PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed....

nickey009
09-01-2005, 07:47 PM
At 6AM on a sunday morning my friend John's cell phone rings. He rolls out of bed with his girlfriend to go answer it. It's his friend Jessica (female). She is flying back from NY and has called everyone she knows trying to get a ride home from the airport but no one can get her. John is her last hope. "Can you pick me up from the airport today at 5PM." He thinks about it and knows that his girlfriend will be at work at this time and say "No problem, see you at 5." Climbs back into bed and tries to cuddle with his girlfriend only to get the cold shoulder. She is very upset with him because he didn't consult her before commiting to going to the airport.

I've told this story to a number of friends and was shocked at the responses gathered. The majority of my married friends responded with "Oh yeah, John screwed up. He needs to ask first before doing that kind of stuff." My single friends said "His girlfriend is over bearing. Why is she so insecure it's just a friend at the airport."

So my question to you is. When a couple gets married do they lose all ability to do things on there own? Must they now ask permission to breathe?

Alobar
09-01-2005, 07:57 PM
My rule is simple, if the girl Im dating cant handle the fact I have female friends, she isnt a girl I want to date.

No way in hell would I ever ask my girlfriend if its ok if I go pick up one of my friends who needs a lift from the airport, and any girl who pitches a fit over that, better not let the door hit her in the butt on the way out.

Yeti
09-01-2005, 07:59 PM
John obviously is a loser anyway for trying to cuddle.

nickey009
09-01-2005, 08:00 PM
I get the feeling like the majority of these girls that now need to be asked basically tricked the dudes into it. I'm sure every single one of the men was like "I ain't never marrying that woman!" and they all got tricked.

nickey009
09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes, this is true too....Let's say instead of cuddle he tried to SIIHP.

jesusarenque
09-01-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
John obviously is a loser anyway for trying to cuddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marge: But I fell in love with Homer Simpson. I don't wanna snuggle with Max Power.
Homer: Nobody snuggles with Max Power. You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!
Marge: Oh lord.
Homer: And it doesn't stop in the bedroom, oh no. I'm taking charge. Kids, there's three ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way.
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster.

STLantny
09-01-2005, 08:02 PM
I would have kicked her out/walked out of the apartment the second she got pissed.

LethalRose
09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My rule is simple, if the girl Im dating cant handle the fact I have female friends, she isnt a girl I want to date.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a good idea to establish this on the first date. be like "I have ex's who I have good relationships with, if you cant handle that let me know"

I've had to let go of a few girls b/c of it.

lucas9000
09-01-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is she so insecure it's just a friend at the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
09-01-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At 6AM on a sunday morning my friend John's cell phone rings. He rolls out of bed with his girlfriend to go answer it. It's his friend Jessica (female). She is flying back from NY and has called everyone she knows trying to get a ride home from the airport but no one can get her. John is her last hope. "Can you pick me up from the airport today at 5PM." He thinks about it and knows that his girlfriend will be at work at this time and say "No problem, see you at 5." Climbs back into bed and tries to cuddle with his girlfriend only to get the cold shoulder. She is very upset with him because he didn't consult her before commiting to going to the airport.

I've told this story to a number of friends and was shocked at the responses gathered. The majority of my married friends responded with "Oh yeah, John screwed up. He needs to ask first before doing that kind of stuff." My single friends said "His girlfriend is over bearing. Why is she so insecure it's just a friend at the airport."

So my question to you is. When a couple gets married do they lose all ability to do things on there own? Must they now ask permission to breathe?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are married, you need to 'check' first. I won't call it asking, because when you are married, the trust is implied. It's not a 'male friend' vs. 'female friend' issue at that point, it's about availability.

You need to check first, because you never know if you already are busy at any given time. Your spouse may have already made a prior commitment for you without your knowledge and has yet to tell you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
09-01-2005, 08:29 PM
My wife is pretty uptight about things, but this would not be a problem at all.

Hamish McBagpipe
09-01-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's his friend Jessica (female).

[/ QUOTE ]

This was funny until I saw your name. Sorry, bud.

nickey009
09-02-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

When you are married, you need to 'check' first. I won't call it asking, because when you are married, the trust is implied. It's not a 'male friend' vs. 'female friend' issue at that point, it's about availability.

You need to check first, because you never know if you already are busy at any given time. Your spouse may have already made a prior commitment for you without your knowledge and has yet to tell you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I can see the point of this...however in this situation his GF was going to be at work. Does your wife commit you to things when she's not at them?

