PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't Have Played AK This Way Til I Read The Arieh Post

KramerTM
09-01-2005, 12:48 AM
Even though I know this is weak tight, I feel like it's almost 50/50 that I either win a decent amount of chips here or lose most of stack. Way to early to be gambling with hands like this.

Here is the Arieh post that I am referring to:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3275267&page=3&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=2#Post3281388

It basically talks about not raising with AK from EP in a tournament or NL game.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1000)
UTG (t1195)
UTG+1 (t505)
UTG+2 (t910)
MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t870)
MP3 (t1595)
CO (t970)
Button (t970)
Hero (t985)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t57.50) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t120</font>, Hero folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t60.

Just to be clear, I was going to raise what I thought was a weak bet until MP2 did. After that, I felt a fold was the best play.

TheBlueMonster
09-01-2005, 01:08 AM
I honestly can't see a fold being the best play. Also, what tourney was this (as in what buy in)?

KramerTM
09-01-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly can't see a fold being the best play. Also, what tourney was this (as in what buy in)?

[/ QUOTE ]

10+1 Super Satellite to the 100+0 Satellite to the Bellagio WPT Event. Empire.

0evg0
09-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Nope, don't like it one bit.

KramerTM
09-01-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nope, don't like it one bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your suggested play? What you said helps me not at all.

0evg0
09-01-2005, 01:28 AM
You're playing a $10 satellite, and I can almost guarantee you that at least one of those EP limpers you are respecting:

a) have/has Ax or Kx
b) are/is weaker post-flop than you are

Re-read the thread you linked. Basically everyone there was in agreement that this is a sound strategy where you are facing semi-known commodities in that you can likely put the EP limpers on some form of pair - or more specifically, a limit that demands at least some sort of respect towards your opponents play and possible holdings. In a $10 donk satellite on Empire you want to get as many chips in the pot possible when you have the best hand (you do), and when you are the best post-flop player (I'm guessing you are). This more than offsets the disadvantage of being OOP in my opinion.

I raise to 80 PF.

LethalRose
09-01-2005, 01:30 AM
not raising AK can be a smart move in the right NL cash game. but in an MTT its just plan stupid, imo.

Jurollo
09-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Raise preflop, limit the field.

On flop bet out 1/2 - 2/3 of the pot and see where your opponents are, if they raise all in then fold if not proceed with caution on the turn. However, this early in that low a buy in I am betting flop, folding to an all in and leading all in an non club on the turn and likely putting a feeler bet out there if a club hits.
~Justin

betgo
09-01-2005, 01:43 AM
I think you need to raise with AK at two limpers from the SB, whatever Josh Arieh says. Against one early position limper, I could see completing. Plus, you are playing weak players who may be limping with junk and likely with hands AK dominates. I would charge them to see a flop.

From early position, you can limp with AK, AQ, or AJ and decide whether to call, fold or limpraise depending on the action.

Josh Arieh does have a point about not building the pot from early position or the blinds.

EverettKings
09-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Read bkholdem's response in that thread you linked to.

In a $10 satellite your number one goal is to get people to commit lots of chips with worse and frequently dominated hands. This is simple to do in a small buyin game: just raise with your premiums. Pop it to 90 or so. If called you still have enough chips to play poker.

Keep in mind that it is MUCH harder to get paid off on a big hand when the pot isn't juiced preflop. In a limped pot, they only like to call big bets if they make a big hand. However if they make a decent-to-good hand in a raised pot, they will gladly call your 200 chip bets and you can get your full paycheck.

They also are surprisingly well behaved in folding to continuation bets with total air. And if they won't go away when your AK whiffs, you can get out before the pot gets really big. But if you hit and they stay in, then you pump that sucker for all you're worth.

Happy fishing.

Kings