PDA

View Full Version : Was I too passive on the river?

Girchuck
04-18-2003, 03:04 PM
A little tougher than usual PP $1-2 game
I hold QQ on the button

The loose player in EP opens with a raise pre-flop,
Everyone folds to me, I re-raise, the BB (didn't see him make any mistakes yet) calls two. Three to the flop

Flop: 8 6 6

The BB checks, EP bets, I raise, BB calls two and EP calls

The turn is a Q giving me nut house

The EP checks, I bet, BB raises, EP folds, I re-raise and
the BB caps.

river comes a rag

The BB bets and I just call

He could either have 88, 66, or some crazy bluff

Should I raise here?

Thanks for your advice

Rockfish
04-18-2003, 03:33 PM
"didn't see him make any mistakes yet"

Are you sure about the BB? If he doesn't make mistakes, what is he calling with that he can't raise with in the BB?

The only hand that beats you is 66 and you can't be afraid of that just because he's in there.

Hands that he could be in there with that he could get happy with later are 66,88,86,Q6 or 6x where x is the river card. Since he went crazy on the turn it's probably not 6x. Mathematically you are much more likely to be ahead and since there's only one hand that beats you, you can go nuts on the river.

If he would only play this way holding 66 then you played the river correctly.

He must have had 66 since you posted this and are still thinking about it. I win a hand like that I forget about it almost instantly. I lose a hand like that, I stew. See my thread a couple of days ago entitled "Puppy Poker" for an example.

No way to lose any less on a hand like this. If you're pretty sure you're beat you just call the river.

Rockfish

P.S. AQ also crosses my mind given the limits and the fact that it's on-line. What did he have?

Girchuck
04-18-2003, 03:47 PM
He had 88 and I won
I never considered that he could have anything other than 88 or 66

Rockfish
04-18-2003, 03:58 PM
You never considered it because it didn't occur to you, or you had such a good read on him that you were sure there was no other possibility?

Even so it's mathematically more likely for him to have 88 than 66, if only slightly. I'm not good with this stuff but there are 3 ways he can have 88 and only 1 way he can have 66. I'm not sure of the correct calculation you might need to do here to decide whether to raise or not on the river but I never fear quads until you show them to me. I cap the river with, as you so eloquently put it "the nut house".

Rockfish

Girchuck
04-18-2003, 04:13 PM
I just had a feeling that the BB player would not be calling preflop raise and re-raise with Q8s or 86s, although I am not sure about A6.
My perception of him was: plays tougher than I do.
most likely, I cost myself a bet or two by being intimidated.

Rockfish
04-18-2003, 04:28 PM
You were going good until you got to the bit about calling two raises cold from the big blind with A6. If you weren't sure he wouldn't call two cold out of position with a piece of cheese like A6, then that opens up all the other weird hands almost every other on-line 1/2 player might call with. (I play 0.5/1 so I would never do something like that...).

All I'm saying is, and it's a small point, is that he could have had a wide variety of hands and you left money on the table.

I'm not picking on you. I leave a lot of money on the table and have no idea what I'm doing more often than I should admit.

As an aside, there don't seem to be a whole lot of folks giving this board the attention it deserves today. Either most people are off work and are not not doing what they are supposed to be doing while at work, or they are doing what they are supposed to be doing while at work. I'm not.

Rockfish

Your Mom
04-19-2003, 03:24 AM
i'd have to get in at least one raise on the river and i'd probably cap it.