PDA

View Full Version : WPT #4- Costa Rica- brief comments

Easy E
04-17-2003, 09:38 AM
1) Vince, unless I heard incorrectly, called a winning flush a straight (K on board paired up someone's hand, which is all that Vince was commenting on, along with 2 flush cards. No comments from EITHER announcer, other than "strong hand" on the flop, about how huge a hand the player had)
If I heard that wrong, someone correct me. If I was right, there was NO EXCUSE! The comments aren't added until later- REVIEW YOUR DAMN WORK!

2) Much tighter game in general than we've seen so far on the WPT. Some surprising laydowns, given what we've seen in the previous shows... but they were different players.
I wonder if non-poker heathen were bored? The trips Tens over Kings Full was dramatic, though.... and Vince and Mike ARE trying to add excitement to ordinary hands with their overly dramatic announcing.

2 part 2) We need some more drama from the players, as others have mentioned in previous threads! Not the most exciting television last night

3) Dewey T was NOT on tilt, he was making a great play following his TT. Get a clue!

Side note- Evidently the WPT is hearing us, got my first automated reply from my email to them yesterday.... not that they are going to ANSWER, of course....
... and I really didn't appreciated the pitching, but I'm not surprised:

"Thank you for contacting World Poker Tour through www.worldpokertour.com (http://www.worldpokertour.com)!

Due to the high volume of e-mails we receive, World Poker Tour cannot respond to each one individually. However, the WPT team reads every e-mail and appreciates your thoughts and interest in WPT.

If you are interested in purchasing WPT logo merchandise or a video / DVD of the TV shows, we will e-mail you when the WPT Store is open. If you requested a newsletter, we will add your name to the e-mailing list. If you are interested in sponsorship or advertising or have comments about the show, we will forward your e-mail to our marketing and production teams.

Meanwhile, please check out our FAQ section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Thank you for visiting www.worldpokertour.com (http://www.worldpokertour.com)! Be sure to tune in to World Poker Tour airing weekly on Travel Channel"

pudley4
04-17-2003, 09:55 AM
Was I hallucinating or did anyone else see this? There was one hand where the flop contained 2 spades (including the Qs) but the display in the corner of the screen showed the Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif !!!

Completely and totally inexcusable.

RiverMel
04-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Completely and totally inexcusable.

You're absolutely right--it's this kind of mistake that causes untold human suffering.

coolhandkuhn
04-17-2003, 10:55 AM
I have found watching the show on mute to be a far better experience. I am not overly found of announcers for any type of event, be it football, basketball, golf, etc... but Vince makes me want to take a brick and bash my own head in, just so I don't have to process the inane babble that is coming out of his mouth. He's the Bill Walton of Poker commentating. Still, it's better than nothing (though by how much is up for debate).

Vehn
04-17-2003, 11:55 AM
There was a few graphics errors. Surprised it wasn't caught in editing. A few general comments from me since I haven't posted about it before:

Vince has to go. Why have an announcer who knows nothing about what he's announcing and clearly has no announcing skills? Dennis Miller mark 2. Less Vince more Shana.

Graphics and production is good (before last night) but really needs to have the size of the blinds and more importantly the player's stack sizes on it. When Dewey moved in on junk the casual viewer had no idea why, Mike tried to explain but people need to see for themselves.

I would love to see a segment about poker in the "real" world or at least mention to the audience that you can go play cash game texas hold'em in public cardrooms all across the country.

Wonder how many times the prize pool has already been chopped by the beginning of the second hour.

Wonder why there hasn't been any mention of deals or the fact that tournament chips/"money" isn't actual dollar amounts (even though that should be obvious).

Wonder if one of those big stacks of Costa Rican currency would buy me a pack of smokes and a beef jerky in the US.

Wonder how many other people shuddered when Luis was talking about seducing a beautiful woman.

Wonder how many people chip dumped to Luis to get him to the final table.

Easy E
04-17-2003, 12:59 PM
"Vince has to go. "
I'll go with- "vince has to improve dramatically, or the next poker game he's in will be his last"

"Graphics and production is good (before last night) but really needs to have the size of the blinds and more importantly the player's stack sizes on it. "
Also, number of hands played, more obvious about where the button is...

