PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans: What an embarassment

beaster
09-02-2005, 08:34 AM
<rant>

So during my morning ritual of combing the news sites, I come upon cnn.com and the headline "Battle for New Orleans". Christ. There's snipers taking pot shots at people leaving hospitals, shots being fired on helicopters, cars being blown up. Add to that the looting taking place.

New Orleans looks like a freaking nuclear bomb was dropped on it, and these savages are trying to wreak more havoc.

No wonder the global opinion about Americans continues to be negative. New Orleans gets leveled and the US media focuses on all the gunplay and anarchy. I'm embarassed to be American right now. Hopefully the government will make good on their promises and shoot some of these SOBs.

</rant>

tomdemaine
09-02-2005, 08:36 AM
It's especially embarassing when you compare it to how the Indonesian people reacted to their disaster.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 08:41 AM
The way this has been handled, or not, really is pretty pathetic.

diebitter
09-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Yup. Needs someone with some balls, brains and compassion.

Sponger15SB
09-02-2005, 08:46 AM
I think I know who is behind all this....

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/795/28oq.jpg

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The way this has been handled, or not, really is pretty pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Bush is strumming why NOLA drowns on Tuesday

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050830/thumb.capm10208301856.bush__capm102.jpg

and Rice can see Sir SpamALot on Wed instead of taking calls from the UN and foreign governments willing to help
Rice Sees Monty Python (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/342712p-292600c.html )

KaneKungFu123
09-02-2005, 08:57 AM
jsut another example of the white man keeping the black down.

canis582
09-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Last year when a hurricane hit florida, there were 30,000 troops on the ground the very next day.

But it was an election year.

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 09:19 AM
When you train people to believe that they are entitled to succor during the normal times from all levels of government (the entitlement society), and to have no responsibility for their own actions.... this is the result you get.

And the NO Mayor has been just terrible. His actions have caused countless deaths and much misery.

Aceshigh7
09-02-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last year when a hurricane hit florida, there were 30,000 troops on the ground the very next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe the governor of Florida was more on the ball than the governor of Louisiana was in this situation? There are very strict guidelines hampering the use of regular troops on U.S soil. The national guard units are firstly under the jurisdiction of the state governor.

It's looking right now like this Gov. Blanco dropped the ball in the early hours.

ChipWrecked
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
http://www.washblade.com/2004/3-5/news/national/Giuliani.jpg

I give you our next President.

No [censored] way this kind of thing happens on his watch.

canis582
09-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Who is the governor of florida anyway?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe the governor of Florida was more on the ball than the governor of Louisiana was in this situation? There are very strict guidelines hampering the use of regular troops on U.S soil. The national guard units are firstly under the jurisdiction of the state governor.

It's looking right now like this Gov. Blanco dropped the ball in the early hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to admit that Guiliani did what needed to be done.

Meanwhile, this guy should resign:

http://www.citymayors.com/mayors-pics/orleans_ray_nagin.jpg
C Ray Nagin, Mayor of New Orleans

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is the governor of florida anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, but maybe we should make him our next President. Nothing speaks better than results.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but maybe we should make him our next President. Nothing speaks better than results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone that doesn't live in Florida. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BeerMoney
09-02-2005, 09:41 AM
You should be more concerned about your governments inability to help save these people than 25 or 30 people acting like idiots.

30% of our income goes to the government. Where are they when we need them?

canis582
09-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Only the federal government has the power to send in national guard troops from other states. I think we can all agree that this disaster is bigger than the city of NO and the state of LA. Its what we pay our federal taxes for.

"the man of character" was strummin a gee-tar and comparing himself to roosevelt while his college drinking buddy, the crony he appointed to the head of FEMA, was on the TV getting some face time instead of doing their jobs.

This is deriliction of duty folks.

-Skeme-
09-02-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would Martial Law being declared change any of this?

ChipWrecked
09-02-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

30% of our income goes to the government. Where are they when we need them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in California, so that's easy.

They're puffing a stogie out in the smoking tent.

djoyce003
09-02-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no ground you moron...you are aware it's a giant lake right? Or do you just live in a hole?

They are no doubt doing their best but things are primarily limited to helicopters and a few boats. They probably oughta commandeer a ton of bay fishing boats from neighboring areas in order to get in there.

09-02-2005, 10:14 AM
I have very mixed feelings on New Orleans, and people will hate me for it. I'm currently working with a group(volunteer) that will be flying food/water/meds to LA later this evening, and I feel horrible seeing all the babies and childred suffering on the news(added to show i'm not a complete azz).

If you build your city under the water level of the river, ocean, and lake surounding you, you might be a retarded. These people couldn't get hurrican insurance because of the cost, this is the insurance CO. way of telling you MOVE! The army core as well as others have been yelling at New Orleans since ~1910 telling people that your city will be gone when it hits! They are constaintly dreging(SP) the surrounding canals to allow boats more room to roam while ecologists tell them the more dirt you take out the lower and less protected you city will be! They have setup pumps in the city to move water out and killed off the vegitation/marshes that have helped the city withstand other storms. This city went out of their way to stand in the quick sand then yell for help.

I really feel for the children, they have no control over how their parents act, but they will pay for those actions.

09-02-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna be sick. One of the worst mayors ever.

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no ground you moron...you are aware it's a giant lake right? Or do you just live in a hole?

They are no doubt doing their best but things are primarily limited to helicopters and a few boats. They probably oughta commandeer a ton of bay fishing boats from neighboring areas in order to get in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really don't want to try and defend or justify the federal response to this we have seen in the past 3-4 days.

It is rediculous and you know it. It's a [censored] joke. It's embarressing and disgraceful.

I can bearly sleep...and I'm an [censored].

