PDA

View Full Version : Looting and Integrity

Lestat
09-01-2005, 06:00 PM
So you live in New Orleans and you don't have much in the way of material possessions. But you have your pride and take great care to live a life of great integrity. You are a good citizen and a productive member of society. You pay your taxes, you come to full stops at stop signs, you even point out to the cashier when you were under charged.

Now you and your family are stranded and surrounded by utter chaos in New Orleans. The president of your country and stated on national television that there should be ZERO tolerance for looting. No matter how bad the situaion gets, hold out. Help is on its way.

In the meantime, you are watching your family suffer. Your 3 month old baby has a severe case of diaper rash that looks as if its getting infected. If your family does not receive some very basic necessaties, you are not 100% sure of their survival.

Is it ok to partake in looting in order to increase the likelihood of your family's survive? Or should you hold out for help as the president suggests and run the risk that it may get their too late?

If this person chooses to loot, has he just compromised a lifetime of integrity?

DougShrapnel
09-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Food and basic necessaties are ok to loot. However looting plasma TVs and jewels is not.

AlphaWice
09-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I loot even if I am rich. First, I go to walmart and get a gun. Then, I go to the jewelry store and rob everything. Then I go to the bank.

Dan Mezick
09-01-2005, 06:15 PM
The likelyhood of this person looting is remote at best.

TomCollins
09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Why not take now, pay later?

Lestat
09-01-2005, 06:32 PM
But President Bush said, "Zero tolerance". I take this to mean survival necesseties as well as plasma TV's. Wouldn't you?

Lestat
09-01-2005, 06:34 PM
<font color="red">The likelyhood of this person looting is remote at best. </font>

So in this case, his personal integrity system allows his new-born child to die? Isn't there a way for him to reconcile looting while maintaining his integrity?

Lestat
09-01-2005, 06:36 PM
This is certainly what I would do. Yet, the president stated NO LOOTING! As a patriotic American with impeccable integrity, is it ok to disobey your commander in chief?

Lestat
09-01-2005, 06:37 PM
<font color="red"> I loot even if I am rich. First, I go to walmart and get a gun. Then, I go to the jewelry store and rob everything. Then I go to the bank. </font>

Why?

DougShrapnel
09-01-2005, 06:43 PM
And one aspect of his job is to give the appearance of lawfulness. I think however that Bush non publicly doesn't begrudge a desparate family from lifting food and bottled water.

gumpzilla
09-01-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If this person chooses to loot, has he just compromised a lifetime of integrity?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of melodramatic phrasing to begin with. But let's neglect that. Why is he looting? Is he doing it because he can? Is he doing it because that is the only way to procure goods at the moment? It seems like one way you could reconcile this in the latter case is to pay the vendor later.

FlFishOn
09-01-2005, 09:28 PM
"Is it ok to partake in looting in order to increase the likelihood of your family's survive? "

Family survival, specifically offspring, is the prime directive. All else matters very little.

goofball
09-01-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not take now, pay later?

[/ QUOTE ]

goofball
09-01-2005, 09:47 PM
It is logical to take extreme measures to survive.

09-01-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But President Bush said, "Zero tolerance". I take this to mean survival necesseties as well as plasma TV's. Wouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]President Bush says lots of things; I don't believe them all.

ChipWrecked
09-02-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The president of your country and stated on national television that there should be ZERO tolerance for looting. No matter how bad the situaion gets, hold out. Help is on its way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I did not see the President say this, as I am in NO and have no access to TV, I loot. Essentials only.

Well, maybe an iPod if one is laying around.