PDA

View Full Version : PLO Tournament Strategy in general and vs. NLH

Tessai
09-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi,

I would like to discuss 1. general tournament strategy for PLO and 2. compared to NLH.

If somebody knows older posts with that subject please tell me.(i read, that the search is not working for PLO)

For 1. any generall things which could be intresting (like lot of limpimg, stealing, slowplaying or lot of raising and so on)

For 2. I think most of us are more experienced in NLH tourneys and we have our different types of strategy like tight, aggressive or super aggressive. So do you think all of them work in PLO as well or some not?
And what about turning points in the tourney? like just out of the money or how many times do you have to have the initial pot so you can keep on playing like in live games or when do you have to make a move and what kind of move (limp or raise)?

thank you in advance Tessai /images/graemlins/grin.gif

barongreenback
09-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Your question is very broad and so hard to answer but here's a few thoughts.

Winning playing styles vary widely in PLO cash games and this should apply to tourneys as well. Losing your stack is more common in PLO than NLHE so you have to be very ready to bust out. Trying too hard to survive will give away a lot. On the other hand more people will see the flop so it may be hard to run over a full table.

Preflop hands run closer than HE. If stacks are short and you're able pick up blinds then that's a very good result. If you run into a hand you're prolly not in bad shape. So, if you have a big stack and others are playing survival there may be profitable opportunities for bullying. I'm new to tourneys so I don't know how this works in practice.

James