InchoateHand
09-02-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it wasn't the restraining orders?

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I can see the point of this...however in this situation his GF was going to be at work. Does your wife commit you to things when she's not at them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dumb, but I don't have a death wish and am not dumb enough to second guess a spouses timing or reasoning for commiting me to something. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Alobar
09-02-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pussywhipped

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pussywhipped

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, it's called 'give and take'

RunDownHouse
09-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Its great to know that I don't need to make any changes in my ignore list.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pussywhipped

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please leave me alone, im in denial

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pussywhipped

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please leave me alone, im single

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nickey009
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
This is essentially my point...

I'm guessing Alobar here is a single/non-married guy. Or if he's married he's recently married. The married guy "checks" first. I've even had one married guy say he would just say "no" to the friend at the airport because even if he asks he's screwed. It puts his wife in a bad position (no pun intended) where she has to say yes. To avoid the headache with the wife he would just tell the friend "No, he can't".

RunDownHouse
09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It puts his wife in a bad position (no pun intended) where she has to say yes. To avoid the headache with the wife he would just tell the friend "No, he can't".

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the crux of the situation. Why is she in a bad position? Why is it a headache for her?

People don't become unreasonable, insecure, and controlling when they get married. They're like that single, too, and if you choose to marry such a person then you choose to deal with it.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing Alobar here is a single/non-married guy. Or if he's married he's recently married. The married guy "checks" first. I've even had one married guy say he would just say "no" to the friend at the airport because even if he asks he's screwed. It puts his wife in a bad position (no pun intended) where she has to say yes. To avoid the headache with the wife he would just tell the friend "No, he can't".

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldnt matter if I was married or not, my mentality would still be the same. I made a concious decision a long time ago that I didnt want to be one of those guys who asks their wife permission to do everything. (ever notice how those are the guys who always are the ones begging for sex too?). I get the whole give and take thing, and I completely understand it and accept it. However something as lame as not picking up a friend from the airport cuz your ball and chain of a wife will pitch a fit, is so effing retarded it isnt even funny. I know guys who have to ask their wife to do [censored] like go on a mountain bike ride.....in the middle of the week.....while the wife is at work. I'm sorry, that just isnt going to be me.

And yes, I've broken up with girls before because they couldnt handle the fact that I have female friends, or that I will keep a sense of idependance. But you know what, ive also dated a ton of girls who were totally ok with that, and guess which relationships I was much happier in?

I'm just not the codependant type, and I dont look for that quality in others either.

mackthefork
09-02-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldnt matter if I was married or not, my mentality would still be the same. I made a concious decision a long time ago that I didnt want to be one of those guys who asks their wife permission to do everything. (ever notice how those are the guys who always are the ones begging for sex too?). I get the whole give and take thing, and I completely understand it and accept it. However something as lame as not picking up a friend from the airport cuz your ball and chain of a wife will pitch a fit, is so effing retarded it isnt even funny. I know guys who have to ask their wife to do [censored] like go on a mountain bike ride.....in the middle of the week.....while the wife is at work. I'm sorry, that just isnt going to be me.

And yes, I've broken up with girls before because they couldnt handle the fact that I have female friends, or that I will keep a sense of idependance. But you know what, ive also dated a ton of girls who were totally ok with that, and guess which relationships I was much happier in?

I'm just not the codependant type, and I dont look for that quality in others either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 100% agree with you, perfectly reasonable but by no means the norm these days.

Mack

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you will be single for a lonnnnng time. You still think this is about permission???

I'll give you a clue...It's about mutual respect.

Phill S
09-02-2005, 11:11 AM
I see two major things here

The girl has problems of insecurity.

Some of your friends are wipped severly. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Phill

InchoateHand
09-02-2005, 11:13 AM
I "ask" my fiancee because I just like to be upfront, and for whatever reason the vast majority of my close friends are girls. My fiancee didn't know most of them (I've moved a lot) before we were together, so she used to be a bit jealous. She got over it, and actually befriended some of them. I'll always pick someone up from the airport, and she'll always be fine with it.

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I "ask" my fiancee because I just like to be upfront, and for whatever reason the vast majority of my close friends are girls. My fiancee didn't know most of them (I've moved a lot) before we were together, so she used to be a bit jealous. She got over it, and actually befriended some of them. I'll always pick someone up from the airport, and she'll always be fine with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

golf-clap!! Someone gets it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alobar
09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you will be single for a lonnnnng time. You still think this is about permission???

