PDA

View Full Version : Bad time for a check-raise?

RiverMel
04-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Let me know what you think of this play.

L posts the small blind of $2.
B posts the big blind of $5.

P -- --
E -- --
L -- --
B -- --
M: -- --
R: Ah Qs

Pre-flop:

m folds. r raises to $10. p calls $10. e folds. l folds. b
folds.

Flop (board: Td 6d Qh):

r checks. p bets $5. r raises to $10. p calls $10.

Turn (board: Td 6d Qh Kh):

r bets $10. p raises to $20.
r calls $20.

River (board: Td 6d Qh Kh 8d):

r checks. p checks.

Showdown:

r shows Ah Qs.
r has Ah Qs Td Qh Kh: a pair of queens.
p shows 7s Ks.
p has Ks Td Qh Kh 8d: a pair of kings.

Hand #x Summary:

$3 is raked from a pot of $87.
p wins $84 with a pair of kings.

I was 'r'. My question is, wasn't this a pretty stupid time to be check-raising? I could have tried to push him out by betting, and he probably wouldn't have raised. At that point, I wouldn't have minded getting raised anyway, I would have 3-bet. Or, if he just calls, I don't commit an extra bet for when the king hits. (Although, it seems that maybe the check-raise scared him enough to check the river behind me--did I do the equivalent of getting a free card?)

bernie
04-17-2003, 10:27 AM
a c/r is a wee stronger than betting out. i think if he's calling youre c/r, hed have at least called your bet.

you may have been doomed to lose this hand regardless of your action.

fun game huh?

b

Tim W.
04-17-2003, 05:05 PM
River,
Bet the flop. Definitely. Forget the fancy stuff. Try to win it right there.

Louie Landale
04-17-2003, 07:26 PM
I don't approve of this hind-sight analysis, but lets go for it. The player has a paltry 3 outs against you in a relatively small pot. Getting 2-bets from him on the flop was VERY profitable for you, even considering the implied odds (two big bets) he gets when he snags it.

The problem with this check-raise is that it looks too suspicious to most players. You would bet heads-up if you didn't make a pair, so it looks odd when you don't bet. However, at this level I guess it doesn't matter since they don't notice.

- Louie

Tim W.
04-18-2003, 08:15 AM
"However, at this level I guess it doesn't matter since they don't notice."

Your absolutely right. Which is why at this level, I try to keep it pretty straight forward.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-18-2003, 08:46 AM
He called your check-raise with 1 overcard. You should be happy. In the same situation, I would probably check-call the turn when the K hits, planning to lead out on the river if it's a diamond(assuming he doesn't check behind on the turn, in which case I'd lead out on the river if a diamond doesn't fall).

To me this seems like a logical strategy, based on 2 questions; him asking what you checkraised with, and you asking what he called the checkraise with. In this case, you'd lose less if he makes the flush, and give him the chance to fold the winner in the scenario that actually developed.