Phill S
09-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I read about all the looting, the shooting at helicopters, the police assisting the looters and the inability of the government to put on public transport to evacuate the city.

I just don't understand America. Home of the free and the richest, most powerful nation on the planet.

You want to know the kicker? I was more shook up hearing about the stampede that killed 1000+ people in Iraq.

I don't mean to kick you guys when you're down, but id be ashamed of my countries actions right now if i was an American.

Phill
(Im British, for the record)

canis582
09-02-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, you cant even spell your insults right, its moran, idoit.

beaster
09-02-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I read about all the looting, the shooting at helicopters, the police assisting the looters and the inability of the government to put on public transport to evacuate the city.

I just don't understand America. Home of the free and the richest, most powerful nation on the planet.

You want to know the kicker? I was more shook up hearing about the stampede that killed 1000+ people in Iraq.

I don't mean to kick you guys when you're down, but id be ashamed of my countries actions right now if i was an American.

Phill
(Im British, for the record)

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, exactly my point. Americans are behaving like savages and trying to hamper our country's limited attempts at help. To add insult to injury, the collective response of our elected officials is "help is coming". Bah.

What's sad is that the police has to choose one or the other -- deal with anarchists or rescue people. Let the military deal with the hoodlums.

Of course, the military needs to be there.

jokerthief
09-02-2005, 10:49 AM
God I hate Europeons.

Phill S
09-02-2005, 10:50 AM
The military is in Iraq.

Phill

jokerthief
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
1/10 of our military is in Iraq.

ChipWrecked
09-02-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The military is in Iraq.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

"We put five in his head! And, oops, he wasn't running away, or any of that stuff we said, after all...." /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The military is in Iraq.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

"We put five in his head! And, oops, he wasn't running away, or any of that stuff we said, after all...." /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame the Brits for the shoting of the unfortunate Brazilian, just as I won't blame mistakes made in NO when they are shooting suspected looters.

Note: Humans are not omniscient, they make mistakes, as long as they are acting in good faith, we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The military is in Iraq.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame the Brits for the shoting of the unfortunate Brazilian, just as I won't blame mistakes made in NO when they are shooting suspected looters.

Note: Humans are not omniscient, they make mistakes, as long as they are acting in good faith, we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can shoot looters and Brazilians in the head as long as you are in a position of authority but if you steal a pair of soggy Nikes you're an animal....

KaneKungFu123
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The military is in Iraq.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

i take no offense when they start killing people looting 7/11.

HopeydaFish
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The military is in Iraq.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, after all, the Brazilian guy was brown. Obviously he was a terrorist.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone else think he looks like howie mandel?

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Half-Brother?

Phill S
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The military is in Iraq.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, after all, the Brazilian guy was brown. Obviously he was a terrorist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt shed a tear and ill take it up with anyone who wants to discuss it rationally.

The guy was a suspected suicide bomber, he was killed - and rightly so just on the off chance he WAS a suicide bomber.

Its the misinformation after the event that was the discrace, though the officers involved didnt come up whiter than white in their actions.

Should it have happened, in a perfect world, No. But this isnt a perfect world.

And for the record, thats an error that cost 1 innocent person their life. Whats the current count from New Orleans?

Phill

jokerthief
He needs rubber gloves, then yes definitely.

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] So you can shoot looters and Brazilians in the head as long as you are in a position of authority but if you steal a pair of soggy Nikes you're an animal....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some of you missed the term good faith in my post.

mmbt0ne
09-02-2005, 11:08 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.canadians.ca/celebs/howie_mandel-slide.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
09-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I think the local government dropped the ball here severly. Yeah, the Feds should send in more troops, but without proper response from the local government, they now direly need the fed assistance.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the local government dropped the ball here severly. Yeah, the Feds should send in more troops, but without proper response from the local government, they now direly need the fed assistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The local government got overwhelmed in the "Worst Natural Disaster in the History of the US'. Any local government would have had the same problem.

Before the hurricane even hit Bush declared a National Emergency and FEMA was supposed to be in charge with resources in place.

NOLA had a tough task evacuating 1.3 Million people in less than 48 hours. Any city or state would have been burdened beyond it's capabilites. Miss. couldn't handle it either.

Katrina is the exact reason why we have a 60B+ FEMA budget.

mostsmooth
09-02-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
if they were actually acting in good faith, they dont need the benefit of doubt.

daveymck
09-02-2005, 11:24 AM
I dont know US political structure but I dont see what the Mayor can do his city is underwater he has few resources or communication structures to take command of half the police have left their posts (understandably) and it seems that the government is leaving him high and dry.

The pictures coming out make it look like a third world country the fact that people are dying of thirst in the worlds biggest superpower what 4 days on from the event shocks me completely.

I think over here we dont understand the scale of it the area affected being the size of britain but based on that we also dont understand that so far 300 hundred national guard have been thrown at it wtf, if it happened here our troops, air force and navy would be out there straight away and I would hope that Blair would be a bit more proactice than Bush appears to be.

We do get some flooding over here and the RAF get involved straight away I dont understand why there are not a load of airforce helicopters deployed there now, surely it doesnt take 4 days to scramble them would they react so slow if there was an attack on the US you would hope not.

Stuck
09-02-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you build your city under the water level of the river, ocean, and lake surounding you, you might be a retarded. These people couldn't get hurrican insurance because of the cost, this is the insurance CO. way of telling you MOVE! The army core as well as others have been yelling at New Orleans since ~1910 telling people that your city will be gone when it hits! They are constaintly dreging(SP) the surrounding canals to allow boats more room to roam while ecologists tell them the more dirt you take out the lower and less protected you city will be! They have setup pumps in the city to move water out and killed off the vegitation/marshes that have helped the city withstand other storms. This city went out of their way to stand in the quick sand then yell for help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the Dutch are [censored]ed then?