[/ QUOTE ]

dont kid yourself, its about permission.

If it was about mutual respect, you wouldnt be asking to do things that anyone who wasnt insecure and needy would realize was a no brainer.

And if I'm single for a looong time because I'm a slefish Ahole who would help any friend in need, and I cant find a women who isnt codependant and clingy, then thats fine with me. Marriage isnt a necessity, im happy with who I am, and I enjoy the life I have. If I meet someone who can enrich my life, and I enrich theirs, then great, if not I'll continue to be single, and prolly a ton happier than the guy "trapped" in his marriage.

cardcounter0
09-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Did anyone consider you go back to bed and tell the girlfriend to go pick someone up at the airport at 5, because you are going to be busy with your afternoon nap?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

miajag81
09-02-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it wasn't the restraining orders?

[/ QUOTE ]

You pwn. Where have you been for the past couple months?

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was about mutual respect, you wouldnt be asking to do things that anyone who wasnt insecure and needy would realize was a no brainer.

And if I'm single for a looong time because I'm a slefish Ahole who would help any friend in need, and I cant find a women who isnt codependant and clingy, then thats fine with me. Marriage isnt a necessity, im happy with who I am, and I enjoy the life I have. If I meet someone who can enrich my life, and I enrich theirs, then great, if not I'll continue to be single, and prolly a ton happier than the guy "trapped" in his marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you really are lost. Here's another clue...It's not about the answer to the question, when you are in a happy marriage, it will always be 'yes'.

If you think getting married is about being 'trapped', you've already lost.

M2d
09-02-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does your wife commit you to things when she's not at them?

[/ QUOTE ]
you've never been married, have you?

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly it's about finding someone that will put up with you when you go off your meds.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you really are lost. Here's another clue...It's not about the answer to the question, when you are in a happy marriage, it will always be 'yes'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess im just a mature enough person to realize that asking pointless questions is lame. I'll never ask anyone a question unless im prepared to handle all the answers. So Im not gunna "ask" if I can pick a friend up from the airport when I already know there isnt any reason why I shoudlnt, because if she says "no" its not going to change my plan of action any.

And I dont think of being in a marriage as being "trapped", but I do think many people are "trapped" in their marriage. And since more than half of all marriages end in divorce, obviously im not to far off

Would you "ask" your wife if you could go pick up your male friend from the airport?

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly it's about finding someone that will put up with you when you go off your meds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake, what did you dream about posting last night instead of thinking about 'your family'?

Here's another clue. Don't get married, have kids and then spend 80% of your life on an internet message board trying to impress kids.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, what did you dream about posting last night instead of thinking about 'your family'?

Here's another clue. Don't get married, have kids and then spend 80% of your life on an internet message board trying to impress kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time, please wait until you're coherent to post.

cardcounter0
09-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Stick to your guns alobar. You are right.
This is BS.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it was about mutal respect, shouldn't the spouse respect you enough to make your own decision about picking up a friend at the airport?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I still like my option, go back to bed with spouse, call other girl friend and tell her to pick up the friend at the airport.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the truth hurt?

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you "ask" your wife if you could go pick up your male friend from the airport?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, for all I know, she has a friend that needs picking up too.

You really don't get this do you?

Sad.

RunDownHouse
09-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Alobar, its like trying to argue with SmarterChild. He can keep going forever, but there's not really any rational thinking behind the words.

Alobar
09-02-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, so basically you just lead your life obvlivious and you are married to a woman who never tells you anything until the last second because she knows youll do it.

You: "hey sweetie pie honey bumpkin munchie poo face who I love sooooo much, can I pick up my friend from the airport at 5. I know you will be at work, and there is nothing going on, but I just wanted to check with you first because I loooove you sooo much"

wife: "no, in a strange coincidence you have to pick up my friend from jazzersize at 5pm. I didnt tell you about it, and I wasnt going to until about 4:55 because I know you are at my beck and call anyway."

you: "thanks you so much for telline me honey, you are soo wise and smart, oh I love you so much."

yeah, I'm the sad one.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the truth hurt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth hurt? I don't even know what you're talking about.

ftball0000
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
I agree w/ alobar... what I would do is tell my gf/wife that I am going to pick someone up from the airport at 5. That is mutual respect, let the other person know that you have plans, but I would never ever ASK on such a minor thing as picking up a friend from the airport. In fact, I'm not so sure I would ASK my gf/wife for almost anything, I would discuss and ask for her opinion, but asking for permission is totally different... and if you have to then you are
http://www.cretin-derhamhall.org/Departmental/SocialStudies/Loeblein/Honors%20Hist%20Per%206/Images/whip.jpg

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, so basically you just lead your life obvlivious and you are married to a woman who never tells you anything until the last second because she knows youll do it.

