PDA

View Full Version : KK Flop Play - How to stack the fish?

PokerFink
09-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Live, 1/1 blinds, 100 buy-in. I have 110, villian has me covered. Villian is slightly LAG preflop, but very aggressive after the flop in the sense that he bets and raises a lot. However, he tends to keep his bets and raises small, so his underbetting in this pot is normal. He is bad and will pay off well.

I have a loose, fun table image, and I'm gambling it up a bit. I'm easily the best player at the table if I'm focusing and playing my A game, but I'm messing around a bit tonight. I have raised the past 2 hands to $4 and checked both of them down with nothing.

Preflop: I raise to $4 with KK UTG+1. A tight player and villian call.

Flop (3 players, $14): 9 7 3r

I check, tighty checks, villian bets $5, I raise to $15, tighty folds, villian re-raises to $30, I re-raise to $60.

I figure villian for either A9 or an overpair when he raises to $30. It's possible he has a set or 97. I want to get all-in, and expect to be ahead more often than not when I do.

Do you like this? After the hand I felt like I made a mistake, and that I should have flat called and led the turn for about $30 and pushed the river, since I'm probably way ahead and letting villian see 2 more cards shoulden't hurt me much. I want to be paid off if he has tptk or an overpair, and if I lose the pot because of it, so be it.

yvesaint
09-02-2005, 12:55 AM
I do it completely different, I usually lead the flop, call the raise, then check-raise the turn all-in.

Mini-raising back and forth is bad, most people will lay down something like A9, and be jumping for joy with AA or a set. You might get TT-QQ to hop in if they're oblivious.

xorbie
09-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Lead this flop, tight player might call with a PP.

PokerFink
09-02-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm usually going to lead this flop as well. I went for the check/raise for two reasons.

1) Villian is probably going to bet the flop if checked to, even if he has nothing.
2) I had just checked down 2 consecutive pots as the raiser. I wanted to disguise my hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Mini-raising back and forth is bad, most people will lay down something like A9, and be jumping for joy with AA or a set. You might get TT-QQ to hop in if they're oblivious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I rarely play a hand this way, it was very opponent-dependent. He is oblivious. He will felt TT-QQ. How do I get him to do it?

PokerFink
09-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Let me throw this out there as well, I should have mentioned it before.

When I check/raised the flop, I did so in a joking manner with a big grin, as if to say "I might have it and I might have nothing." I've played with villian a decent amount, we both know that he is going to bet that flop with nothing and that I might check/raise with nothing.

His raise to $30 is basically asking me whether or not I'm screwing around with my check/raise, which is why I feel I misplayed it by re-raising. I answered his question and defined my hand.

amoeba
09-02-2005, 01:22 AM
are you saying you would call here with nothing?

I think calling or reraising defines your hand.

PokerFink
09-02-2005, 05:03 AM
Yeah, I think you're right. Damnit, I screwed up.

By the way, villian mucked his tens face up and I was kicking myself over it.