09-02-2005, 11:27 AM
I just heard something funny from the FEMA director "we didn't think the need would arise for troops to act as peace keepers, we expected them to be available to help rescue and evacuate people". It was on the news so I might be a tad off on the wording. The local goverment had everyone searched before entering the dome on Sunday because they felt that riots or gang fights could break out. I guess they didn't tell FEMA that in the past New Orleans have become a very hostile place in times of disaster?

samjjones
09-02-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know US political structure but I dont see what the Mayor can do his city is underwater he has few resources or communication structures to take command of half the police have left their posts (understandably) and it seems that the government is leaving him high and dry.

The pictures coming out make it look like a third world country the fact that people are dying of thirst in the worlds biggest superpower what 4 days on from the event shocks me completely.

I think over here we dont understand the scale of it the area affected being the size of britain but based on that we also dont understand that so far 300 hundred national guard have been thrown at it wtf, if it happened here our troops, air force and navy would be out there straight away and I would hope that Blair would be a bit more proactice than Bush appears to be.

We do get some flooding over here and the RAF get involved straight away I dont understand why there are not a load of airforce helicopters deployed there now, surely it doesnt take 4 days to scramble them would they react so slow if there was an attack on the US you would hope not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Imagine the Thames overflowed, and London was under 10 feet of water. Does this put it into a little more perspective?

newfant
09-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Luckily, President Chimpy is in Mobile, AL right now having a "made-for-TV" conference with some of the folks leading the rescue operations. Chimpy looks confused (as per usual), but thank God and Jesus that the other conferees are telling Chimpy what a great job he has been doing in responding to this disaster.

mmbt0ne
09-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Luckily, President Chimpy is in Mobile, AL right now having a "made-for-TV" conference with some of the folks leading the rescue operations. Chimpy looks confused (as per usual), but thank God and Jesus that the other conferees are telling Chimpy what a great job he has been doing in responding to this disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread was borderline in the first place, but this post has no place here in OOT. Go to politics.

Stuck
09-02-2005, 11:36 AM
The U.S. is a big country and some parts of the U.S. don't really give that much of a crap about what happens in other parts of the U.S.

How rapidly would the British Navy have been mobilized if Estonia had been flooded?

newfant
09-02-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread was borderline in the first place, but this post has no place here in OOT. Go to politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please move my post to the Politics forum. Thank you.

09-02-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more about the mayor of NO. What is the guy supposed to do? Members of his police force are resigning en masse. The fed gov't is doing a horrible job of providing relief to the victims. The citizens are in a desperate situation living without food and water, yet the feds do next to nothing to alleviate the situation.

Marlow
09-02-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get off yer high horse. Half the thread is political. But I guess it's Ok to attack anyone aside from Chimpy.

Marlow

Frills
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
When the Mayor and Governor stated on tv that the main focus was to rescue as many folks as possible and that they weren't going after the looters, that opened the floodgates.

NO is by far the poorest "big city" and now you see what they have been trying to hide for ages.

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I just think its kind of dumb that on 9/11 most of america holds hands and sings "we are the people" but when something like this happens, which could very well be looked at as a worse disaster as a whole, everybody could care less about each other. Granted 9/11 was a different kind of feeling, but as far as disaster goes, i feel this is much more catestrophic.

Marlow
09-02-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just think its kind of dumb that on 9/11 most of america holds hands and sings "we are the people" but when something like this happens, which could very well be looked at as a worse disaster as a whole, everybody could care less about each other. Granted 9/11 was a different kind of feeling, but as far as disaster goes, i feel this is much more catestrophic.

[/ QUOTE ]

This (http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2005/09/lets_talk_about.html) is particularly disturbing.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between 9/11 and this, is that joe blow in california was scared for his life during 9/11 because terrorists can potentially attack anywhere, joe blow in cali doesnt give a [censored] about some natural disaster in NO because he isnt at risk. People only care about things that affect them. The same can be said for the actual poeple involved. People in NY during 9/11 felt "under attack", so that fear remained. Your looter in NO knows the storm is over and as such isnt worried his life is in danger anymore.

Jurollo
09-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Hurricanes and Forest fires damaging property is a relatively new phenomenon simply because of government subsidies have allowed people to move to the coast (new within the last 35 years) and likewise in CA with forest fires. While you cannot just leave New Orleans dismantled moving the horde of people back there isn't a great idea either. For anyone interested in this sort of phenomenon (living in particularly hazardous areas) read 'Ecology of Fear'
~Justin

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:19 PM
And i guess it could be pointed out that the looters in NO are not really in the same "class" as most of the people affected by 9/11. I find it hard to belive that guys working on wall street would be rushing out to loot a new tv at a time like that.

Jurollo
09-02-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get enough poverty stricken people together, take away their homes, food, water and the few belongings they have and people get desperate, it generally isn't something you can blame on the residents, they are fighting for their lives here.
~Justin

Alobar
09-02-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get enough poverty stricken people together, take away there homes, food, water and the few belongings they have and people get desperate, it generally isn't something you can blame on the residents, they are fighting for their lives here.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

oh please, they arent fighting for their lives here, they are looting clohtes and TVs and other dumb [censored]. While I completely agree that there are psychological procceses at work here, lets not take it so far as to say that normal common good sense and some morals cant overcome these impulses.

Johnny Richter
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get enough poverty stricken people together, take away their homes, food, water and the few belongings they have and people get desperate, it generally isn't something you can blame on the residents, they are fighting for their lives here.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really directing that at the residents, more so at people outside of the area hit. But, a previous poster hit the nail on the head when he said that we simply dont give a [censored] cause we weren't affected and our life isn't in immediate danger

Sponger15SB
[ QUOTE ]

Howie Mandel

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

http://www.canadians.ca/celebs/howie_mandel-slide.jpg

Voltron87
09-02-2005, 12:26 PM
what bothers me about this...

