PDA

View Full Version : A few PLO8 hands, your thoughts?

Nukid
08-31-2005, 11:54 PM
A few PLO8 hands that I was wondering about.

First one PLO8 5-10 blinds, I have around $1000. UTG folds, UTG+1 (800) limps I have A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and I pot ($45). Cut-off (370) calls and limper calls. Pot size 147 after rake.
I am 99% comfortable with my raise here, but if anyone disagrees with me I'd like to know why.

Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif, not my dream flop, but it's also a flop that's unlikely to make many people happy. After the first limper checks, I bet out $125, second limper calls (not good), and first limper folds. Pot size 297.
Turn comes the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, so now I have an over pair, nut low draw with protection and nut flush draw. But that completes the most obvious draw. The other player only has 200 in chips. Do you put him all in, check and call, or check and fold? I think my play of check and call was the weekest of all three, but I'd like other opinions.

Second hand 10-20 PLO8, I have around 2000 in chips and am in the big blind. 4 limpers and a small blind completes to me with the ugly looking Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check behind and the flop comes T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, which gives me a monster draw, and is much less likely to hit people in O8 than in regular Omaha. I figure I have a decent chance of picking it up, and don't really mind if anyone calls, So I bet pot (117) 1 fold and the second guy pots it back at me (468) everyone folds, and he has 350 behind. What's my play? I don't think folding is an option, although I'm willing to listen to arguments to the contrary. Should I push call or fold? And if I call what should I do on the turn if (1) I make the nuts, (2) I make the non nuts, but still a straight (Q or J), (3) the board blanks, or (4) the board pairs? Does the fact that this is 08, and I have a crappy back door low also affect the decision?

Third hand. Heads up 5-10 PLO8. Player (700) limps. I check behind with J /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif Pot size 19. Flop comes J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif he leads out 19, I make it 76, he makes it 237, and I push. Was this too aggressive? I figure that I have two cards which he might want to see, which makes me think he is less likely to make his draw, and there's always the possibility that he is pushing a lower set, and I feel that if a scary card comes on the turn, he'll bet me off even if he misses, but he might fold if I boat up. Is this the right way to look at it?

Ribbo
09-01-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A few PLO8 hands that I was wondering about.

First one PLO8 5-10 blinds, I have around $1000. UTG folds, UTG+1 (800) limps I have A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and I pot ($45). Cut-off (370) calls and limper calls. Pot size 147 after rake.
I am 99% comfortable with my raise here, but if anyone disagrees with me I'd like to know why.

Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif, not my dream flop, but it's also a flop that's unlikely to make many people happy. After the first limper checks, I bet out $125, second limper calls (not good), and first limper folds. Pot size 297.
Turn comes the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, so now I have an over pair, nut low draw with protection and nut flush draw. But that completes the most obvious draw. The other player only has 200 in chips. Do you put him all in, check and call, or check and fold? I think my play of check and call was the weekest of all three, but I'd like other opinions.

Second hand 10-20 PLO8, I have around 2000 in chips and am in the big blind. 4 limpers and a small blind completes to me with the ugly looking Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check behind and the flop comes T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, which gives me a monster draw, and is much less likely to hit people in O8 than in regular Omaha. I figure I have a decent chance of picking it up, and don't really mind if anyone calls, So I bet pot (117) 1 fold and the second guy pots it back at me (468) everyone folds, and he has 350 behind. What's my play? I don't think folding is an option, although I'm willing to listen to arguments to the contrary. Should I push call or fold? And if I call what should I do on the turn if (1) I make the nuts, (2) I make the non nuts, but still a straight (Q or J), (3) the board blanks, or (4) the board pairs? Does the fact that this is 08, and I have a crappy back door low also affect the decision?

Third hand. Heads up 5-10 PLO8. Player (700) limps. I check behind with J /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif Pot size 19. Flop comes J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif he leads out 19, I make it 76, he makes it 237, and I push. Was this too aggressive? I figure that I have two cards which he might want to see, which makes me think he is less likely to make his draw, and there's always the possibility that he is pushing a lower set, and I feel that if a scary card comes on the turn, he'll bet me off even if he misses, but he might fold if I boat up. Is this the right way to look at it?

[/ QUOTE ]
QJ87, reraise and put a ton of pressure on him. He may have middle set and contemplate folding, if not, you're pretty much coin flipping, yes the 87 helps your hand also.
As for the JJ, you could very well be underdog on the flop. A hand like A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif34 has a huge reason to shove that flop. Wait until the turn to shove, at which point the odds change in your favour. If the guy has middle set then give yourself a high five.

Spellmen
09-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Hand1 I just set him in. You are going to call if you check and he pushes anyway, so you might as well put some pressure on him if he has something has a weak high like top and bottom pair that is beating you right now

neuroman
09-01-2005, 05:25 PM
AAxx hand you should push on the turn. Scoop potential plus the possibility of a fold is what makes this an enticing play.

The QJ87 hand is an easy push, I think. Your draw is a 20 outer to the nut high.

JJxx, I call the flop bet and re-evaluate on the turn.