PDA

View Full Version : AQs/AJs, am I playing too weak?

Augster
09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Doing this from memory as it happened to me twice today in the same tourney.

PStars $5+.50 Speed tourney. 5 minute levels.

It's a few levels in, blinds are 50/100. I have AQs in UTG+1. I have about 5000 chips, as do most of the folks at my table, which was quite odd.

UTG folds. I raise 3x BB to 300. Folds around to the BB who waits a second then throws it all-in. He has me covered.

Later where the blinds are 100/200, I am in MP2 with AJs, everyone has about 6-10K chips. I again raise 3x to 800. Folds around to the BB who goes all-in and has me covered.

It's not the same guy. Different table with all different folks.

Is this a "move" I'm not aware of? I folded in each instance.

In the first one, I have 50BB, do I really want to put my tournament at stake? Who am I beating here? If he has J's, I'm only 50/50. I generally try to avoid playing for all my money, especially early on, on a coin flip.

The first time I figured he'd make that move with a PP 88 or higher, and AK. Am I way off base? Did he only have KK or AA? That's what I put him on the first time.

Then it happens again, just a little later, so now I'm not sure. That'd be a bit too "unlucky" to run into two monsters in the BB while I have a raising hand.

So where do I go from here? Should I only raise hands that I know I'll push with? That is, AA and KK, even QQ. Limp everything else. Fit or fold as I'd have no idea what the blinds are playing in that case?

I almost called, but I figured I'd be WB. I was just caught so off-guard. There's 450 in the pot, and now I have to call a raise of 4700 to play? Just doesn't make sense.

A little insight would be appreciated.