1. the sheer destruction of NO. the images are mind boggling. the families getting torn apart, seperated and helpless, it really is a tragedy.

2. the failure of the government, on all levels, to provide enough troops to keep things under control and to get food to the people faster. all these people at the superdome should not be without so much, everyone knows how many people were there without supplies. it makes no sense to me, FEMA has to have known to prepare for this. so now we can get 30000 troops in? thats more than a little late. unbelieveable.

3. why are there so many people still in NO? it was pretty clear, leave the city. i know there are a ton of poor people there, but there should not be that many people there. maybe the governement should have organized a way to get these people out.

Sponger15SB
09-02-2005, 12:27 PM
DAMMIT!

I guess I should have read the rest of the posts before trying to make the incredibly obvious howie mandel comparison.

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

oh please, they arent fighting for their lives here, they are looting clohtes and TVs and other dumb [censored]. While I completely agree that there are psychological procceses at work here, lets not take it so far as to say that normal common good sense and some morals cant overcome these impulses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

Alobar
[ QUOTE ]
DAMMI!

I guess I should have read the rest of the posts before trying to make the incredibly obvious howie mandel comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, good one sponger

cadillac1234
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get enough poverty stricken people together, take away there homes, food, water and the few belongings they have and people get desperate, it generally isn't something you can blame on the residents, they are fighting for their lives here.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do us a favor. Live outside in 90 degree heat, covered in mud and crap with no water, food or clothes for 5 days and then tell us how these people are just whiners.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do us a favor. Live outside in 90 degree heat, covered in mud and crap with no water, food or clothes for 5 days and then tell us how these people are just whiners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say anyone was a whiner? I said people who are stealing clothes and TVs and dumb [censored], shouldnt be able to use the cop out of being poor and losing what little belongings they have to justify stealing.

So if I go live outside in the heat for 5 days can I go to my local walmart and start taking DVD players? sweet...

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto from California...

Stuck
09-02-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it bizarre that the only thing people seem to give a crap about are the looters. 1000 people from the hospitals still waiting to be evacuated, and all people care about is that some bastard got his hands on a free DVD player. One 'looter' on the news last night was walking out with a big box of diapers - how dare she!

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:36 PM
You have no electricity whatsoever, what the hell do you need the tv dvd combo for? Diapers maybe, the sony 400$ dvd player? not so much.....

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:39 PM
And what about the resident that lost his house and now his small local electronic store that he's owned and operated for 20+ years is having everything taken from it? Why should he get double punished?

David
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
He ran off to Baton Rouge like a scared dog and did nothing (obviously) to help anyone get out of Nawlins. He told them all to leave as he was leaving. Does the city of Nawlins own any buses? Does the city of Nawlins own any trucks? Any cars? Were any of them used to help anyone evacuate? Nope. Blame it on the "feds" while the MAN in charge did absolutely NOTHING.

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
no one is denying that "the man" is one [censored] up bastard with his priorities screwed up.

Stuck
09-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm not saying you do need a DVD. Sure the looter is a scumbag - I'm sure scumbags profit out of every natural disaster. But IMHO the outrage should be focused on why after five days people don't have food, clean water and shelter, instead of the fact that a some looters have made out on DVD players.

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Of course scumbags profit from disaster. Especially the ones that set up the fake "send your money here to help" funds then run off with the cash.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying you do need a DVD. Sure the looter is a scumbag - I'm sure scumbags profit out of every natural disaster. But IMHO the outrage should be focused on why after five days people don't have food, clean water and shelter, instead of the fact that a some looters have made out on DVD players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny Richter
09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
The news is only going to report on what makes the better story, so their going to make the focus on the looters.

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
The only thing I can think of more disturbing then the federal response in New Orleans, is what it says overall about our 'readiness' to handle a major catistrophic event.

Just image if some idiot really did get ahold of a breifcase nuke or dirty bomb, like they have been trying to scare us about so much in the past years. Imagine they blew up a major city. Does what we have seen in NO mean that it would take 5 days to see trucks rolling in with supplies?

Sick and disgusting.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I can think of more disturbing then the federal response in New Orleans, is what it says overall about our 'readiness' to handle a major catistrophic event.

Just image if some idiot really did get ahold of a breifcase nuke or dirty bomb, like they have been trying to scare us about so much in the past years. Imagine they blew up a major city. Does what we have seen in NO mean that it would take 5 days to see trucks rolling in with supplies?

Sick and disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

And with the new Homeland Security Dept we were supposed to be more prepared for this type of event. $250B in funding over the last 4 years down the drain

KaneKungFu123
09-02-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This (http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2005/09/lets_talk_about.html) is particularly disturbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it'll be interesting to see if the prisoners released choose to rape women or men.

Los Feliz Slim
09-02-2005, 01:16 PM
The news conference with a bunch of clean, well-rested and fed people who are SUPPOSED TO BE IN CHARGE thanking one another and congratulating each other on the job they're doing is one of the most infuriating things I've ever seen.

mosta
09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you train people to believe that they are entitled to succor during the normal times from all levels of government (the entitlement society), and to have no responsibility for their own actions.... this is the result you get.