You: "hey sweetie pie honey bumpkin munchie poo face who I love sooooo much, can I pick up my friend from the airport at 5. I know you will be at work, and there is nothing going on, but I just wanted to check with you first because I loooove you sooo much"

wife: "no, in a strange coincidence you have to pick up my friend from jazzersize at 5pm. I didnt tell you about it, and I wasnt going to until about 4:55 because I know you are at my beck and call anyway."

you: "thanks you so much for telline me honey, you are soo wise and smart, oh I love you so much."

yeah, I'm the sad one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Face it, you're lost. The example clearly states that the question comes at 5:00am for a pickup at 6:00pm

How about this...

"Honey, xxx asked me to pick them up at the airport tonight. Do we have anything planned? No? Ok, you need anything while I'm out that way??..."

That's ok, you continue down your 'me me me me me' path...alone (forever).

Alobar
09-02-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Face it, you're lost. The example clearly states that the question comes at 5:00am for a pickup at 6:00pm

How about this...

"Honey, xxx asked me to pick them up at the airport tonight. Do we have anything planned? No? Ok, you need anything while I'm out that way??..."

That's ok, you continue down your 'me me me me me' path...alone (forever).

[/ QUOTE ]

you already know you dont have anything planned, shes at work. And if you wake up in the morning and have ZERO clue what is going on that day, you are pretty pathetic.

I love how codependant people think that telling someone they will be alone, is somehow an insult. But I guess thats why you got married, and live your life sniffing your wifes panties, because you never figured out how to be alone, and function as person seprate from somebody esle.

That's ok, you continue down your 'yes dear' path...married FOR EH VER

Bluffoon
09-02-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dumb, but I don't have a death wish and am not dumb enough to second guess a spouses timing or reasoning for commiting me to something. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What right would your wife (or anybody) have to make a commitment for you without your knowledge or permission? And why is she TELLING you?

Alobar
09-02-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What right would your wife (or anybody) have to make a commitment for you without your knowledge or permission? And why is she TELLING you?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you dont get it. Its uh...mutual respect or something. YOULL WILL DIE ALONE AND SAD!

Bluffoon
09-02-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you dont get it. Its uh...mutual respect or something. YOULL WILL DIE ALONE AND SAD!

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not know anything about mutual respect and I may die alone and sad but I will die with my self-respect .

HopeydaFish
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible. So now you're saying that rather than asking for permission, you should just say "no" to your friend in need because your controlling bitch wife will get upset for the act of asking her permission??? That's pathetic.

Hand in your balls now, you don't deserve them.

nickey009
09-02-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible. So now you're saying that rather than asking for permission, you should just say "no" to your friend in need because your controlling bitch wife will get upset for the act of asking her permission??? That's pathetic.

Hand in your balls now, you don't deserve them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'm saying that's what some of my married friends have said. What was interesting was that for the most part single people will side with Alobar. Married people will side with Thin Man. I'm in a 4 year long relationship right now and can totally see both sides. Coincidence?

ddubois
09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does your wife commit you to things when she's not at them?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you asked me this in person, I would give you a hearty laugh, and that laugh would mean "Yes, duh".

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not know anything about mutual respect and I may die alone and sad but I will die with my self-respect .

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you guys are funny. You really don't get it do you?

It's not about self-respect, its not about asking for permission, its not about being your own person...

Marriage is about two people becoming one. Your spouse is suppose to be, first and foremost, your best friend. Trust is implied.

It is about communicating with your other half.

Bluffoon
09-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Walk towards the light.

ethan
09-02-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His girlfriend is over bearing. Why is she so insecure it's just a friend at the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. She's going to be _at work_. If "John" is cancelling dinner plans to go hang out with the other woman, then his wife could reasonably be upset. But just picking someone up at the airport doesn't affect her at all.