PDA

View Full Version : 8th place

stillbr
09-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Well I've decided to start posting hands where I bust out in 8, 9 or 10th where I feel I might have made the wrong move..

So here goes...
Level 3 I get delt KQo in the SB with a stack of 650 after posting. Folded around to the Button who raises to 175. He seems reasonable, I have no real reads on him. I havent seen him do anything weird or stupid.

Anyways.. I push, BB folds, Button calls with AK.

I'm out in 8th.

Is this a bad push? Too early/too aggressive?

durron597
09-01-2005, 05:38 PM
FWIW I think this is fine

Edit: I would like to have a read most of the time first, but it looks like a random button raise, he could have a lot of things

Angelic_Ace
09-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I think its still too early for a move like this with qk...

Angelic_Ace
09-01-2005, 05:40 PM
but im a very conservative player until 6 left, if this is your style and it usually works, it might not be a bad play. I dont think its a big enough raise though to make him lay down a decent hand very often, when he does call youre almost always going to be behind or a coin flip.

BigHobo
09-01-2005, 05:42 PM
No way I make that push. KQo is just not that good of a hand. You would need a really good read on the guy (which you obviously didn't have) to make that push worthwhile, IMO.

pokerlaw
09-01-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think its a big enough raise though to make him lay down a decent hand very often, when he does call youre almost always going to be behind or a coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I agree w/ this analysis. I fold here and wait for a better time (like when there are a few limpers and a push could get them all to fold, for example).

stillbr
09-01-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but im a very conservative player until 6 left, if this is your style and it usually works, it might not be a bad play. I dont think its a big enough raise though to make him lay down a decent hand very often, when he does call youre almost always going to be behind or a coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no style(i think lol), as I am fairly new to SnG's & am still figureing everything out. I figured this is a simple blind steal with a marginal hand like A9 or QJ or trash enough to make a push here a good play. I dont think I'm called/dominated enough to make this a bad play. Of coarse I could be completely wrong here.

pokerlaw
09-01-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no style(i think lol), as I am fairly new to SnG's & am still figureing everything out. I figured this is a simple blind steal with a marginal hand like A9 or QJ or trash enough to make a push here a good play. I dont think I'm called/dominated enough to make this a bad play. Of coarse I could be completely wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

w/ no read on someone, a raise to t175 on 25/50 generally means a stronger hand than your listed range IMO, most of the time it is something like AK-A9, pok pair, i.e. hands that are ahead of you and, while they might muck, will call too often (ESPECIALLY at lower buy-ins) to make this +EV. of course, that is just my $0.02

durron597
09-01-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said it's read dependant. I don't hate it readless, it's very close readless IMO.

Apathy
09-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I would almost always fold this (even in an 8000 chips game) dont post results next time though, you usually get better responses.

The Yugoslavian
09-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Pushing KQ there is a leak. I pretty much never would in the 8000 chip stack games vs. any opponent.

Yugoslav

stillbr
09-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I need to post results as my whole point is to plug leaks causing me 8th-10th.

And the advice in this thread is exactly what I'm lookin 4. Looks like the push with KQ here is bad.

bluefeet
09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
It is obvious you posted because you busted, but sharing the "actual results" (other's cards) can subconciously effect the advice you might receive ("hell no! obviously that raise was screaming AKo!...that kind of thing).

Edit: Sharing hunches/reads that effected your decision is a VERY good thing however (along w/ stack sizes of ALL players left, blinds, etc.)

Kanchi
09-01-2005, 06:15 PM
It's 8 handed, you're SB, level 3--there is plenty of time to pick a better spot..

GtrHtr
09-01-2005, 06:16 PM
This is a fold and here is why.

1. You are in reasonable shape with your starting stack. There are still 8 players left which means the blinds will not be hitting you as often which further means you can be fairly selective of the hands you chose to play.

2. That raise by the button could mean a lot of things, you didn't mention his stack size, so I'd consider it a sign of strength. I'd expect to get called if I push from the sb.

lorinda
09-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I deliberately didn't reply to this one early as this was partially what I expected to see earlier on when we were looking at stats in some-thread-or-other, but I agree with the majority on this one.

The easiest way to work out that there will be a better spot is that later on, the blinds will be forced to put in 75 + 150 without even looking at their cards. this is a similar sized pot where the guy has chosen to put chips in.

Lori

stillbr
09-01-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is obvious you posted because you busted

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the case; look for my post a few pages down.

bluefeet
09-01-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I've decided to start posting hands where I bust out in 8, 9 or 10th

[/ QUOTE ]

The world "obviously' wasn't meant to be condescending (don't know that you took it this way).

It just sounded like you missed Apathy's point about sharing "results"...just helping clarify. And in this hand in particular it was clear that it busted you (with or without knowledge of the villians holdings).

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stillbr
09-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I understand not posting the results as it may sway advice. I just want to let it be known I'm trying to plug leaks that are causing me 8-10.

bluefeet
09-01-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand not posting the results as it may sway advice. I just want to let it be known I'm trying to plug leaks that are causing me 8-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

noooo, i COMPLETELY understand - and am glad you are doing so...benificial to all. i wasn't busting your chops for your post in anyway - good stuff.

AliasMrJones
09-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Easy fold in my book.

MegaBet
09-01-2005, 07:03 PM
eugh

Pudge714
09-01-2005, 11:27 PM
You are getting so little folding equity and you are losing to almost all hands.