PDA

View Full Version : How Is My Check-Raise Here?

grandgnu
08-31-2005, 11:45 PM
7 players left
Blinds 15/30

Seat 1: Caller (650)
Seat 2: (1430)
Seat 3: SMALL BLIND (2615)
Seat 5: HERO (big blind) (680)
Seat 6: UTG (795)
Seat 8: (965)
Seat 10: DONK (865)

Dealt to Hero: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG limps for 30
DONK raises to 90
Caller calls 90
Hero calls 90
UTG folds

Three to the flop (pot is 315)

7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero Checks
DONK bets 90 (pot 405)
Caller folds
Hero Raises to 250 (pot 655)
DONK pushes all-in (pot 995)
Hero Calls all-in for 340 chips

DONK shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
River: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Did I not check-raise him for enough chips? I figured I was ahead and knew with his aggressive tendencies he would bet out, but I didn't expect him to push with such a weak holding (not that I minded, and suckouts happen, that's poker, just looking to see if I raised him correctly)

grandgnu
09-01-2005, 08:53 AM
anyone?

Karak567
09-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Is this a well-disguised bad beat post?

That said, I fold preflop I think but I am not sure.

I'm pretty sure I am done with this flop if I meet aggression.

se2schul
09-01-2005, 08:58 AM
On the flop, the pot is half your stack. I'd push the flop and try to take it down there with no showdown. I don't think your hand is strong enough for a c/r. If no one bet, you're giving a free turn card for someone with 2 overs to get ahead of you. Push and take down the pot there.

Karak567
09-01-2005, 09:00 AM
all in on the flop is also an option too

I still think this is just a bad beat post :-P

bennies
09-01-2005, 09:01 AM
I like the check-raise, I think you are right insinuating that the amount is a bit small, maybe 300-350 is the right prize to offer?

(Then again, if this donk has an agro tendancy to push over "weak" checkraises then your amount is perfect...)

bennies
09-01-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like your overpair against a donk on a rag rainbow flop?

09-01-2005, 09:06 AM
If it'd cost you more than 10% of your stack to see the flop with a small pair, either fold or push--that's a good rule to follow. Given that you get to the flop, you probably should push, as your hand is vulnerable. Given that you check, you probably should've pushed over the top. But, it looks like this was going to happen no matter what. Bad beat. Sucks.

fnord_too
09-01-2005, 09:11 AM
If I check raise there, I push. Your c/r is too low, and leaves villain the illusion of folding equity. You don't want a call, and you are definitely committed to the hand, so just shove. I'm think a c/r is ok there, though maybe not optimal with the blinds so low. Your stack size is awkward here.

CatfishKing
09-01-2005, 09:13 AM
I would either open push the flop or c/r all in

Karak567
09-01-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of people in this pot for me to be comfortable with a medium overpair.

I think a push or a fold are both options.

bennies
09-01-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of people in this pot for me to be comfortable with a medium overpair.

I think a push or a fold are both options.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true he bet into two people which shows some strenght. I still assume we are ahead most of the time though (the other guy folded already).

2Fast2Furious
09-01-2005, 10:03 AM
it does seem to be a pseudo bad-beat post but I think you push on the flop here - but donk might call with anything anyway right so you're playing with fire with your middle pp

grandgnu
09-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Everything went better than I had hoped actually. I mean, how can you not love getting all the money in as a 78% favorite to win the hand?

These sit n' go's you only start with 800 chips, so there isn't a heck of a lot of room to manuever. I had already seen this donk show down some hands, so I knew he was "donkish"

His bet I figured for a weak continuation/probe type bet, so I took advantage of the situation and check-raised (I assumed he would bet given his pre-flop action, and I was correct, otherwise I would have come out firing myself if I felt it would get checked around)

Once I check-raised and he pushed, I was getting pretty nice pot odds to commit the rest of my stack.

I don't like folding in this spot, because it's one of the best flops for a hand like mine. And I don't like a smooth-call, because I'm not charging my opponent anything to draw out on me, and I'm leaving myself out of position.

Let's say I just smooth-called there. When the board pairs 5's on the turn, I'm guessing the majority of you would push right there (I certainly would) not figuring my opponent for an A/5 hand. So I believe the check-raise was correct, but if I was going to check-raise for more chips than I did, than those of you who mentioned the push would be correct about that.

Hornacek
09-01-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I still think this is just a bad beat post :-P

[/ QUOTE ]