PDA

View Full Version : What should your Bankroll be?

09-01-2005, 01:54 PM
What is a good amount for a bankroll playing .5/1 NL blind tables? I have usually kept mine around $300-500, but feel this may be to small. Also, I buy in tables for $100. Is this a good buy in amount($100 is the max you can buy in at the site I play) What would be a good bankroll for .25/.5 blinds? Thanks so much for any help!!

Kaeser
09-01-2005, 02:04 PM
You want at least 10x the buy-in for the limit you play. Less then that is fine if you can put more money in if you lose.

Jorge10
09-01-2005, 02:18 PM
You have 5 buy ins, thats not nearly enough. I would say at least 10-15 buy ins just to be able to take hits. Some days you might lose 3-4 buy ins just because your running bad, its happened to me, you need to be able to take those hits and keep going.

[ QUOTE ]
You want at least 10x the buy-in for the limit you play. Less then that is fine if you can put more money in if you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting more money in is a bad idea, you will lose track of money spent that way. If your having to put in money all the time from your bank account, your either
1)A Losing Player or
2)Playing Way Too High.

09-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I prefer 20 buy-ins. Have enough so that if you get all your $ in PF with AA against 1 caller, and lose to an inferior hand, it won't bother you.

In your case, with 400-500 bucks you could lose 100 in one hand with the PF nuts. That would certainly bother you. Don't do it.

09-01-2005, 11:53 PM
I think we're confusing 2 things.

To have 20x buy in so you can move all in? That makes no sense. He's talking about bankroll - not how much to buy in with. We should distinguish between buy-in amount and how much to have in your bankroll - 2 VERY different things.

KJL
09-02-2005, 12:00 AM
He wasn't confusing anything. He wa saying that if you had a bankroll of $500 and you buy in each game for $100, you would be in bad shape if you got your AA sucked out on and lost 20% of your bankroll. If he had a $2000 bankroll, he would be able to afford this bad beat.

09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I don't know what you think I'm confusing... but I'm not.

Just think about it..if you get all your money in PF with AA and lose to an inferior hand (and lost 1 buy-in), will it either A) Physically hurt your bankroll, or B) emotionally affect your peace-of-mind?

If the answer to either of these is yes, then you are playing beyond your means.

Very simple.

This happened to me once at 25NL, I got it all in PF with AA, lost to like KJ....lost a whole buy-in and it stung bad. I then new that I was a long way from moving up to 50nl, both mentally, and in terms of my physical bankroll.

Now my roll is around $850 and I just dropped a whole buy-in last night with KK vs. 88, getting it all in PF. It sucked, but it didnt cripple my bankroll in any way or put me on tilt. Hope this helps.

subzero
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
You're bankroll is too small for 100NL. Variance alone will wipe it out. The bankroll size also depends on what you're comfortable with. I have 35 buy-ins. That's enough for my comfort level (i.e. I don't stress too much when I get stacked). Look at the 6th question in this poll: click (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3298044&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post3298233)

subzero
09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This happened to me once at 25NL, I got it all in PF with AA, lost to like KJ....lost a whole buy-in and it stung bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, now. No bad beats. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I had KK losing to KK when the board gave him four flush cards. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif