PDA

View Full Version : getting into trouble when raising 109s utg

Wynton
09-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Sorry, I don't have hh, so bear with me. Ignore the pf raise, which I thought was ok because I had tight image and wanted to mix things up (from what I can recall). What is your flop and turn plan?

Hero is UTG. Raises pf with 10h9h. Next two players cc. Button raises. Blinds fold, and everyone else calls.

Flop: Kc, 9s, 4c. Everyone checks.

My plan was to c/r, if only one person bet, and everyone who acted later folded. But I was also planning to c/fold if one person bet and there was one caller. Should I have planned to call one bet no matter what? Should I even have been prepared to call 2 bets?

Turn: Jh. Hero bets. Everyone calls.

Here, I thought there was a chance that I could represent the K by betting (so that it would like I had missed a c/r on flop when everyone checked). But if I got 1 caller, or at least 2, I would have abandoned the hand. Was it worth firing one bet to see if I could take the pot, or was this simply foolish?

River: 7c. Checked through.

Wynton
09-01-2005, 06:56 PM
a bump, just in case someone's dying to comment without knowing yet

kidcolin
09-01-2005, 07:00 PM
You pretty much have to c/c or c/r the flop. You can't check-fold given the pot odds. Your outs are a little dirty, but not enough since the pot is pretty big.

I can't blame you for taking a stab on the turn. I'm assuming you fold to a raise.

Checking through was pretty cool. Nice cheap showdown. I assume button shows QQ and/or someone else has you beat.

luckyharr
09-01-2005, 07:04 PM
What limit was this at?

Wynton
09-01-2005, 07:06 PM
5/10. Does it change your thinking?

RunDownHouse
09-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Sorry, can't resist pf: if the table is loose enough that two CC and the button raises, I don't care what my image is, I'm mucking T9s UTG.

Assuming that was a bit of an anomaly, I still don't fire at the turn. Between maybe clean pair outs and a fairly clean straight draw - although all those are tainted by crubs - I can't fold to a raise. I hate paying two to see the river. So I check and call one bet back to me, more than that and I fold.

Wynton
09-01-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, can't resist pf: if the table is loose enough that two CC and the button raises, I don't care what my image is, I'm mucking T9s UTG.

Assuming that was a bit of an anomaly, I still don't fire at the turn. Between maybe clean pair outs and a fairly clean straight draw - although all those are tainted by crubs - I can't fold to a raise. I hate paying two to see the river. So I check and call one bet back to me, more than that and I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since you couldn't resist about pf: I totally agree with your comments. But this was one of those situations where I had been playing very tight, thought (stupidly) others might be noticing and did not expect all the callers. Had I seen this happen routinely before, I wouldn't have tried it.

As for the turn, you really think it's not safe to fold to a raise?

luckyharr
09-01-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5/10. Does it change your thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought it might be a lower limit because of the preflop action. Good table.

I like the way you played it. I think on the flop ideally you want to C/R a button bet. You can overcall one bet but not 2 cold.

Given the flop action, I like leading the turn. On the river, it sure seems like you are beat and the only line is C/F or C/C depending on where the bet comes from. Playing middle pairs out of position in multiway pots can be tricky, but I'll refrain from commenting on the preflop action. I've found a reason to raise T9s UTG myself before.

CanKid
09-01-2005, 09:12 PM
I cap preflop cause I'd cap most UTG raising hands 4 way, so no sense tipping off im light. can also make those limpers think think they're gonna get jammed on the flop and don't chase as bad, don't put money into flop unless u have at least SOME potential, b/d draws included

if you're gonna spew, spew into this

Wynton
09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cap preflop cause I'd cap most UTG raising hands 4 way, so no sense tipping off im light. can also make those limpers think think they're gonna get jammed on the flop and don't chase as bad, don't put money into flop unless u have at least SOME potential, b/d draws included

if you're gonna spew, spew into this

[/ QUOTE ]

You really reraise this pf? Even if I lose the ccs, I don't see this affecting the button, who already reraised after 2 people cc and, therefore, must have something pretty good.