PDA

View Full Version : A common decision on which I have been mulling

flair1239
09-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Hero: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the CO

Villian: 24/5/1.4; basic sort of player. Kind of straightforward. Plays his strong hands aggressively. Can get kind of tricky... but only when he has the goods. Knows a few plays. Can laydown a marginal hand, but likes calling down... nothing truly awful though.

Absolute 5/10

PF: Folded to villian in MP3 who limps, Hero raises.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villian checks, hero bets

Turn: (3.5BB) 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Villian checks, hero bets

I was going to leave off the action, but really this play seems automatic.

What I am wondering here though is this. The villian is capable of a checkraise. When he does checkraise, I would say 95% (for this particular player) it will be with a better hand. When he does I will only be getting about 6.5-1 to call. Meaning all of my 5 "outs" would have to be good, and I would somehow need to collect 2 bets on the river.

The other problem as I see it is that with this type of player, based on the pre-flop action, he is probably calling down with most hands better than mine. In which case I am essentially paying him off at this point.

But even with the pot this small, he only needs to laydown a little under 25% of the time for the turn bet to be profitable by itself. Also Many times I am ahead, but he is drawing to 6 outs (although often he is only drawing to (3) as I have him reverse dominated quite a few times).

As I said The decision to bet seems straightforward kind of a combination: semi-bluff, value bet, cheap showdown play.

However, with a player like this who is difficult to read because of his passiveness in the face of a PFR, I think the decision could be a little bit closer than it appears. But I am not sure... hence this post... so a boring hand that for some reason interests me.

SO does anyone want to play devils advocate and make a case for a check?

Bonus question: On this board what would be a player type you would consider checking against.

hemstock
09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm still playing .5/1 but unless something changes dramatically shouldnt you fold preflop? Or is it 6-max?

flair1239
09-02-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still playing .5/1 but unless something changes dramatically shouldnt you fold preflop? Or is it 6-max?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably should include game texture. The players behind are tight.

I have a decent chance to play HU with a hand with decent showdown value, or pick up the pot on the flop. Against a player who will limp a wide range of hands in this situation.

colgin
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SO does anyone want to play devils advocate and make a case for a check?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not really.

[ QUOTE ]
Bonus question: On this board what would be a player type you would consider checking against.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good tight player who doesn't make loose flop calls but who likes to slowplay a bit and migth wait to check-rais ehis top pair or beter on the turn. Against that player it is haard to see what hands he failed to open-raise with pre-flop that he is now correctly check-calling with on the flop that you are ahead of (89 would be one). If you think he might be slowplaying JT or 76 then maybe you can benefit from the free card.