PDA

View Full Version : Definately Not a Dog Post

09-01-2005, 03:07 AM
Take into consideration the recent tradegy in New Orleans. You have two choices.

Choice 1- Katrina kills one person, causes absolutely no damage economically (cost is 0 dollars to the economy)

Choice 2- Katrina kills no one but causes 25 billion dollars of damage.

Which one would you choose and why?

David Sklansky
09-01-2005, 04:00 AM
At the moment the US government considers the value of an American life to be about 3 mil.

A good argument that you have to let the guy die is that if this happenned hundreds of times the US would be penniless and everyone would now die.

Non_Comformist
09-01-2005, 04:02 AM
It entirely depends on how the person was selected.

If I got to choose then absolutely the person dies

If it was random but nobody I liked could be choosen then the person dies

If it was possible for someone I liked to be picked then no, the damage

09-01-2005, 04:13 AM
I don't feel qualified to answer this question. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Hmmmm.....
Shooby

09-01-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At the moment the US government considers the value of an American life to be about 3 mil.

A good argument that you have to let the guy die is that if this happenned hundreds of times the US would be penniless and everyone would now die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well ,for the sake of my argument, lets just assume that this is a choice that only has to be made once. Keep in mind that hundreds of families will be homeless if the man/woman doesnt die. How can his/her sacrifice be justified to the normal person. Its not like these people wont be able to rebuild.

Piers
09-01-2005, 09:28 AM
If it were London (UK), I would choose for the guy to die and just hope it’s not me.

New Orleans, I think it’s hardly worth the effort of making a decision. But I think I would have to still have to choose 1.

09-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Decent change that causing 25 billions worth of dmg will result in at least collateral death no...not from the hurricane itself (food, homeless, epidemia, etc)

Oh well all in all I would RANDOMLY choose for one person to die (could be me, could be an old fart, or possibly someone that was going to kill themself anyway :P)

09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
So one US life is valued at 3,000,000 dollars?

25,000,000,000 dollars / 3,000,000 dollars per person = 8,333.333 persons

So i geuss only 8000 people could die and the 25 billion dollars in damages would still be considered a greater loss.