PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad year for the country? or yourself?

wonderwes
09-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Ok, random thought here. See if the OOT consensus agrees. What a difference a week makes. Katrina turns into a small storm into one of the worst U.S. natural disasters. Gas prices keep going higher than the sky, and the world political front seems to where many things are going bad. (Iraq, israel, etc)

I was just curious if any else is having a bad year. The economy seems do be doing ok, and the job market seems to at least be holding. However it seems people are facing harder economic hardships, and you look at all the devistation that happen to all the people in New Orleans.

For some reason it seems the majority of people I come across, people just seem more stressed and worried about a numerous amount of local/nationwide factors. Its just a general observation by talking and interacting with many people it just seems more people are on edge. Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else had any comments on that or noticed anything similar.

Maybe its just the Texas heat has just sunk into my head and I have gone nuts. Anyways, my rabbling is done, return back to your daily routine.

Dynasty
09-01-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...the world political front seems to where many things are going bad. (Iraq)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop believing the hype. A year ago Iraq didn't have publicly elected leaders and weren't preparing for a referendum on a new Constitution. Despite widely reported problems, things are better.

sirio11
09-01-2005, 05:29 AM
Is the country better off than 5-6 years ago?

Are you better off than 5-6 years ago?

jakethebake
09-01-2005, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and the world political front seems to where many things are going bad. (Iraq, israel, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Things are going bad in the middle east this year? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

daveymck
09-01-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...the world political front seems to where many things are going bad. (Iraq)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop believing the hype. A year ago Iraq didn't have publicly elected leaders and weren't preparing for a referendum on a new Constitution. Despite widely reported problems, things are better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If possibly being on the brink of civil war and car bombs going off daily is better then maybe they are, the 1,000 people killed yesterday probably dont agree with that. I suspect that currently the average Iraqi is currently worse off than they were under Saddam but hopefully it is just transitional.

Some interesting reading here A Day in Iraq (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/middle_east/2005/day_in_iraq/default.stm)

However in the scheme of world politics it has no real impact, the middle east in part seems to be settling down a bit apart form the odd bit of posturing from Iran.

CCass
09-01-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and Yes.

jokerthief
09-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm finding that hurricane Katrina is affecting me more than I thought it would. The fact that NO could never be the same again is very depressing.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes to both.

Broken Glass Can
09-01-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm finding that hurricane Katrina is affecting me more than I thought it would. The fact that NO could never be the same again is very depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what so many said about NYC after 9/11. Now, four years later, so many don't care and are ready to surrender in the war against terrorism. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif