PDA

View Full Version : Relatively New to limit Omaha8, some questions

09-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I recently decided that I should get better at more games, and want to pursue limit Omaha8. I used to play NL/PL a lot, but haven't played more than probably 3000 hands of limit in my life.

I'm not a newbie to the game of 8 or better, just unfamiliar with some of the intricacies of limit strategy. I've read up on some of the starting hand type advice lately, and while this seems simple enough, I am wondering if it is really that easy at the biggest games on Party/Stars. It would seem that all the solid regulars have read all that stuff too and playing as tight as the books suggest might expose me to a beating.

My instinct tells me to play looser and to raise with more varied holdings, but that may be because I have been playing a lot of shorthanded poker (Stud8, NL Hold-em, Stud) in the past year or so. I do not plan on jumping into short situations in limit Omaha8 right away because I don't want to learn how to run before I learn to walk so to speak.

On to an actual question: Are there enough fish in the middle limits online(10-20 to 30-60)for solid "ABC" Omaha8 to be profitable? If so, how profitable? Is 1 big bet per table per hour possible in the middle limits? By ABC I don't mean anything derrogatory- I mean, is it true that by playing high quality starters even in the 20-40 and 30-60 ring games online, you will have a significant edge and be able to show a profit over enough players to win money?

By the way I'm not trying to suggest that I can just stroll into the 20-40 on Party or the 30-60 on Stars and expect to win at a good rate (or even win at all), I'm just curious how tough these games are.

I've read the Super System 2 section on Omaha8 and also the Capeletti and Krieger books and am starting to get a good feel for the concepts, but I just wonder if I am going to encounter people playing on a whole other level if I step into these games. I'm in a strange spot here because I am a pretty experienced poker player in general (8years of play), I've just played less limit Omaha8 than I've played many of the others by a longshot. Anyway I appreciate the help. Thanks for reading.

Ironman
09-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Napoleon,

Here's my take on it.

Go where the fish are.

You are not going to find many players at those higher limits and certainly not many fish.

Limit O8 is pretty straight forward. So you can multi table several 3/6 games or 2/4 half kill games and do your fishing in a bigger pond.

Reduce your variance a the same time.

Dave

09-01-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure I could handle playing more than 6 tables, but let's say that I found I could actually play 8-12, what kind of $ per hour would be possible at 3-6? I've been doing pretty well playing NL HE, and while I want to learn a new game, I don't want my hourly rate to suffer too much, and that's why I figured I need to play fairly high.

Mr_J
09-01-2005, 10:49 AM
I doubt you could find a dozen 3/6 tables on the net. Playin 2 10max tables for 1.5bb/hr and 2 tables of 6max for 2bb/hr nets you around $63 an hr. You're gonna have trouble 8+ tabling without playing 6max, especially at 3/6. $100/hr+ should be doable 4-5 tabling 5/10.

Someone 4tabling 5/10 6max at 3bb/100 will get ~$100 an hr.

gergery
09-01-2005, 11:02 AM
try this
www.o8poker.com (http://www.o8poker.com)