PDA

View Full Version : Mike Matusow: More Than a Mouthful in cardplayer

Justin Smith
09-01-2005, 11:04 AM
It is hard to believe everything written in this This (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=14935&m_id=65571)
article..........If it is this man needs help

magithighs
09-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Not sure why, but I like matasow. Perhaps it's my fascination with tragic figures. I picked him to make the final table at this year's WSOP (one of my three famous player picks).

I was in the crowd watching when Matasow made it through the 2'nd last day and into the final day. On my way out I'm walking with Eric Siedel and John Juanda (they don't know me) and I mentioned I picked Matasow to make the final table. The look they both gave me was precious. It was an "are you f'ng crazy look", so they obviously have an inside look into this guy which I don't. But I still root for him.

Cheers
Magi

midas
09-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Great article - This guy is the poster child for degenerate gamblers. ESPN would never do a back-story piece like this on Mike for their broadcast - too depressing and the appeal of a poker player's life would be shattered.

Don't be surprised if Mike eats a bullet in the next 5 years.

Cooker
09-01-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't be surprised if Mike eats a bullet in the next 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still reserve the right to be surprised.

fnord_too
09-01-2005, 01:34 PM
I looked at the article list and saw none I wanted to read. I read that one because of this thread. Wow. That interview is surprisingly revealing and reinforces a lot of what I see the few times I get to play live.

09-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Great post. I lost it when I read the prison story and his friendship...buddies on inside not on the outside...entertaining stuff.

Do you think this guy was drunk or high/low when he did this? He seems awfully candid.

onegymrat
09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
The article was fascinating until I realized that it wasn't fiction, then I put the magazine down. Boxtree and I saw Matusow late last night at Commerce. We were eyeballing a NL game and he walks up to take a peek. Some young player with an accent hollers, "Hey, Mike Matusow, sit here at this table!" Mike glances at the chips at the table and says, "I don't play that cheap." Then the young player whips out a laptop and offers Mike to play online. Mike looked excited and then they huddle together at the screen.

Matsutow looked like he either woke up from a 24 hour nap, or he hads been homeless for a month. He looked a real mess. His too small old sports jersey that he wore didn't cover his too big gut that pertruded out. I could have never pictured this guy to be a winning player.

bernie
09-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't know. In reading this, I don't see 'degenerate' or 'addicted' as past tense for him the way he mentions it.

He is fun to watch and read about though.

b

09-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't understand the apparent contradiction that he does not value money yet is addicted to sports betting. I would have guessed that the excitement from high stakes sports betting would be on the money that was on the line. But, if money has no value to him, what's the rush. Or, why couldn't be bet fake money (or lower stakes) and get the same rush?

4thstreetpete
09-04-2005, 10:09 AM
great article. Matusow is nuts.

I do however agree with his statement "Online poker players are the worst poker players in the history of mankind."

jokerthief
09-04-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I do however agree with his statement "Online poker players are the worst poker players in the history of mankind."

[/ QUOTE ]

The consensus here is that online in tougher than B&M. Ex, 5/10 party is like 20/40 B&M. I only play online, what makes you believe this?

4thstreetpete
09-04-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The consensus here is that online in tougher than B&M. Ex, 5/10 party is like 20/40 B&M. I only play online, what makes you believe this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opinions like these are all subjective to one's personal experience. Factors like where you live, what limits you play etc.. It's my perception and an opinion only but apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this. I know the concensus is that online is tougher and the reasons for it are valid. I play both online and live and you'll find truly horrible players everywhere.

I have seen some of the worst plays I've ever seen pulled off online, some of them will just blow your mind. This doesn't happen just to the lower limits but on some of the higher limit tables as well which is even more mindboggling.
I have a theory as to why this is though I'm not sure how accurate that is. I feel that a lot of the players playing online on a whole are younger and a bit more tech savy. When you have younger players who haven't got too much experience with a lot of disposable income, they become more laggish and probably more aggressive. I could be way off base here, but it's just my general opinion that online players are godawful.

TStoneMBD
09-04-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MM: So, if it’s fifty-fifty, would you want to go in holding a made hand or needing to make a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol what a tool this guy is