PDA

View Full Version : Moving up in buy-ins (L/C)

45suited
09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
I've was running a little cold the past few days on the 11s. Only down like 15 buy-ins, but the usual stuff when going cold - losing races, running into monsters, losing with dominating hands, etc.

But then I started checking my HHs. I noticed that I had also been making stupid plays. Reckless, impatient, and overaggressive, which is totally not my style. This was on the 11s.

Then I checked the few 22s and 33s that I've played recently. My play was much better. It got me thinking - as much as I have enjoyed making the "easy" money on the 11s, I think I've reached the point where either a) I think that I can win no matter what I do (which of course, is wrong) or b) the buy-in is so low relative to my B/R (or my lifetime earnings) that I don't care enough to put forth my best effort. I got very angry at myself for this.

But I also realized that I can no longer stay at the 11s and 22s. I must move up full time to the 22s and 33s for the sake of my game (and B/R). So anyway, I've played a few 33s (mixed in with 22s) and I've realized that the play is really not that great and that my concentration is much higher. I actually have my adrenaline pumping during games again. I know it's short term, but I've already more than made up for my small downswing at the end of my "career" on the 11s.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else ever reached the point where they could no longer play their best game simply because the buy-in didn't mean enough to them. I have hesitated to move up in the past because I'm conservative with my B/R, but I now realize that I don't have a choice.

Sorry for rambling, but going through my HHs for the past few days on the 11s was an eye opening experience... Also, thank you to all the great posters on this forum who have helped me improve to the point where I feel comfortable moving up in buy-ins. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nottom
09-02-2005, 10:33 AM
I only get that feeling when I play lower than normal. I'f I had to play the 20s for some reason, I would be making tons of donk plays I'm sure.

1C5
09-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Yeah, same thing happened to me at the 11, I no longer play them now. I am in the same boat as you, mostly 22s with some (more and more hopefully) 33s thrown into the mix.

But the problem I may have now at the 33s is I am playing too tight and too scared possibly.

bennies
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Same thing with me at the 11's, I couldn't take it seriously (I know this sounds very spoiled /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Now it's the opposite for me, I try to play my normal 22-game at the 55's and get comfortable, this is a challenge also.

downtown
09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
The only caveat to the buyin affecting your behavior is that downswings will be 2x or 3x as large in actual dollars, and possibly in # of buyins too if your ROI is lower. Since you seem to be adaquately bankrolled, this shouldn't be an issue, but it's something else to consider because it can affect your play. Gl in the 22s/33s, please stay off my tables! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-02-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't think you were rambling at all. You're obviously ready to move up so do so.

This is a classic example of what I think applies to almost everyone - you must play at the right level to play your best game. Usually that means that losses have to hurt a bit but not too much and wins have to feel good but not too good. The adrenaline should flow but again, not too much. Play too high or too low and you will not play your best.

Good luck.

multifast1
09-02-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.... - you must play at the right level to play your best game. Usually that means that losses have to hurt a bit but not too much and wins have to feel good but not too good. The adrenaline should flow but again, not too much. Play too high or too low and you will not play your best.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that is about the best way to know if you're at the right buy-in! Well put.

stupidsucker
09-02-2005, 01:10 PM
I wish you good luck at the higher limits.

Your post is dead on with why a lot of good players make mistakes at lower buy ins at times... Some people have to be challenged at what they do, or they dont put out.

Seth Money
09-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Great post!

The past year and a half or so I have been playing the 30's, 50's, 100's and 200's. I started with nothing online and really didn't know proper SnG Bankroll management till I came here but when I was playing the 100's and 200's it was such a rush for me because I was playing for decent money and the thrill of winning was great. But I found solice in the fact that my swings were more then I could handle, but when I went down in limits to the 10, 20, or 30's it was boring to me because it was just cards. I think a few key things happened in between this time and the past 6 months. I realized that I was a winning player but I wasn't properly bankrolled and I wasn't happy. So I made a decision that I would re-dedicate myself to my game and sacrifice time for experience and proper money. OK I am blabbing but that being said I made the following decisions.

1000 10+1
1000 20+2
1000 30+3
1000 50+5
1000 100+9

I would make sure that I put in the time to something I loved to do and I would start from the bottom up, the swings are less, I feel more happy, yes at times the games suck but I know I will never go broke because i am planning better then ever, planning for my success, and adjusting if failure comes.

That being said i have 865 more till i can move up to the 30's.

I wish you the best with your play, I hope you find happiness in whatever level you play

Seth

sng-sam
09-02-2005, 01:49 PM
At the advice of many at this forum I have moved up to 4 tabling the 33s. I, like you, find myself more focused. I am also having to adapt to slightly different calling standards and a few more people putting moves on me.

the wierder thing is this. although adequately bankrolled at 50 buyins. I am very protective of my bankroll I built it from a baby and now it's a toddler. when it gets hurt I think of how long it took me to build that and i get pissed. Anyone else have this?

SAM

ps. not sure if this qualifies as a true thread hijacking or not. If so my apologies.

09-02-2005, 01:58 PM
One more thought. You don't have to move up all 4 tables at once. Curtains made an excellent post a while back about his formula for moving up or back down 1 table at a time depending on how many buyins he was up or down. It really was a good post, highly recommended reading IMO. Of course if you're comfortable going 33 all 4 at once fine but if you should suffer a setback I would search for this post.

EnderFFX
09-02-2005, 02:08 PM
I have a different theory on all of this 45s.

I agree with what you are saying but I believe there is another angle. The 20/30 players think they are playing right when they are tightening up near the bubble. The 10 players often don't do this and still push/call there hands like KT, A5 etc. The 10 players are actually making less error by loosening up near the bubble where the 20/30 player (the bad players) are tightening up too much. I have personally found the 20's to be much easier then the 10's and the 30's to be somewhat easier then the 10's but harder then the 20's.

psyduck
09-02-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
adrenaline pumping

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to have this when I first started playing the $55s. I would think about each and every decision, use a calculator to calculate precise pot odds, my M, etc, and would take notes on the players like crazy.

Then, it became boring. I started 8-tabling. Now it's just a grind. I played one 100+9 just for kicks a couple weeks ago and my adrenaline was pumping again and I was playing my A+ game (more than pushbotting). Fun process /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nath
09-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm in the same boat-- I get bored at the 11s (and the 5.5s when I was that low, before August reinvigorated my bankroll). I've been playing the 22s, with the occasional 33. I don't multi them too heavily, though-- usually not more than two, occasionally 3-4 but I find that often breaks my concentration. I'm not ready for it.

In theory I could just multi the 11s twice as often and lower my variance, but this keeps me focused and at my A game, and so far the results have borne that out.

(I also use my SnG profits to fund the occasional MTT, and those have been kind in the last month as well.)

It could be that I'm focused because I'm putting myself through school this semester; poker earnings are doing a large part of footing that bill. So it means I have to play stakes where the winnings actually help; the only way I can play those stakes without overwhelming myself or potentially wrecking my bankroll is to play $22s, one or two tables at a time. If I get in 3-4 a day I'm happy, but I may just be running really good right now.