PDA

View Full Version : Should these 10's have been shoved or raised?

pdxjayhawk
09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t2745)
CO (t528)
Hero (t985)
SB (t604)
BB (t1261)
UTG (t825)
MP1 (t1052)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Hero has been on auto fold for quite awhile. The previous hand I hand done a blind steal from the CO with Ax.

Big stack limped in for 100. I popped to to 350. Folding around to the big stack who shoved.

I couldn't hit the all-in button fast enough.

But here's the question. With those stack sizes, was the 3 1/2 times raise the right play, or should those 10's have been shoved right away?

Nicholasp27
09-02-2005, 11:07 AM
the general rule is if u have 10bbs or less, push or fold

fnord_too
09-02-2005, 11:08 AM
I push there. I push most of the time I have 12 or less BB since I will be pot committed anyway (there are times when this is not true, a lot more so in STT's than MTT's, but in general..)

09-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Gotta push. Also, if you had a better stack, that raise would've been too small anyway. The general rule is that the raise should be 3x the BB + 1 BB for each limper (so the bet's 4x the BB + 1 for the limper). Here, a reasonable raise would've been to 450-500.

Another nice rule to remember is that if anything you're considering doing costs more than 30% of your stack, push or fold. Here, a reasonable raise would be to 450 or so, which is almost half your stack, so this is a clear push (unless you have a read that suggests fold).

jedi
09-02-2005, 12:38 PM
What everyone else said: PUSH. In addition to the your stack size vs. blinds, you're getting some folding equity here. You'd rather take the blinds + 1 limp and stay in the tournament than race off in a coin flip situation (but if you have a read that the player will push with 22-99, but not call your push then it's a slightly better move) Remember, if you push you have 2 ways of winning the hand. He folds or you win a showdown. If you raise here and he pushes, you can only win by winning the showdown.