PDA

View Full Version : Medium pair on button

MHunt
09-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Just played a hand, and didn't really have a good fealing
about how I played it. Pretty normal situation, so I'd love to hear your opinions.

600NL game (blinds 3 and 6), don't know any of the players.
I have appr 550, and so does SB.

I get TT on button. Everybody folds, I make it 15, sb raises to 35, bb folds, I call.

First question : I can argue for fold, call, and raise on this preflop play. I think maybe calling is a bit weak. Reraise another 35 with intention to fold to another reraise seems better ?

Flop comes 2 5 9 rainbow, and sb bets 40. I chose to fold, figuring it was fold or raise (folding to reraise). Again, what do you guys think ?

Thanks,
MHunt

Allinlife
09-01-2005, 02:07 PM
why did you think it was call or fold?

against unknown I'd probably call flop and fold to turn bet

MHunt
09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
OK, so you wouldn't reraise preflop, but would call flop. Maybe you are right, but I still think not reraising preflop in good position is a bit weak. If he has monster overpair, I'd rather try to find out preflop by folding to another reraise. I am giving him a lot of power if he has AK. By reraising preflop, I will probably make him check flop, after which I can bet it and take it home.

Same thing would apply to flop (assuming I did not reraise preflop). By just calling, I am giving him a lot of power and not really getting much information.

I don't know, but thank you very much for your reply.

MHunt

MHunt
09-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Also, reraising preflop might even make him lay down JJ or QQ

/MHunt

Marlow
09-01-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, so you wouldn't reraise preflop, but would call flop. Maybe you are right, but I still think not reraising preflop in good position is a bit weak. If he has monster overpair, I'd rather try to find out preflop by folding to another reraise. I am giving him a lot of power if he has AK. By reraising preflop, I will probably make him check flop, after which I can bet it and take it home.

Same thing would apply to flop (assuming I did not reraise preflop). By just calling, I am giving him a lot of power and not really getting much information.

I don't know, but thank you very much for your reply.

MHunt

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was thinking. I like the reraise for the sake of gaining info. But I only do this if villian is very tight (to gain fold equity) or very loose (because I'm prolly ahead).

Marlow

yvesaint
09-01-2005, 02:34 PM
I think betting/raising to 'gain info' is overused and -EV...

AZK
09-01-2005, 02:52 PM
raise more preflop, call raise, raise flop. Check/fold if he continues.

09-01-2005, 04:30 PM
You have to raise more preflop ($25-$30). You're in the best position with what is most likely the best hand, but you won't mind taking the blinds and winning it right there.
This size bet accomplishes several things that your smaller bet does not - (1) it makes it harder for the SB to reraise with a hand like AQ or JJ thinking you're stealing on the button (2) if and when you get reraised, you gain far more information - if it's a minraise, stick around, you're probably still good, if it's =>2x your raise, then you have a decision, albeit pretty straightforward.
That said, with how you played it, you should raise the bet 1.5x on the flop and see what happens. Fold to a reraise, be thankful for a fold, and if you're just called, you're likely to get called all the way down to an expensive end (don't be afraid to occasionally let the turn go check-check if given the chance) unless you start playing it hard, in which case you should plan to play it like you would play a set. If he sticks till the river, he's not leaving, so check if you're unimproved and given the option.
If checked to on the turn, I would typically bet the pot on the turn and see what happens. Realize that for this to work, your opponent must think that you're capable of letting him take the betting lead preflop because you've already got the isolation and action you want with AA or KK.
These are some of the most difficult hands to play, and I'm by no means saying my approach is the best, but it's one I've used in similar situations with success - I'm interested in what others say.

MTBlue
09-01-2005, 04:45 PM
This might be the most weak-tight play I've ever seen.

warlockjd
09-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Rz to 21 at absolute minimum preflop

Call rrz and assume AA for villain and play postflop accordingly.

Alternatively, pot rz the flop, fold to a push, and be ready to check the turn and ck fold the river unimp.