PDA

View Full Version : Good Blog re. Hurricane stuff

swede123
09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Apologizes if this has been posted before, I just saw it at another website. Pretty interesting.

Oops. Here is the link (http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/).

Swede

jakethebake
09-01-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apologizes if this has been posted before, I just saw it at another website. Pretty interesting.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fantastic!

Boris
09-01-2005, 12:47 PM
so uh, where's the link?

CollinEstes
09-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Wow that is probably one of the most interesting and distrubing things I have ever read.

Thanks for the link.

swede123
09-01-2005, 01:51 PM
The part about cops turning into looters is pretty damn scary. Sounds like the guy posting this blog has his stuff together though. Buying 1500 gallons of diesel is a pretty big endeavour.

Swede

CollinEstes
09-01-2005, 01:54 PM
It is surreal to think that all of that is happening less than a 5 hour/drive away from where I am in Southeast Texas.

They need help bad.

Ed Miller
09-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey, I know one of these guys from an online game I used to play in college. He gave me free web hosting way back when.

DirectNIC are good people.

cadillac1234
09-01-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oops. Here is the link (http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/).

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

F'ing incredible. This is a clusterf#ck of unimaginable size. I went through the Oakland Hills Fire as a paramedic which was incredibly poorly run and chaotic but this is so beyond comprehension...

I cannot believe they still haven't made mass food and water drops in the convention center area.

From the Blog:

'It's raining now and I guess that's a relief from the heat. It's hot as hell down there in the sun. Crime is absolutely rampant: rapes, murders, rape-murder combinations.

I have really cut back answering IMs. Not enough time. I apologize people.

In case anyone in national security is reading this, get the word to President Bush that we need the military in here NOW. The Active Duty Armed Forces. Mr. President, we are losing this city. I don't care what you're hearing on the news. The city is being lost. It is the law of the jungle down here. The command and control structure here is barely functioning. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault -- I'm not sure it could be any other way at this point. We need the kind of logistical support and infrastructure only the Active Duty military can provide. The hospitals are in dire straights. The police barely have any capabilities at this point. The National Guard is doing their best, but the situation is not being contained. I'm here to help in anyway I can, but my capabilities are limited and dropping. Please get the military here to maintain order before this city is lost.'

cbfair
09-01-2005, 02:23 PM
This quote is the scariest I've seen yet:

[ QUOTE ]
In case anyone in national security is reading this, get the word to President Bush that we need the military in here NOW. The Active Duty Armed Forces. Mr. President, we are losing this city. I don't care what you're hearing on the news. The city is being lost. It is the law of the jungle down here. The command and control structure here is barely functioning. I'm not sure it's anyone's fault -- I'm not sure it could be any other way at this point. We need the kind of logistical support and infrastructure only the Active Duty military can provide. The hospitals are in dire straights. The police barely have any capabilities at this point. The National Guard is doing their best, but the situation is not being contained. I'm here to help in anyway I can, but my capabilities are limited and dropping. Please get the military here to maintain order before this city is lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even scarier this quote from this article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9150429/):

[ QUOTE ]
"This is the worst case," Hugh B. Kaufman, a senior policy analyst at the Environmental Protection Agency, said of the toxic stew that contaminates New Orleans. "There is not enough money in the gross national product of the United States to dispose of the amount of hazardous material in the area."

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces McGee
09-01-2005, 03:26 PM
who is this guy?

-McGee

swede123
09-01-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
directNIC Press Release - Hurricane Katrina

Intercosmos Media Group, Inc. wants to thank all of its directNIC.com customers for the overwhelming support and inquiries into our wellbeing.

We are based in New Orleans and located in a secure and dry skyscraper, where our datacenter has remained fully operational.

Our staff is safe and well -- some have been working around the clock in New Orleans to keep clients running smoothly, and other employees have left to safer locations to keep an eye on the network from afar.

We are pleased to announce that we haven't lost service once during this entire distaster, and we have three weeks of backup power secured, and more resources are on the way.

Additionally, backup options outside of New Orleans are being implemented as an added precaution.

Thank you for your support and know we are working hard to maintain our excellent services even during this castrophe.

Sincerely,

Sigmund J. Solares, J.D., M.B.A.
CEO
Intercosmos Media Group, Inc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently the guy writing this blog is one of the people in charge of keeping this datacenter safe and secure. Sounds like he's ex-military or something.

Swede

Uglyowl
09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Anyone have these?

There are live radio feeds for the National Guard comms and NOPD comms which have been circulating the web, and you can listen to the chaos and disarray for yourselves. I am not going to post the links, but I'm sure others have and will.

cbfair
09-01-2005, 04:57 PM
I found a link to one in one of the comments threads. Not too exciting...

I think it was the thread about who can host my pictures... nevermind.