PDA

View Full Version : How do I get into DOS?

Yeti
09-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Proper DOS, not the prompt; I want to format my HD. I'm using XP Home and there doesn't seem to be a 'reboot in DOS' option.

Thanks.

samjjones
09-02-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Proper DOS, not the prompt; I want to format my HD. I'm using XP Home and there doesn't seem to be a 'reboot in DOS' option.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why can't you do it from the prompt? DOS is just command line statements anyways.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 10:46 AM
that because XP doesnt have proper DOS. Why do you need DOS to reformat anyway?

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really want to re-format, go to the website of your hard-drive manufacturer and download their diag/reformat program (typically manufacture specific sw).

You can usually download a bootable CD image to burn.

This definately the case for WD and Seagate.

Yeti
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a crappy old PC, I just wanna erase everything on the HD before I throw it out. I was under the impression that this couldn't be done in Windows.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a crappy old PC, I just wanna erase everything on the HD before I throw it out. I was under the impression that this couldn't be done in Windows.

[/ QUOTE ]

just boot your computer with the CD or disk that your HD came with, if you dont have that, just do what thinman said and go DL it. or get a program like partition magic

Freakin
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're reinstalling windows, do so by booting up with the XP CD. You'll be able to delete/recreate your partition and reformat, all within the setup. You do not need to access DOS to reformat.

If you insist on doing it in DOS, you'll need to use a boot disk. You can google "DOS boot disk" and find some excellent precreated boot disk images. My personal favorite (w0rm boot disks) seems to be offline right now. Not sure if it is permanently dead.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Freakin

touchfaith
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to erase everything is to write zero's to the drive. Look for a wiping utility on tucows or download it from the hard drive manufacture.

MercTec
09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
It can't really be done in DOS either. Erased items....even "reformatted" hard drives still contain data that could be rebuilt if someone had the means and was determined enough. What you want is a program that erases to the DoD 5220.22-M standard......if you're really that concerned about it.

Check out programs such as WipeDrive or DiscScrub

Yeti
09-02-2005, 10:55 AM
There isn't really any confidential info on this sucker.

ChipWrecked
09-02-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to erase everything is to write zero's to the drive. Look for a wiping utility on tucows or download it from the hard drive manufacture.

[/ QUOTE ]

My company has contracts with the U.S. military.

We have one guy whose only job is to take apart hard drives, and smash/scratch the platters. That is the only truly secure way to dispose of a hard drive. (It is what the military requires us to do)

icepick
[ QUOTE ]
It's a crappy old PC, I just wanna erase everything on the HD before I throw it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a hammer.

scdavis0
Boot disk.

MercTec
09-02-2005, 10:59 AM
This is not a bad idea. I took apart a hard drive i didnt need anymore once. ANd then proceeded to crack and scratch the platters as a precaution. Kinda cool...hard drive platters are shiny /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Ok, ok...are you worried about the KGB finding your drive, or do you want to simply be prudent and wipe the damn thing in case some punk (like many of you) gets their hands on it?

Just format the damn thing.

Yeti
09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
It's likely going to the dumpster anyway. I'll just smash the HD up with a hammer.

Thanks for the help though.

09-02-2005, 12:09 PM
big magnet

stabn
09-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Just do it from the XP CD.

As to your actual request. Rofl.

Yeti
09-02-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As to your actual request. Rofl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

FouTight
09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Proper DOS, not the prompt

[/ QUOTE ]

Set your time machine to 1987, you should be pretty much money.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Where the hell are your pics of hot chicks?

TheWorstPlayer
09-02-2005, 12:53 PM
www.bcwipe.com (http://www.bcwipe.com)

since i know you don't want anyone going through your top-secret stuff.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 01:27 PM
if its an old computer and you dont plan on reusing the hard drive just destroy it.