PDA

View Full Version : Question about folding to raises when you have the nuts - Explanation?

DawnToDusk
09-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I have been doing a lot of raising when I hold the nuts and have a draw to a better set of nuts. Like holding the nut straight and having a suited ace combo in my hand and two suits on the board. And it has been working out nicely for me (I'm not to PLO by the way. Been playing for only a couple days now.)

Lets say you are at a table with a player, who after careful observation, will only raise with the nut straight and the draw to the nut flush. Are you inclined to fold this hand right there? It just seems like they are on a massive freeroll (given the board doesn't pair) and that you are a big dog.

Here are some stats that I got really fast (Its from a program, but I don't know if its hookey or not. Let me know if it looks to be that way.)

Board: Js 9s 8c

Hand: win % lose % tie % EV
As 3s Tc Qd 40.00 6.95 53.05 0.665
7d Kh Qh Th 6.95 40.00 53.05 0.335

It just seems your a huge underdog and should fold, even if you have the nuts. Is this correct thinking?

Burdzthewurd
09-01-2005, 08:05 PM
You should generally try to avoid getting it all-in on the flop with a nut straight and no redraw.

- If someone pots it ahead of you, consider just calling and pushing on a blank turn (unless the player who bet is very tight and would also do this with a naked nut straight; in this case, you might be able to bluff if a scare card comes to you and he checks it, but don't try this at low-limits or noobs, only if you have a very good line on your opponent).
- If it's checked to you and you pot while someone then checkraises pot back at you, you should give good consideration to folding if this is done by a very tight player.
- If there's a bet and a few calls ahead of you, you should consider flat-calling as well looking for a safe turn with multiple draws on the flop.

DawnToDusk
09-01-2005, 09:20 PM
What if your out of position with the nut straight?

I understand that superior quality omaha reading is hard to come by. For that matter I am relying on these forms, tabling time, and going over hands with you guys. But for a quick crash course (I found it helpful as it helped address some errors from when I played Omaha just for fun), I read the PLO section by Lyle Berman. It was good crash course advice that I greatly needed, but I am trying not to take everything super seriously. I understand he is a high limit player and might be relating that information from high limits. Im learning and playing low limits with a bunch of crummy players. Anyways...

If you are out of position with lots of players behind you and there is 2 of a suit on the board, should you just check it? From my reading I understand that you aren't to give free cards unless you have like quads or an overfull. But pertaining to my low limits, would it just be wise to check with the nut straight?

09-03-2005, 04:40 AM
Let's say you have 9865 rainbow and the flop comes up JT7 with 2 clubs.

Here are some informative stats:

1. Against 8 totally random hands your odds of winning at the river are only slightly better than 1 in 8.

2. Against a single random hand you will only win 75% of the time here (assuming they don't fold). In Hold 'em, with 98off you're odds are 91%. IOW, your opponnent's pot odds are roughly triple in Omaha.

3. On a 9 player table, someone else will have the same straight approx 40% of the time. So almost half the time you're playing for a split at best.

4. At this point, you are a slight underdog heads-up against either JTxx with two clubs or a naked AKQx.

5. A player with 98xx and two clubs is a 7:3 favourite here, as is TT98. TT98 with two clubs has you over 4:1 here

In this light, it may be useful to stop thinking about a naked straight here as a "made hand" but rather a drawing hand. You're looking for non club 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6s. Thats 15 turn "outs" and 12 (or less if the turn becomes double 2 suited) river "outs". Keep in mind that they must come runner-runner.

Remember, you're not slowplaying if you're checking OOP with an inferior hand.