And the NO Mayor has been just terrible. His actions have caused countless deaths and much misery.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're an idiot (that is not news, btw). nagin is one of the few who is speaking the truth. I was there on the ground until tuesday. I walked all over the city without fear or risk. the us military had days to get troops in there, and the us military could get tens of thousands of troops anywhere in the world in that amount of time if they had the order to go--particularly with days in advance to prepare. they could have occupied antarctica in that amount of time. remember they were supposed to be prepared for things to be worse much faster than they were (the storm shifted east). but instead we get the usual staged press conferences. you got your "men of character" who make sure to maintain the message--in stead of anyone with brains or competence. good job. they and their people have their place in hell waiting.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're an idiot (that is not news, btw). nagin is one of the few who is speaking the truth. I was there on the ground until tuesday. I walked all over the city without fear or risk. the us military had days to get troops in there, and the us military could get tens of thousands of troops anywhere in the world in that amount of time if they had the order to go--particularly with days in advance to prepare. they could have occupied antarctica in that amount of time. remember they were supposed to be prepared for things to be worse much faster than they were (the storm shifted east). but instead we get the usual staged press conferences. you got your "men of character" who make sure to maintain the message--in stead of anyone with brains or competence. good job. they and their people have their place in hell waiting.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Harry F'ing Connick Jr can find his way back to the city and walk around the godam National Guard should be able to get in.

mosta
09-02-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

police actively arrested looters until they were outnumbered. the streets were safe on mon and tues. I was there. any "assistance" in taking from stores was for necessities of life. if you think the police were stealing jewelry and blue jeans with the criminals you are in need of a profound disabusing.

mosta
09-02-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between 9/11 and this, is that joe blow in california was scared for his life during 9/11 because terrorists can potentially attack anywhere, joe blow in cali doesnt give a [censored] about some natural disaster in NO because he isnt at risk. People only care about things that affect them. The same can be said for the actual poeple involved. People in NY during 9/11 felt "under attack", so that fear remained. Your looter in NO knows the storm is over and as such isnt worried his life is in danger anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is tangentially in response to your post:

the diff btwn this and sep 11 is that with the NO situation we've had a new federal agency created expressly to address such a situation, who are supposed to have plans and competence to respond disasters, and they had days advanced notice, and days afterwards before things turned really really bad. I hope all of you now feel very confident in your president and administration to handle a massive terrorist strike.

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the stupidest thing I have heard from you all day...and that's saying A LOT.

I personally sat in a cafeteria of about 2000 men &amp; women on the morning of 9/11...In California.

80% of them were crying uncontrollably and it wasn't because they were 'scared for their lives'.

You have a lot of growing up to do.

Voltron87
09-02-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the stupidest thing I have heard from you all day...and that's saying A LOT.

I personally sat in a cafeteria of about 2000 men &amp; women on the morning of 9/11...In California.

80% of them were crying uncontrollably and it wasn't because they were 'scared for their lives'.

[/ QUOTE ]

alobar is correct

mosta
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I have as mixed reactions to the situation as everyone else and unlike most I hvae a personal stake there. my apt is 2 blocks from the convention center. I don't begrudge people taking any of the little food or water to be found in there or sleeping in there--they're welcome to it. but I suspect I'm going to have any valuables stolen and the rest just pointlessly destroyed. I personally would love to catch that kind of looter, shoot him in the face, and hang him on the building door. another kind of looter/ criminal are the ones shooting at relief works. when you hear about that you might want to leave the entire city to die. but I think I can find some sympathy for those people--they see an insufficient rescue effort that they know won't reach them. they're hopeless and pissed off. ever feel like punching a hole in your computer screen? that's about as senseless in the same way. if there were a three-man patrol of uniformed miliatry every couple blocks, calm could be sustained. don't even send them out with machine guns. just pistols. that would be enough to represent order, not lawlessness. that would represent hope for them that a solution was being implemented. and military supply lines could probably provision many if not most of the population.

this is a logistical problem not a moral or ideological one--at least not for any competent and honorable politician. there are some criminals and some losers in there, and a whole lot of victims. but it's not nearly as sticky a situation, in either regard, as your typical third world disaster that happens a few times a year. this is no time to judge. it is a time to get the appropriate bodies in and the appropriate bodies out. the US military is up to the task--I should hope and I confidently believe. I hitchiked over the bridge to the westbank on tuesday (_days_ after everyone had notice of imminent disaster), getting a ride to baton rouge. there wasn't even traffic--this_was_not_a_tough_mission.

what I don't get is how much of a lay-up this should have been for bush and how totally he whiffed it--making an early, significant move to prevent social disorder would have immensely eased the situation and would hvae been perfectly in keeping with his ideology and his base. I mean it makes my head spin that he didn't do that. it should be instinctual, reflexive for him. it's like he made a special effort to be a useless idiot.

kurosh
09-02-2005, 02:04 PM
So unbelievably disgusting... As soon as they realize that the police are overloaded with doing other things, murder and rape break out. I don't know how these people are of the same race as me.

Phoenix1010
09-02-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nagin interview transcript (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/nagin.transcript/index.html)

Audio file available on CNN.com. Definitely worth checking out. I cannot say whether he's doing a good job, but it seems clear that he doesn't think he's getting enough resources to get the job done. Also, his urban accent is cool.

xadrez
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Well Said, and Bush IS a useless idiot

Stuck
09-02-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's like he made a special effort to be a useless idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is out of order - its pretty effortless to him by now.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So unbelievably disgusting... As soon as they realize that the police are overloaded with doing other things, murder and rape break out. I don't know how these people are of the same race as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

People of other races should act that way? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Phoenix1010
09-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Both the interviewer and the mayor break out crying at the end of the interview. The mayor is irate for a large part of it. Wow.

09-02-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both the interviewer and the mayor break out crying at the end of the interview. The mayor is irate for a large part of it. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who can blame the guy. The federal response to this crisis has been sub par to say the least. You have a bunch of pompous assholes in the media and on this forum shrieking about the looters. THERE ARE CORPSES IN DOWNTOWN NEW ORLEANS. People are without food and water. Maybe there would be no looters if they had their basic needs met. New Orleans is devastated, and people are worrying about stolen TV sets /images/graemlins/confused.gif

sfer
09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in California too and on 9/12/01 most of downtown San Francisco spontaneously evacuated their office buildings and for months afterward military jets were routinely scrambled and sent to check out suspicious activity around the Golden Gate Bridge.

