PDA

View Full Version : First go at 10-20 in my B&M

Dentist
04-18-2003, 09:38 AM
Well, I finally did it, I gave mid-limit hold 'em a chance.
I've been a 3-6 or 6-12 player for a year and after reading the literature I wanted to give 10-20 a shot.

Facts - 10-20 is only spread on Thursdays at my B&M and it is the "feature game" and there is only one table.
It definitely draws much much better players than 3-6 and even 6-12.

It has a $4 rake up to 10% with no jackpot drop

When I got to the B&M the game had a list and so I played a little 1-5 stud and then some 5-10 Omaha with full kill to pass time.
I was pumped up about $200 from Omaha and frankly probably should never have left that game - 7-8 people were taking the flop about every 2-3 hands!!!! Juicy game... But I was here to play hold 'em.

I bought for $400 and walked into 10-20 with $600 (I would've been comfortable with $400 at 10-20)

Result: I walked away with the $600 I started with, but I should've won - here are my mistakes that could've made me a winner - please comment as you see fit.

Texture of game, pretty tight - an early raise could steal the blinds, several chopped blinds, but the occasional 6-7 man pot...

Mistake #1:
I'm in the BB, 2 limpers both mid-position, SB doesn't call, I have Q9o and check.

Flop comes 7 9 10 with 2 clubs.
I bet, 1 call, other guy folds
Turn 3rd club
I bet (MISTAKE), 1 call
River 10
I bet (trying to make up for previous mistake), guy calls
He shows 3 5 clubs for flush....
I should've checked and folded on the turn IMHO

Mistake #2
I'm in the BB again with 8s3s
2 limpers from mid-position
SB calls, I check.

I get miracle flop J-8-3 rainbow for bottom two pair
SB bets
I raise, limpers fold, SB RE-raises
I was thinking AJ and that's where I messed up.
I re-raised again, he called.
Turn blank
He checks, I bet, he check-raises
I call (MISTAKE!)
I call his river bet, he shows a set of 8's - I was drawing dead and should've saved 2-3 bets (damn the BB!)

MISTAKE #3:
I'm in the SB (i'm having all sorts of troubles in my blinds)
Mid position reasonably solid player (also a blonde bombshell) raises
I have pocket jacks in the small blind and call (probably should've raised, and the BB calls.

Bad flop - K Q 2
I bet, BB folds, Raiser raises
I call and check and call the rest of the way when blanks hit on the turn and river.
she turns over KJ - I'm officially a dumbass.

The rest of the night I played VERY solid and basically won enough to offset my mistakes, thus why I ended even.

I think this other hand was a mistake as well, but I'm not sure:

I have QQ in cutoff seat
mid-position player raises
I re-raise
Player next to me this is just OK but on a huge rush caps it, I call 3 players take flop

Flop A 10 2
mid-position player bets, I only call (should've raised I think)
player behind me raises, mid-position player re-raises to an all in, I fold, guy behind me calls.

turn and river are dealt, the river was a 9
player behind me turns over pocket 9's for a set of 9's.
Early player mucks.

I can only assume the early player had an ace... so surely I wouldn't have won.... but... I asked the player why he called a re-raise and capped it with 9's - he simply answered that he was on a rush and was "feeling it"

Hmmmmmmmm.......
Comments??

Buckshot
04-18-2003, 10:34 AM
These are all prefaced by: IMHO. K?

Mistake #1: Could've been avoided if you just check the turned flush and folded to a bet. You're correct there.

Mistake #2: I would've lost just about as much. After he 3-bet the flop and checked the turn, I might've smelled something fishy and checked behind. But I definitely call the river.

Mistake #3: I would've check-folded with my 4th best pair.

As far as your question to the set of 9's, in hindsight his play with the 9's was pretty close to your play with the Jacks. Don't you think? Look at the similarities.

Hope you enjoy your future sessions!

~stephen

pudley4
04-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Mistake 1 - How aggressive/tricky is this player? If he's relatively straightforward or passive, then you can probably check-fold the turn. However, what if he's tricky and has something like 78, 88, or 89? He'll bet the turn when you check and you'll fold the winner.

Mistake 2 - When you're heads up and he 3-bets, I think it's best to go into calldown mode. You've got position, so you can make sure at least one bet goes in on each street. I think your 4-bet allowed him to checkraise the turn - if you had just called his 3-bet, he probably would have led into you on the turn.

Mistake 3 - 3-bet preflop and then lead out. When you're raised, it's an easy fold.