PDA

View Full Version : Loud-ass motorcycles

miajag81
09-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Why do some Harley and other motorcycle drivers feel the need to rev their engines at full blast while going down city/residential streets at 2 am (or any time for that matter)?

I would love to get hold of one of those spike strips the police use and toss it out in front of one of these douchebags next time one of them comes roaring down the street in front of my apartment and then hit him in the face repeatedly with a baseball bat. Fortunately I'm not a violent person.

09-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Have you seen the kind of people that ride bikes? Not exactly the Jean Georges and 4 Seasons crowd.

Los Feliz Slim
09-02-2005, 11:46 AM
I often see, or imagine I see, a very satisfied look on the face of the biker as windows shatter around him as he drives down the block.

Seriously, what's so awesome about incredibly loud noise?

RunDownHouse
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
I once followed a ricer for an hour on the highway. It had one of those huge, loud mufflers, and it drove me batshit. I can't imagine driving around with that "BZZZZZ" all the time. The only way I figured the driver could stand it was that his techno was loud enough to drown it out.

miajag81
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
My theory is that there's actually a demographic of women who get extremely wet when they see some random fat dude tearing down the street setting off car alarms and waking people up. What other incentive would they have to do it?

sfer
09-02-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to get hold of one of those spike strips the police use and toss it out in front of one of these douchebags next time one of them comes roaring down the street in front of my apartment and then hit him in the face repeatedly with a baseball bat. Fortunately I'm not a violent person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fishing line about neck high was my idea from years back.

diebitter
09-02-2005, 11:54 AM
It's to compensate for their tiny winkies, obviously.

Mr_J
09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
You guys are morons...

Bluffoon
09-02-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do some Harley and other motorcycle drivers feel the need to rev their engines at full blast while going down city/residential streets at 2 am (or any time for that matter)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its for safety. (edit: the modifications many bikers make to make their bikes louder) So you notice them. And don't run them over. At least not unintentionally.

sleight
09-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Good to see Bluffoon came out with the real answer, but I thought you already covered your thoughts in the this article. (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33276)

Los Feliz Slim
09-02-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its for safety

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that. At least it's a reason, I guess.

But, if you need to make your vehicle so loud that I'm not able to think in order to make it safe, it's possible that your vehicle isn't safe to drive and you should consider something safer. Plus, in LA it appears that people drive motorcycles primarily so they can weave in and out of traffic and travel between lanes - driving like that and saying your bike is loud for safety is absurd.

Bluffoon
09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its for safety

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that. At least it's a reason, I guess.

But, if you need to make your vehicle so loud that I'm not able to think in order to make it safe, it's possible that your vehicle isn't safe to drive and you should consider something safer. Plus, in LA it appears that people drive motorcycles primarily so they can weave in and out of traffic and travel between lanes - driving like that and saying your bike is loud for safety is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely with you but that's why they do it.

miajag81
09-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm glad they're concerned enough about safety to accelerate from 0-60 in about 2 seconds on a residential street at 2 am.

rusty JEDI
09-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Ride a bike for a week and come back and tell me how many times you were nearly killed/forced somewhere you werent going because some idiot in a car didnt see you. You will soon realize you will do what ever is needed to be noticed. Everytime there is an accident the car driver says i just didnt see them, and they're not lying. Its not because we're that tough to see its just that they're not paying attention because in a car world driving on autopilot is normal. The number 1 killer of riders is when we're going straight through an intersection and the car coming the opposite direction makes a left turn right into us/infront of us.

Also, in California lane splitting/sharing is legal. Most other places it is not. California has it wrong, and it should be illegal for everyones safety. However, that would not stop many.

rJ

miajag81
09-02-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The number 1 killer of riders is riding on an unsafe vehicle that offers no protection whatsoever to its occupant(s) in case of collision

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

mmmmmbrother
09-02-2005, 03:50 PM
bikes pretty much serve any car save F1s.
i dont like harleys but can see why peopole would.
sportbikes are safer than a car if you know how to ride and dont fall asleep or some [censored].