PDA

View Full Version : AK gets action

ReptileHouse
09-02-2005, 11:05 AM
B&M 3/6. Much more aggressive table than most B&M. Few pots see a flop unraised. Average is 3-5 to the flop.

Hero is CO.

MP1 is relatively new to the table. He hasn't done anything out of line and has folded a reasonable number of hands so far.

Button has been at the table for two orbits and this is the 3rd hand he has played. Neither of the first two went to showdown. My impression of him is TAGish.

Hero is dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

folded to MP1, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, Button raises, blinds fold, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

MP1 bets, MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, MP1 raises, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

The flop line surprised me a bit after the "call along to the cap" routine from MP1. My pre-flop hand range for MP1 was approximately: 22-TT, Axs, A4-AJ, any two suited broadway, KQo.

The flop action narrows that possible range significantly assuming he's a not totally unreasonable player. 99, 66, A9, A6 stand out as strong possibilities, which worries me. I've seen nothing to indicate he'd get this frisky with AJ or AT, though I have to put in the possibility now that he has a slow-played AK, possibly with the K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, or AA. I don't know if he'd get this aggro with QQ or KK.

The fold by Button strongly implies he had TT-KK.

With that much flop action and now being HU, I figure I'm WA/WB with my TPTK (likely behind), so with the pot large, I plan on going into call-down mode, especially since, given the hand range for villain, I'm unable to determine how many of my outs are clean.

Turn is 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP1 bets, <font color="red">Hero calls</font>

River is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls

Comments welcome on all streets.

hemstock
09-02-2005, 11:08 AM
I think you played it fine.

Fantam
09-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I havent played in a B&amp;M, but I imagine that it must be fun. Did you get any tells on your opponent? LOL. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

From the play of the hand, I think your estimate of MP1's range of hands on the flop was reasonable. In which case, I would have called MP1's flop 3-bet instead of capping.

Calling down then seems to be reasonable as the pot has become quite big and there is a chance that you might still have the best hand.

When MP1 checks the river, I imagine that he was worried about your possibly having the flush. So I would have felt inclined to check behind, instead of possibly value betting MP1's hand for him.

By the way the flop line also surprised me a bit, when I saw MP2 call after he folded preflop. LOL, I expect that was a typo. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ReptileHouse
09-02-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I havent played in a B&amp;M, but I imagine that it must be fun. Did you get any tells on your opponent? LOL. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love B&amp;M play. It's slow, but it's a very social thing, especially at low limits like this. I had tells on a couple of folks at the table, but not anything consistent on either of these two. MP1 was visibly upset by the river diamond, though, which definitely influenced my bet.

[ QUOTE ]
When MP1 checks the river, I imagine that he was worried about your possibly having the flush. So I would have felt inclined to check behind, instead of possibly value betting MP1's hand for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He definitely didn't like that card at all, so I wanted to give him a chance to lay down a better hand. With the pot that size, he doesn't have to fold very often for it to be a profitable bet for me even when I'm otherwise behind. Such was my thinking, anyway. I was definitely planning to fold to a river raise.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way the flop line also surprised me a bit, when I saw MP2 call after he folded preflop. LOL, I expect that was a typo. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right. Fixed. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit: ok, well, I fixed one of them. sigh. /grumble about "max edit time expired"

Roadstar
09-02-2005, 11:42 AM
No need to cap preflop with AKo, however AKs I would. Based on villain's limp preflop, hes more likely to have 66, 99, A9s or A6s. Given that you don't think hes a maniac I doubt he has an ace you dominate (i.e. AQ AJ etc).

While its more likely he got scared of the flush possibility on the river, I'm not sure I would bet the river, since there is a slim chance he overplayed a flush draw and I diamond got there, trying to C/R you if hes tricky. Take the free showdown.

Sykes
09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No need to cap preflop with AKo

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop. This is wrong unless your facing an extreme rock.