"When Dewey moved in on junk the casual viewer had no idea why, Mike tried to explain but people need to see for themselves."- agreed, said something like this in first WPT show post

"I would love to see a segment about poker in the "real" world or at least mention to the audience that you can go play cash game texas hold'em in public cardrooms all across the country."
And satellites... and other poker games, especially low-limit ones. Let's start the feeder process!

"Wonder how many times the prize pool has already been chopped by the beginning of the second hour."
I was wondering about that myself- not ONE deal mentioned in 4 shows? Is there a WPT prohibition on deal-making, or just in acknowledging it?

"Wonder why there hasn't been any mention of deals"
Because, with all of the Kathy Liebert "million dollar woman" marketing, they're not touching this with a 10-foot pole

"or the fact that tournament chips/"money" isn't actual dollar amounts (even though that should be obvious)."
yeah, though weren't the tournament chips close to 1:1 last night? I didn't figure it out on the fly, but they sounded close.

"Wonder how many other people shuddered when Luis was talking about seducing a beautiful woman."
Hey, the way he throws around money, they're probably drawn to him like flies!

"Wonder how many people chip dumped to Luis to get him to the final table. "
No, see the "beautiful woman" answer.. applies here too.

RiverMel
04-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Because, with all of the Kathy Liebert "million dollar woman" marketing, they're not touching this with a 10-foot pole

What does this mean? Was Kathy involved in a deal and therefore didn't really take home $1,000,000? (And then PartyPoker didn't publicize the deal or something?)

Inthacup
04-17-2003, 01:55 PM
She did make a deal. If you notice, they refer to her as "the first woman to win a Million Dollar first prize". Or something like that. They never say she actually won $1,000,000. They just say she won the million dollar first prize. No one was shady about it. At the tournament, they remaining players were allowed to go in private and talk about making a deal.

TimTimSalabim
04-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Was Phil H. involved? Because, he sure seemed pissed about not winning.

Porcupine
04-17-2003, 06:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
3) Dewey T was NOT on tilt, he was making a great play following his TT. Get a clue!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was annoyed with that call of "Dewey being on tilt" as well. I was talking to a (non-poker playing) buddy about the show during that had to explain why I didn't think Dewey was on tilt at all, but he was playing off his (probably bolstered by that laydown) tight image.

I think this was another example of where they try too hard to get a lot of poker lingo into the commentary. It usually seems forced when Vince (I think) says "xxxx first to speak".

TimTimSalabim
04-17-2003, 08:02 PM
How did they know he was making great laydowns? He didn't show them the TT, right? But probably you're right, he still had a pretty tight image and he made a move based on that.

I think laying down the TT is probably correct in that spot, given that he figures he's better than the other players and can outplay them later. Something that did not come up in the commentary, perhaps they didn't want to insult Luis et al.

johnb
04-17-2003, 08:09 PM
the obvious choice is Cyclona the woman spotlighted in the 2nd hour last night. Especially if she continues to wear those plunging tops.

Lets see...
1) Successful business woman
2) Loves to travel and play poker.
3) Built like a brick house.

God I love the women here in Texas.

s_teiger
04-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Did anyone notice when, I don't have any specifics, but someone raises all in on a bluff preflop and somebody calls with Aces. The aces hold up and at the end Vince Van Patten says "well played hand." I'm thinking to myself "yeah, that was a really difficult call."

Bob T.
04-18-2003, 12:53 AM
He's the Bill Walton of Poker commentating. Still, it's better than nothing (though by how much is up for debate).

Bill Walton. Ouch. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I think though, that if you watch it with the mute on, you have found that nothing is better than what you would hear, right?

Inthacup
04-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Vince does stuff like that. He also says "CAN HE DO IT??" when talking about a weaker hand outdrawing a stronger hand. The players have already done all they can when they're all in, it's the cards doing it all after that. Well, the dealer does a little work too.

Porcupine
04-18-2003, 11:11 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
How did they know he was making great laydowns? He didn't show them the TT, right? But probably you're right, he still had a pretty tight image and he made a move based on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't show the TT, but did seem to have a tight image. I forget exactly how the hand played out, but even without him showing, I felt the players got the impression he was laying down a decent hand - unless he was acting:)

Wasn't Dewey somewhat short stacked at the time? That plus, as you said, he probably felt he could outplay the other players, there is no reason to put his chips in by calling with TT. I think we all agree, this laydown isn't going to put him on tilt.