EDIT: Fixed my retarded date.

correia
09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
http://paiz.typepad.com/my_favorite_headache/bush_headscratch.jpg

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in California too and on 9/10/05 most of downtown San Francisco spontaneously evacuated their office buildings and for months afterward military jets were routinely scrambled and sent to check out suspicious activity around the Golden Gate Bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds about right. I would imagine that anyone in a high rise felt pretty damn uncomfortable until all the flights had been landed and grounded.

Crazy days.

Jerkass333
09-02-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means the human race in general.

kurosh
09-02-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means the human race in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct.

mmbt0ne
09-02-2005, 02:49 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get off yer high horse. Half the thread is political. But I guess it's Ok to attack anyone aside from Chimpy.

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, blow me.

I would say the same thing to BGC, but other people covered him earlier and I've had him on block for a while now.

JayLear
09-02-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do us a favor. Live outside in 90 degree heat, covered in mud and crap with no water, food or clothes for 5 days and then tell us how you could exist without a plasma TV and a trunkful of Heineken.

[/ QUOTE ]

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Please do us a favor. Live outside in 90 degree heat, covered in mud and crap with no water, food or clothes for 5 days and then tell us how you could exist without a plasma TV and a trunkful of Heineken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice perspective there buddy...When it's your kid or mom dying on a street corner I hope others are just as sympathetic.

JayLear
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it bizarre that the only thing people seem to give a crap about are the looters. 1000 people from the hospitals still waiting to be evacuated, and all people care about is that some bastard got his hands on a free DVD player. One 'looter' on the news last night was walking out with a big box of diapers - how dare she!

[/ QUOTE ]
The looters are affecting the response to this. If it's hampering rescues and costing lives, obviously it's right that it gets some attention. Also, there's a marked difference between people looting water, food and basic needs (such as diapers), and running off with a cart of of TV's and beer. The comments of the authorities leads me to believe they're aware of that difference.

gulebjorn
09-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I imagine the debate among the federal government went something like this:

- "There is a hurricane coming, and it's going to wipe out one of our major cities."

- "Can we shoot it?"

- "No."

- "What city?"

- "New Orleans"

- "Could someone point that out on a map for me?"

- "There it is."

- "Did that light up red or blue on last election?"

- "What...? C'mon guys, focus, the storm is coming."

- "How about if we nuke it?"

- "What? New Orleans?"

- "Can't we just blame and invade a third-world country for this?"

- "Maybe we could find some science geek that can prove it originated in Iran. I will look into it."

- "Look guys, we can't stop this thing. We need to think about all the homeless people there will be after this week."

- "Can we shoot them?"

- "No."

- "Can't we say those are foreign fighters?"

- "We already used that one this year."

- "How about if we just go on holiday?"

- "Now there's an idea. Happy swimming ya'll."

JayLear
09-02-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice perspective there buddy...When it's your kid or mom dying on a street corner I hope others are just as sympathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]
If God forbid my kid or mom were dying on a street corner, I'm almost positive that making sure I'm stocked up on free beer would be the the least of my concerns. I'm pretty sure by comparison, my perspective is just fine.

masse75
09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
&lt;rant&gt;

New Orleans looks like a freaking nuclear bomb was dropped on it, and these savages are trying to wreak more havoc.

&lt;/rant&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, New Orleans looks flooded to me. Biloxi/Gulfport looks like the bomb fell there. When the waters recede, NO will still be intact.

Semantics, I know, but with all the focus on NO, let's not forget that the Mississippi coast was devastated.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If God forbid my kid or mom were dying on a street corner, I'm almost positive that making sure I'm stocked up on free beer would be the the least of my concerns. I'm pretty sure by comparison, my perspective is just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your perspective is off. There are dead bodies rotting in the streets with even more dying and you're worried some a-hole stole a water-logged TV and a 6 pack.

SpearsBritney
09-02-2005, 03:08 PM
It's simple. The longer they take, the more desperate people will become. The more desperate people become, the easier it will be for the army to recruit them. Recruiters are licking their chops right now. [/conspiracy]

Blarg
09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And the governor was a white Republican.

JayLear
09-02-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your perspective is off. There are dead bodies rotting in the streets with even more dying and you're worried some a-hole stole a water-logged TV and a 6 pack.

[/ QUOTE ]
The images I've seen coming from that area are terrible. Pardon me for being a infuriated by seeing these animals climbing over the "bodies rotting in the streets" you refer to and taking advantage of the situation. Your minimalizing what they're looting to a TV and a 6-pack won't change my mind. While it certainly isn't occupying my entire focus, I do find it reprehensible disgusting.

krazyace5
09-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Bush is a joke, FEMA is a joke, the whole government is a joke, These people drag their feet while people die, they didn't want to give up their vacations til days after the tragedy started.

I watched the news for over 2 days where hundreds of people were on a bridge without food or water. There was easy access to this particular spot yet no one came to help. The reporter on fox continued to try to get help but all he got was the run around.

"help is there", a lie, "help is on the way" a lie, "nows not the time to pass blame", yet the head of FEMA is quick to pass blame to the people that did not evacuate.

I really really hate the race card, 95%+ it is a bunch of bullshit, but this is the only time I have ever thought it applied, if this was a bunch of white people, would they still be dieing while waiting for help 3 and 4 days later?

Flame away, but I am embarassed/ashamed for our country, for our government, and 2008 can't come soon enough.

