PDA

View Full Version : risk reward ratio about right or no?

jt1
09-02-2005, 02:36 AM
30/60 TOURNEY TEXAS HOLD'EM GAME TABLE (NL) - FRI 01:28:44
Table Table 11791 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: BlackCard (940)
Seat 2: dbldown420 <font color="green">755 </font>
Seat 3: BraduFryu <font color="green">815 </font>
Seat 4: welshgold (880)
Seat 5: Razor_Hick <font color="green">850 </font>
Seat 6: <font color="blue">Hero </font> (695)
Seat 7: vatic_one (855)
Seat 8: psychboy1 (755)
Seat 9: Full_X_Grind (775)
Seat 10: ply71 (680)
Razor_Hick posts small blind (15)
<font color="blue">Hero </font>posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ 9 :diamond, 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
vatic_one folds.
psychboy1 folds.
Full_X_Grind folds.
ply71 folds.
BlackCard folds.
dbldown420 calls (30) <font color="red">between tight and loose Passive </font>
BraduFryu calls (30) <font color="red">TAG </font>
welshgold folds.
Razor_Hick calls (15) <font color="red">Capable LAG --steals a lot of pots without risking too much </font>
Hero raises (665) to 695
Hero is all-In.

microbet
09-02-2005, 02:41 AM
I wouldn't do that. If I had like 450-500 chips I would, or if the blinds were one level higher.

jt1
09-02-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't do that. If I had like 450-500 chips I would, or if the blinds were one level higher

[/ QUOTE ]

That play felt right to me. I stood to win 120 chips at a time when I needed them. I didn't need them to keep my head above water but to stay one step ahead of that position. I was oop so I couln't win this hand without a good flop or better. It did and still feels like the right play. FWIW, the open limper had open limped once or twice b4 and didn't win the pot when he did.

There are 2 arguments against doing this that I can think of: 1) I might hit a set on the flop 2) I may be able to check -raise all-in on the flop. Both situations, however, requires a great flop and cooperative opponents

MegaBet
09-02-2005, 03:14 AM
I don't understand this play at all. Do you play the $11s by any chance?

pergesu
09-02-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That play felt right to me. I stood to win 120 chips at a time when I needed them. I didn't need them to keep my head above water but to stay one step ahead of that position.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't need the chips here. Sure to stay "a step ahead" but this isn't the point you need to do that.

[ QUOTE ]
There are 2 arguments against doing this that I can think of: 1) I might hit a set on the flop 2) I may be able to check -raise all-in on the flop. Both situations, however, requires a great flop and cooperative opponents

[/ QUOTE ]
Another argument is that this looks like a total steal. You'll often get called in spots like this, simply because you're pushing out of the BB. Push from the SB or button, and it's different (but even then I wouldn't do that with blinds this small). Half the time you're left with a ~50 chance to get ITM, half the time you're loading up another SNG. Definitely not a good enough risk/reward ratio.

You're in a pretty sweet position. Playing medium pairs out of the BB is fun because you can sometimes flop an overpair, and take money from people chasing with overcards, or hit a set and take a lot of money. Either way, you can win big because your hand is very deceptive. Of course most of the time it's a bad flop...that's poker.

bennies
09-02-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That play felt right to me. I stood to win 120 chips at a time when I needed them. I didn't need them to keep my head above water but to stay one step ahead of that position.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't need the chips here. Sure to stay "a step ahead" but this isn't the point you need to do that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Another argument is that this looks like a total steal. You'll often get called in spots like this, simply because you're pushing out of the BB. Push from the SB or button, and it's different (but even then I wouldn't do that with blinds this small). Half the time you're left with a ~50 chance to get ITM, half the time you're loading up another SNG. Definitely not a good enough risk/reward ratio.

You're in a pretty sweet position. Playing medium pairs out of the BB is fun because you can sometimes flop an overpair, and take money from people chasing with overcards, or hit a set and take a lot of money. Either way, you can win big because your hand is very deceptive. Of course most of the time it's a bad flop...that's poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very sure the allin is very +EV, even if called (which it will be half the time or less) we're very rarely behind.

Your point is still valid though, taking a flop is definately +EV also, I wouldn't know which is the better play /images/graemlins/confused.gif