PDA

View Full Version : BIG SKY in Big Sandy, Montana

Zeno
04-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Circumstances are hard to predict - My older brother and family just moved to Big Sandy, Montana (pop. 750). Check out the fabulous town website Big Sandy, MT (http://www.bigsandymt.com/home_frameset.htm)

My brother loves it, as he is a crazy fly-fishing type guy. He has one fault - he is a Lutheran Pastor but I look past that. They want me to visit. So, I plan sometime in the near future to invade "Ray Zee's homeland". This is just a friendly notice to be prepared for my invasion. Details when I decide to head north, fishing gear in tow.

-Zeno

Ed I
04-17-2003, 03:23 AM
I don't know much about Big Sandy but Mt. is a great place for those who fly fish. It was the main reason I came here in the late 70s and I'm still not tired of chasing trout. Enjoy your stay. It looks like it may be a decent water yr.

scalf
04-17-2003, 07:19 AM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif just check out movie..a river ran thru it....father was a minister there too..lol..gl /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Ray Zee
04-17-2003, 10:13 AM
zeno, post if you are going to be in the glacier park area. we can meet up. fishing is good, but not easy, so be prepared to catch little if you dont work hard. i live about 3 hours drive from big sandy. big sandy is on the east side of the mountains in the flat land. farming and ranching country. the best fishing is on the west side in the mountain area of the state. but there is great fishing on the missouri river near where you will be. we are talking river trout fishing. in the lakes you can catch arm loads of pike and walleye around there. nothing is close, everything is a drive away.

MarkD
04-17-2003, 06:19 PM
It looks as if you are close to the Canadian border Ray? Around Highway 15? I'm not far, in Calgary, Alberta and getting bored. I've been thinking of taking a drive down to montana to get a coffee one of these weekends but haven't gotten that bored yet. I think it's around 4-5 hour drive, so not too bad.

Ray Zee
04-19-2003, 12:27 AM
yea, i am in the kalispell area. hiway 93 is close. you would come down and over thru browning or around and down thru crowsnest pass. then down thru eureka. about a 5 or 6 hour drive for you.
coffee is good down here. price one dollar american, 80 dollars canadian or so.:)

Zeno
04-19-2003, 03:25 AM
Thanks Ray. You confirmed what my brother said about the Missouri, some world class fishing in parts of it he was bragging about. He mentioned the Marias River also. Plus there is, I think, small stream fishing in the Bear Paw mts. to the east. Isn't this near where Chief Joseph and the Wallowa Indians surrendered? Anyway, I hope I can make it up sometime reasonably soon.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
04-20-2003, 12:59 AM
zeno, the marias isnt very good trout fishing mostly. its a slow moving warm river. the bear paw mountains are really just hills and have a few small steams but a few ponds which have big trout stocked in them.

chief joseph surrended a few miles north of the bear paws at what is now the chief joseph battle ground monument battlefield. this is where he made the famous saying--" from where the sun now stands i will fight no more forever" or something very similar.

the indians may have put a curse on me, as that is the place i poached a deer once,-- right near the sign for the battlefield. the old fart probably turned over in his grave.

the indians really did get a raw deal back then.

MarkD
04-21-2003, 12:50 AM
Hmm... sounds like it might be a good drive to do.

Yah, cashing in a cheque from Paradise in US dollars makes me feel rich everytime.