09-02-2005, 03:21 PM
[/ QUOTE ]
The images I've seen coming from that area are terrible. Pardon me for being a infuriated by seeing these animals climbing over the "bodies rotting in the streets" you refer to and taking advantage of the situation. Your minimalizing what they're looting to a TV and a 6-pack won't change my mind. While it certainly isn't occupying my entire focus, I do find it reprehensible disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is disgusting is the government's inaction during this crisis.

JayLear
09-02-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is disgusting is the government's inaction during this crisis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

Blarg
09-02-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the rich got out, that's the main thing. The poor dying is just gravy.

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush is a joke, FEMA is a joke, the whole government is a joke, These people drag their feet while people die, they didn't want to give up their vacations til days after the tragedy started.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just like the debate over Iraq. People who hate Bush for political reasons will find fault regardless how well he does his job. It has nothing to do with the reality of his governance.

From the quote above, one would assume that the entire government shuts down whenever Bush goes on vacation (even though his vacations are working vacations anyway).

Too many people are not really arguing the real issues involved here, they are just throwing out political justifications to attack the President on the issue de jure.

Blarg
09-02-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The U.S. is a big country and some parts of the U.S. don't really give that much of a crap about what happens in other parts of the U.S.

How rapidly would the British Navy have been mobilized if Estonia had been flooded?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is unfortunately more indicative of the country's mentality than most of us would like to admit or believe.

09-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't wanna start a new thread, but I was wondering, when will it be socially acceptable to repeat NO jokes? 3 months or so?

wonderwes
09-02-2005, 03:51 PM
http://sigmund.biz/kat20050901%20part%202/Picture062.jpg

09-02-2005, 04:01 PM
You seem to have posted an image that won't load, if this is intentional I don't get it

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't wanna start a new thread, but I was wondering, when will it be socially acceptable to repeat NO jokes? 3 months or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering what the over/under is on when the first "I was there" book about NO hits the bestseller list?

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You seem to have posted an image that won't load, if this is intentional I don't get it

[/ QUOTE ]

loads fine for me but it's huge. resize it, jackass.

wacki
09-02-2005, 04:05 PM
what is the story behind those guys?

krazyace5
09-02-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just like the debate over Iraq. People who hate Bush for political reasons will find fault regardless how well he does his job. It has nothing to do with the reality of his governance.

From the quote above, one would assume that the entire government shuts down whenever Bush goes on vacation (even though his vacations are working vacations anyway).

Too many people are not really arguing the real issues involved here, they are just throwing out political justifications to attack the President on the issue de jure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not apply to me since I was a Bush supporter up until this debacle. Nice try though.

Stuck
09-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Its Fedex's new service: 'When you absolutely, positively need to assasinate someone.'

Sponger15SB
09-02-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This does not apply to me since I was a Bush supporter up until this debacle. Nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so THIS is what caused you to not like Bush.

I wonder, is there anyone else in the government besides our president? Why does he take all the blame?

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder, is there anyone else in the government besides our president? Why does he take all the blame?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I'm, not a Bush supporter, but this is ridiculous. The govorner of La and Mayor of NO are responsible for any govt shortcoming associated with this and should bear the brunt of this crap.

Alobar
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in California too and on 9/10/05 most of downtown San Francisco spontaneously evacuated their office buildings and for months afterward military jets were routinely scrambled and sent to check out suspicious activity around the Golden Gate Bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds about right. I would imagine that anyone in a high rise felt pretty damn uncomfortable until all the flights had been landed and grounded.

Crazy days.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, you tell me im stupid and then you follow up with a post that pretty much goes exactly with what I was saying. I'm really starting to understand why most people around here think you are such an idiot

swede123
[ QUOTE ]
what is the story behind those guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOPD, who apparently commandeered a FedEx van. Pretty standard stuff, given the circumstances.

Swede

ddubois
09-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Please do not put 2000-pixel wide picutres in threads. You can link to it.

ChoicestHops
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
This whole situation is pretty damn sad. It's not the mayor or governor's fault, but obviously the federal government. Those people should have gotten food and water the morning after Katrina. We have at least 2/3 of the guard I believe. Bush and crew should already have had food and water getting ready to be shipped as the hurricane was hitting.

This is making Bush look terrible. It's what, day 5 and people still dont have enough food and water and are just sitting there dying.

Phoenix1010
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I'm, not a Bush supporter, but this is ridiculous. The govorner of La and Mayor of NO are responsible for any govt shortcoming associated with this and should bear the brunt of this crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that it's ludicrous to point the majority or even a minority of the blame at the president, I also think it's unfair to put the brunt of it on the local government. This disaster is clearly more than the local authorities can handle on their own. It is a federal problem that requires resources beyond what is readily available. I think it's clear that this tragedy has pointed out the weakness in both the local and national catastrophic response protocols.

MrMoo
09-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Read the post here (http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/?skip=20) at 4:23pm. The streets may have been safe when you were there on Tuesday but it appears to me that the New Orleans police department has at least a few bad apples.

Very sad.

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not the mayor or governor's fault

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be pointed out that all of the below sea level areas are within a few miles of above sea level areas. Literally every person who is not confined to bed could have been evacuated from the below-sea-level likely-to-flood area. Literally, they could have walked out to safety. The local officials had days before the storm to do this.

Once the storm has hit and the area is flooded, logistics becomes very complicated. The key failure was by local officials before the storm hit.

krazyace5
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so THIS is what caused you to not like Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes everyone from the LA Governer, FEMA, the president, etc.

I was watching this for 2-3 days before he cut his vacation short, I don't care if it is a "working" vacation or not, cancel all your previous agenda and get word out to the public that your on the ball. Your the leader act like it.
Get [censored] mobilzed, get [censored] done.

There is still people there with no food and water right now. How hard is it to helicopter in some supplies at the least? This whole thing is bs.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we have FEMA then? I really want to hear a good answer on why a Federal Declared Disaster is the mayor of NO fault?

