A5... very unlikely since he would have capped the flop... I should have picked up on his overaggression on the turn. I knew I was WB or WA if he was LAG, but I should have either called down on the turn or folded.

Final hand: villain 88 winner

numeri
09-02-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Final hand: villain xx

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't post results if you want a real discussion. You can still edit them out.

Roadstar
09-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Don't 3 bet the C/R. Without reads, you have to give villain credit for some kind of a hand - likely beating TPTK, I highly doubt AJ or AQ would do this on the turn.

And at the river, you really have to start putting the "story" of the hand together. Did the A really improve your hand? Based on the turn action - Up against any Ax two pair, villain just filled his boat, up against trips, he also got a boat. You're only beating trash hands like 85 or 82 (very unlikely)or AQ AJ (that doesn't make sense if you look at the turn action).

Only thing you can do is call down. I'm surprised villain didn't 3 bet YOU on the river...

GTSamIAm
09-02-2005, 02:52 PM
The way you played it, I would have either called or folded the river. I suspect you're not making many weaker hands call down when you 3-bet this turn. Just call down after the turn check/raise. His play up until the river resembles 8's full, but his river play is confusing.

Taxmanrick
09-02-2005, 03:55 PM
With villain waking up on the turn after the 8 hit, I would have slowed down and called his c/r. It obviouslly helped . Could have 88, A8 or slow played 55,22,A2,A5. without a read I would be cautious.

crownjules
09-02-2005, 04:12 PM
MP2 raised preflop. I'd give him a range of hands AA-99, AK-AJ (+ATs), KQ-KJ, QJs. When the flop comes, it becomes very unlikely villain holds AA, meaning you're well ahead of all possible hands, except AK, that we can reasonably place villain on. The fact that he doesn't cap means we can eliminate some of those hands, but all of this assumes a somewhat reasonable player. He calls the Ace high flop and then C/Rs you on what most would consider a turn blank. I could see him slowplaying AK/AQ in this manner, or he could have raised preflop with a hand like A8s or maybe 88. With no reads on him, it's tough to say.

The C/R is powerful, and that alone would make me slow down. The river Ace does nothing to help us if he indeed had two pair or a set prior to the river. I'd call down from the turn C/R and be sure to make notes on his play here.

istewart
09-02-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you should back down on the turn. this is extremely overaggressive.

to the original poster: he capped the turn on A528 - what hand does he have that you now beat with the river ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I'm not sure about backing down on the turn. Although I can't say I often see AQ-AT play like this, it's certainly a possibility. Of course when we see he caps it doesn't look great.

But I agree the river raise is pretty bad. You need to think about your hand value RELATIVE to his, not just in absolute "I have trips!" terms.