PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Hand

FishyWhale
04-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Good game, a little bit on the tight side, no crazy players.

3rd: A queen completes in EP, two or three callers to me with KTK, I just call, jack raises (really tight player), queen reraises, only one caller (untricky and loose and predictable), I call, jack caps, three of us call. I put the jack on aces because he would slowplay trips but not reraise with jacks against a queen and a king showing.

4th: We all catch blanks, checked to jack who bets, we all call.

5th: I now have KTK66 and bet into the jack, he reraises, the other two fold (two two-flushes showing), I call and hope the sixth card doesnīt pair my opponents board.

Question: Knowing that my opponent has got a higher pair, I thought about 3-betting, but what are the chances that heīll fold a pair of aces here?

6th: My opponents board didnīt pair and I wanted to check-raise him, but he checked behind.

7th: I check in the dark, he bets, and wins with aces up.

Comments?

Andy B
04-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Why not re-raise on third street? When it comes back to you raised and re-raised, it looks like you may be beaten in two places. You're almost certainly beaten in one. Someone raises with a Queen in the door, and a tight, no-nonsense player re-raises? What do you put him on? I actually thought he was rolled-up until he checked behind on sixth. In any case, you're behind, and I wouldn't put in three more bets.

Having played, I think that the rest of the hand was just fine. If you really thought he had Aces and wanted to check-raise on sixth, it would have been better to three-bet fifth and then bet sixth if he didn't improve. He's got to figure he's behind on sixth, and I don't think you can depend on him to bet your hand for you.

Wombat6
04-18-2003, 01:13 AM
if you got your opponent on A's why call at all. If you got kings and things your either a small favorite or a big dod to A's with at least live cards . Remember if its live it isnt likely a total brick.

Wombat6

patrick dicaprio
04-18-2003, 09:09 AM
i think you played it Ok. i dont see the point of reraising on third street, and you shouldnt fold since you know that your opponent has aces in teh hole, and you have a positive expectation, I think, if the queens stay in. this may be counterintuitive i think, but you are better off here with a third player since you have to improve anyway.

fifth street is fine. there is no chance he will fold aces here.

sixth street is where i would differ. i would bet here since if he has unimproved aces he will call. i see your thinking, in that most players will bet aces here if checked to, so i cant say that you are wrong for thinking this. but often it is just better to bet here.

i would have bet the river since even if he has just aces he will likely still call. if you had successfully checkraised would you have still checked dark? i hope not.

Pat

SittingBull
04-18-2003, 01:42 PM
want to fold on 4th since U ARE a "money favorite".
Even though U are about a 2 to 1 dog, the pot is laying U about 7 to 1 to continue to play with 2 other players in this spot provided your K's are live. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Even if U were heads up on 4th against a sure pocket A's,U are a "money favorite" since there is enough "dead money" in the pot to continue to play. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
U are still about a 2 to 1 dog when the pot is clearly laying U more than this to continue.
U ARE a favorite to LOSE the pot /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif .However ,over time,in these similar spots,U will make more money than U will lose. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif The problem with playing as a "money favorite" is that it MIGHT be a long time BEFORE U realize an eventual profit since U will lose MOST of the time /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . So playing in this fashion could create some "psychological drawbacks" /forums/images/icons/confused.gif .But very good players are able to deal with these "emotional setbacks". /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Happy Pokering,
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif SittingBull

FishyWhale
04-19-2003, 09:25 AM
I see your point about the 5th street play, but is there a realistic chance that he will fold on 6th if unimproved (or would you fold in this spot)?

FishyWhale
04-19-2003, 09:28 AM
fifth street is fine. there is no chance he will fold aces here.

I know. The idea behind 3-betting would be to make him fold on sixth if unimproved, what do you think about that?

Andy B
04-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Have you read the chapter on sixth street play in 7CS4AP? It's very short, for the very good reason that it's almost always correct to call, and good players and bad play it pretty much the same. Even if you turned your two pair face up, he'd be correct to call with just Aces.

patrick dicaprio
04-22-2003, 09:23 AM
i think it is unlikely he will fold if he called a reraise on fifth.

Pat