What else was he supposed to do? 1/3 of his police force went MIA, 80% of his city is underwater, he was promised 2 divisions of National Guard that never arrived....

This is the worst disaster in US history. To blame the mayor for it is naive at best

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This whole situation is pretty damn sad. It's not the mayor or governor's fault, but obviously the federal government. Those people should have gotten food and water the morning after Katrina. We have at least 2/3 of the guard I believe. Bush and crew should already have had food and water getting ready to be shipped as the hurricane was hitting.

This is making Bush look terrible. It's what, day 5 and people still dont have enough food and water and are just sitting there dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a moron.

LethalRose
09-02-2005, 04:40 PM
resize that pic it ruins the thread size

Phoenix1010
09-02-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
resize that pic it ruins the thread size

[/ QUOTE ]

Right click the image and click "Block image blah blah."

Blarg
09-02-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sick and disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way longer than that. A major earthquake in L.A. could easily ruin the multiple overpasses on all our freeways, and they would take months to clean up and perhaps years to rebuild. It's got the biggest port in the nation and one of the busiest airports, nearby nuclear power plants, and far more population. N.O. could look like nothing compared to a disaster in L.A.

People couldn't even get to hospitals, and there would be too many to treat if they did. Cops, of which there are very few already, would disappear, just like they did in the L.A. riots. There are hundreds of thousands of gang members in L.A. and millions of poor. It would be utter chaos.

The truth is, there is no way to really be prepared for disaster. Things like power, clean water, sewage, and transportation are too complex and delicate to survive much stress. A tree falling on a power line in Oregon a few years ago plunged California into darkness. This is the level of our technology, and of our protection from being without it.

Our society is built on the basis of sustainability only in "good times." It's uncomfortable to think so, but it's really quite precarious.

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does what we have seen in NO mean that it would take 5 days to see trucks rolling in with supplies?

[/ QUOTE ]

The big levee break occurred on August 30th. Today is September 2nd. IT has only been THREE DAYS since the major flooding began.

If there hadn't been major flooding, these people would not have required all this help - they were prepared to wait out the storm, but not prepared for a flood.

It has only been 3 days. Lets be a little bit objective here.

Supersetoy
09-02-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts. When the "big one" (earthquake) hits here (in Seattle) I don't expect any help from anyone else. I've got my insurance, I've got my papers locked up, and I've got enough wits about me to (hopefully) survive.

[censored] happens to everyone. How well prepared they are for it is completely up to them. (And yes, even those well below the poverty line). If life was "so tough" for them before, they should have MOVED/got an education/lived in the mountains of Colorado.

"Woe is me" Americans make me sick. That wasn't what this country was built on.

MoreWineII
09-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Oh, what a relief. ONLY three days.

I'm not going to get into a Bush bash, but the reaction of our federal gov't to this disaster has been absolutely pathetic.

If this surprises you though, you haven't been paying attention.

cadillac1234
09-02-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does what we have seen in NO mean that it would take 5 days to see trucks rolling in with supplies?

[/ QUOTE ]

The big levee break occurred on August 30th. Today is September 2nd. IT has only been THREE DAYS since the major flooding began.

If there hadn't been major flooding, these people would not have required all this help - they were prepared to wait out the storm, but not prepared for a flood.

It has only been 3 days. Lets be a little bit objective here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually 4 days... Early Am Aug 30, Aug 31st, Sept 1, AM Sept 2

ChipWrecked
09-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Looks to me like Americans are looking pretty bad compared to how Indonesia et al handled the tsunami.

I know there was looting, but I don't believe it turned all Road Warrior/Lord of the Flies as NO has.

billyjex
09-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Indonesia doesn't have black people.

Mat Sklansky
09-03-2005, 12:26 AM
These posts are really pissing me off. You want to make prejudicial statements about whole groups of human beings? Back it up [censored].

newfant
09-03-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Woe is me" Americans make me sick. That wasn't what this country was built on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. America was built on the backs of slaves on land taken from the Indians. Our country has certainly changed a lot since the good 'ol days.

thatpfunk
09-03-2005, 12:37 AM
please let me know whether or not this is supposed to just be a bad joke. i want to know whether or not to ignore you.

09-03-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These posts are really pissing me off. You want to make prejudicial statements about whole groups of human beings? Back it up [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

what word do you suppose mat used here? my guess is the N-word

billyjex
09-03-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
please let me know whether or not this is supposed to just be a bad joke. i want to know whether or not to ignore you.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Stellastarr
09-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Even the cops are looting. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

http://jameth.whatthefuck.com/aug2005/cop_looter.jpg

09-03-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even the cops are looting.

[/ QUOTE ]

if they were white they'd be confiscating

09-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Anyone seen any good "OWNED!!1!11eleven" pics of New Orleans yet?

Stellastarr
09-03-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone seen any good "OWNED!!1!11eleven" pics of New Orleans yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this one pretty amusing. Not quite OWNNEEDD!!!11 but still funny. The guy that made this is going to hell.

http://www.agnph.com/imageboard/files/1125534728864.gif

touchfaith
09-04-2005, 11:19 AM
God, how stupid do these people think we are??

I'm watching Meet The Press this morning and Tim is interviewing the head of FEMA.

This guy is really sticking to his guns that this was an unpredictable event? Are you [censored] kidding me?

Anyone with half a brain can see that this event was predictable. Does he really think we are that stupid? What did he think was going to happen if these levees broke?

Give me a break.

Not being prepared for this disaster is negligence in it's most simplistic form.

Period.

touchfaith
09-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Breaking News: Rescue Chopper Down (http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/yahooPlayer.pl) /images/graemlins/frown.gif