PDA

View Full Version : My Summer Synposis and Wrap-Up. (both poker and other...)

ggbman
09-01-2005, 03:36 PM
So, I’m in college now. Wow that’s weird to write. I got here on the 30th, and everything is pretty sweet so far. There’s plenty of hot girls, the campus in nice, and I’m right next to Boston. The summer was awesome, both poker-wise and all around.

I had some set some specific goals at the beginning of the summer and I am pleased to say that I exceeded them all. I really had wanted to get back to the 10-20 6 max games through the middle of the summer. I had a 14k hands breakeven stretch right as I moved up, but then I beat the game for something like 3bb/100 over my next 30k hands. I have been paying more and more attention to table selection lately, and having this in mind, I took a shot at 20-40. I am pleased to report there was no breakeven stretch this time, and the transition went very well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had a more than comfortable roll to play with, so I know if it didn’t go well I could always just move back down. It really is amazing how much easier it is to in when you employ good table selection, it pains me to think how much money I have passed up over the last year not doing so. My specific goal for August was to make $10,000 including rakeback. I am pleased to say I was able to double that before rakeback, so this summer really has been somewhat of a breakout for me.

I am hoping I can make the transition to college well, and still be able to log a decent number of hands. It’s much more important for me to have fun now and meet lots of new people, so I anticipate I’ll be playing less then usual. I find I can usually get in 20k hands/month during the school year give or take a few thousand. This month I’m just not going to set poker goals, because I want my focus to be on other things, although hopefully this wont affect my game too much.

Another interesting that happened this summer is that I started coaching towards the end of it. It was pretty funny how it happened, a poster who I like asked me out of the blue if I had ever done it before and if I would like to. At the same time, someone started a thread about coaches, my name got mentioned, and all of a sudden I had a ton of inquiries. Coaching has been quite fun and I’ve gotten to know some pretty cool people as a result. It’s very tough to fit into my schedule these days just because everything is so hectic, but there mere fact that people have that kind of confidence in me is extremely flattering.

I enjoyed playing in some fun 2+2 games over the summer as well, I always learn a lot from guys like Schenids, Dcifrths, James282, etc… so I felt like I got a lot out of those. Hopefully there will be some more in the near future. This is kind of off topic, but I just wanted to share it because it affected me in a very positive way. When I was talking to James, I asked him why he hadn’t been posting lately etc… and eventually got it out of him that he had volunteered at a camp for under-privileged kids over the summer. He didn’t being it up or mention it, I asked, he wasn’t at all looking for recognition. It really reminded how fortunate I am, and I should look to be more generous both with my time and my money to help out people who just don’t have the same opportunities I had.

I don’t have any crazy college stories to relate yet, I met a few cool girls who hung out in the dorm until like 3. Getting up for the 8:30 class was not fun. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I have been surprised by how generally nice everyone is here; I think I’m really going to enjoy. I’ll post some pictures of the dorm setup later; it’s pretty off the hook. It’s very nice to be in an environment where everyone has more freedom. Throughout high school, I always had all the freedom I needed, which was pretty meaningless since not many of my friends did. In particular, my ex-gf who I had and still kinda have a long on and off relationship with had very strict parents, and non of this stuff will be an issue here.

So there it, my very god summer!

lozen
09-01-2005, 03:58 PM
You sure your not entering grade 9 and this is your " What i did this summer" report? Just kidding. Go figure paying for college with poker. Your parents should be proud. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good read sounds like a good summer hope you got out and enjoyed the outdoors a bit.

ggbman
09-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Actually i spent way more time outdoors than last summer, primarily playing tennis. Such an incredibly fun game once you get to appreciate it.