PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

09-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Claunchy
09-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Trainwreck, buddy.

AngryCola
09-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Politics (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=politics)

EDIT-

The Trainwreck would work, too.

09-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Looting and "stealing" cannot really be considered along the same lines. When i think of looting i think of people deliberatly taking advantage of the fact that people are dying and helpless. So in answer to your question...no

krazyace5
09-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Food and drink is fine, personally I don't know why they give a [censored] about any of it, it is all junk anyway. This is NO.

No excuse for it in other areas.

Alobar
09-01-2005, 02:42 PM
I'd never loot for anything materialistic like a TV or some shiny object. There are lots of scenerios tho were I would loot for food/water and not lose a seconds sleep over it.

I got in a huge argument with this lawyer chick im dating. She was telling me about people looting in NO (I dont watch the news) and that the cops just stand there and watch them because they cant arrest them because there is nowhere to put them (she even said some cops were joining in). I said that was [censored] stupid, all the cop has to do is get some ID from them, put their name on a list, and they arrest all the fucktards once everything is back to normal.

she said this was a horrible plan and couldnt work at all. She then could provide no legal reason why it couldnt be done.

Sponger15SB
But dude, I reallllly need a wide screen TV.

My 13" TV/VCR combo just isn't cutting it any more.

jakethebake
I think scavenging for food would be perfectly acceptable to most people. It's not at all the same as taking advantage of the situation to loot people houses of jewelry, TVs, etc. If you really felt badly about stealing the food from an abandoned store to survive, you could always go back and pay for it later. This is not really much of a dilemma.

TheMainEvent
09-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I would do it if I needed food or something to survive, or if it was some kind of apocalyptic scenario where it was clear that the infrastructure/economy would not likely be rebuilt soon anyway.

Onaflag
09-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, and anything else that sold food should be, by law, open to the public in disasters like this. It should not be considered looting when people enter a supermarket in search of food and water when there are no other resources available.

They can't get cash, the ATMs are broken. They can't get out, the police are forcing them to stay put. The stores should in some other way be reimbursed at the end of the tragedy.

There is an obligation to keep these people hydrated and somewhat fed. It should not be considered looting unless something other than food, water, medicine, diapers, and other necessities are taken.

All laws of normal commerce should be tossed out the window for the duration.

So would I loot daily necessities? You bet I would. I'd try to organize some way to collect the goods and get them passed out to the dying. Of course, I'm not there, so I can talk as brave as I want, but what would it be like there? Only those poor people know.

Onaflag.........

krazyace5
09-01-2005, 03:00 PM
The insurance should cover it, the stuff would just go bad anyway.

Sponger15SB
09-01-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, and anything else that sold food should be, by law, open to the public in disasters like this. It should not be considered looting when people enter a supermarket in search of food and water when there are no other resources available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're right. All the people with no cash or credit cards on them but yet have broken into pawn shops and are roaming the streets with guns should be allowed to walk right into your shop and kill you and take everything anyways.

irishpint
09-01-2005, 03:08 PM
NY times yesterday there was a very picture, allow me to describe in vivid detail...

a black man, around the age of 24, shirtless as expected, riding a small bike in a walmart. the bike still had the tag/info on the front. he had a yellow headband, eye black, and a ja rule stupid grin. oh, and he was carrying a fricking shotgun while biking in the ladies clothing section. and someone had the balls to take his picture.

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-01-2005, 03:43 PM
I was going to go down there this weekend, but everything will be gone by then.

jba
09-01-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NY times yesterday there was a very picture, allow me to describe in vivid detail...

a black man, around the age of 24, shirtless as expected, riding a small bike in a walmart. the bike still had the tag/info on the front. he had a yellow headband, eye black, and a ja rule stupid grin. oh, and he was carrying a fricking shotgun while biking in the ladies clothing section. and someone had the balls to take his picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very efficient way to get shot.

djoyce003
09-01-2005, 03:58 PM
there is a huge difference between taking stuff in order to survive, and taking stuff for financial gain. One is looting, the other is simple survival that in that situation I wouldn't deny anyone the rights to. If some tool is crawling out of someone's house with jewelry though, he should be summarily executed.

MyTurn2Raise
09-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Link to picture of shotgun bike looter?

alta_chuttes
09-01-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She then could provide no legal reason why it couldnt be done

[/ QUOTE ]

its more a practical obstacle and potential saftey issue for the cop. mobs suck when they turn on you

you don't need to be arrested and taken to jail to be charged with a crime, see for example a traffic ticket, although practically speaking that is what occurs with most offenses above a misdemeanor.

there is no real legal obstacle to what u propose, other than an argument that it violates the right to a speedy trial under the 6th amendment becuase these folks won't be "rounded up" and prosecuted any time soon. but that argument won't work given the circumstances.

if somebody is looting food/survival supplies, good luck trying to convict them before a jury of their peers- it won't happen.

Klepton
09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Link to picture of shotgun bike looter?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://myspace-256.vo.llnwd.net/00206/65/21/206981256_l.jpg