PDA

View Full Version : Another PLO8 Hand

Sean D
09-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Villain seemed decent, hadn't done anything crazy so far, and was up a buyin when I got there. Opinions?

Game #788232334: Omaha High/Low Pot Limit ($0.50/$1) - 2005/08/31 - 21:27:09 (ET)
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to sean3d333 [7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]
Deezzz: folds
sexycat: folds
ltcpro1: calls $1
elzorro6: folds
jusu1234: folds
cornuto: folds
cacao: folds
YodaKalim: calls $1
sean3d333: calls $0.50
dolly: raises to $3
ltcpro1: calls $2
YodaKalim: calls $2
sean3d333: calls $2
----- FLOP ----- [K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
sean3d333: checks
dolly: bets $5
ltcpro1: calls $5
YodaKalim: folds
sean3d333: calls $5
----- TURN ----- [K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif][2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]
sean3d333: checks
dolly: bets $10
ltcpro1: folds
sean3d333: raises to $57
dolly: calls $47
----- RIVER ----- [K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif][6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]
sean3d333: bets $11 and is all-in
dolly: calls $11

Ironman
09-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Looks pretty standard to me.

You got all your money into the pot by the river with the nut low and a decent high.

Good river card helped you a bunch, but what is your play if the river isn't helpful? Do you still put in your last 11 with a small set?

I guess you are probably still ahead on the turn, otherwise your opponent would have reraised on the turn.

Hope you got more than half.

Dave

Mendacious
09-02-2005, 10:12 AM
can't quibble with any of that.

Ironman
09-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Mendacious,

Something still bothers me about the amount of the turn raise...I can't put my finger on it though. Somehow, I think I'd prefer a half bet...or something smaller.

That way I can get away from the all in call on the river if I completely wiff.

But...I'd rather that advice (or something completely different) come from the better PLO players since that is not where my primary focus is.

What do you guys think?

Dave

Mendacious
09-02-2005, 12:51 PM
I don't know about the "better" players remark, but I think this was a fine way to play the hand. In this instance, in Hero's place I am thinking that I probably have the hi, as is. I would want the flush or straight draws to overpay to draw, and if the Villan is drawing low and folds, I may not have maxed my profit, but I can live with this takedown.

Assuming you play it your way, and make a middling raise, do you fold if you are re-raised-- if not, you are in the same position as if you raised the pot yourself. And if Villian merely calls, what type of card do you fold to on the River? In my opinion only a card that you should have tried to chase on the turn.

While I like to mix it up and be tricky at times, I tend to try to avoid plays that will give me very tough and expensive decisions on future streets. I would prefer to get fold equity and not have to make a tough choice later on this hand.

I say this for 3 reasons:
1) I consider myself a good--not great player, and am not confident that I will always make the best decision in this situation, ESPECIALLY ONLINE-- where there are no other external indicators to help me read my opponent,

2) Giving yourself tough decision after tough decision wears on you, and overtime you will find yourself second guessing and getting down on yourself-- even when you don't know whether you were wrong or right when you made that "great" laydown. In my book it is psychologically better to play aggressive and sometimes get unlucky then to be in a constant state of wonderment and second guessing. Moreover, I think it makes you tougher to play against as well.

3) I often multi-table and this type of play makes it harder.

gergery
09-02-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That way I can get away from the all in call on the river if I completely wiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a big fan of thinking about ways to fold trips with top kicker on the river when it would cost $11 to call in a $120 pot.

Your opponent is most likely to have a worse 2xx or A3 possibly with diamonds here, but I can’t think of a hand that I’d flat call with there, so maybe your opponent is just bad. But put him on a hand – any made boat should just push over your turn bet so the only way you are beat for high is if he has 26xx or 34xx, both of which are possible given how he played it, and if he has that, then its unlikely he also has A3.

And i play it the same.

-greg

Ironman
09-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah...this is probably not a place to get tricky. Keep pushing until someone gives you a reason not to push anymore.

Thanks,

Dave

Sean D
09-02-2005, 03:43 PM
The flop seemed like a standard continuation bet from the PFR. When I made trips on the turn, I didn't really want to outguess myself on the river if my hand was good. I don't like the idea of making a smaller raise, and having to fold to a reraise. I certainly didn't like the call from Villain, but I think with a boat Villain may have set me in right there. Although it was certain the rest of my money was going in on the river anyway. Also, results:

----- SHOW DOWN -----
sean3d333: shows [7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] (Three of a kind, Twos, Ace high)
dolly: shows [6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] (Two Pairs, Kings and Sixes, Five high)
sean3d333 collected $80 from Main pot
sean3d333 collected $80 from Main pot

I think Villain's call on the turn was pretty bad. I could already have filled up, and with only A6 backup for low, they could easily have been drawing dead.