PDA

View Full Version : Buying position with minraise preflop

FlyingStart
09-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I play I sometimes make is that I raise from MP3 or CO, but just for 2*BB, with a marginal hand (I don't do it with alot of limpers, 1 max). This most often causes the Button or Button+CO to fold and the blinds to just call. After the flop the blinds usually checks and I pick up the pot with a 2/3 pot bet.

I haven't been through pokertracker with this move, so I'm not sure if I'm making money doing this.

Any thoughts?

jkkkk
09-02-2005, 08:13 AM
You will achieve the same with a real raise, min-raises are stupid and will get called by either CO or Button if they have half a hand.

FlyingStart
09-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Isn't that assuming the button knows to appreciate his position? I often get both the CO and button to fold (I'm playing 50$ buyins).

An advantage compared to the steal-raise is that you steal more when it works, and you also get the opportunity to make a hand.

Feel free to point out where I'm wrong, which I may very well be..

Could it atleast help your table image in some way?

jkkkk
09-02-2005, 08:44 AM
The only way this can help your table image is if some 2+2'er is at the table and auto-assumes you're a donk because you are min raising pre-flop or if you min-raise enough to skew someones PT stats to make them think your crazy.

However, I do not see a range of hands that you are getting CO or Button to fold by min-raising where they would of otherwise called.

TheWorstPlayer
09-02-2005, 08:50 AM
In the games I play in, if you min-raise from the CO, the BN will call 99% of the time to try to bust you with position.

subzero
09-02-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You will achieve the same with a real raise, min-raises are stupid and will get called by either CO or Button if they have half a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Make it 4BB preflop.