PDA

View Full Version : Time to make a move on the Bubble w/ A9o

Kirkrrr
08-31-2005, 11:21 PM
I thought this hand was fairly interesting, and I'm curious what everyone else will think. 10$ buy-in on Stars.
Villain is extremely aggressive and stealing blinds often. Been caught betting with nothing sensing weakness. A few orbits ago he raised 2xBB (standard raise) UTG, I re-raised in CO /w 3,4o after everyone folded to me, he pushed all-in, I folded. Now there's 70 left, 63 get paid.
On to the hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t25841)
MP2 (t11195)
MP3 (t23631)
CO (t6090)
Hero (t9150)
SB (t13145)
BB (t4744)
UTG (t11412)
UTG+1 (Villain) (t20587)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 (Villain) raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t9100</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Villain...

Anything I missed? Thoughts or comments?
One thing I did miss: t50 ante, so it's t1650 pre-flop. Blinds go up again in about 10 mins or so, so I was not in danger of getting blinded out right that second.

Kirk

Augster
08-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Maybe I'm weak-tight, but with a bunch of free looks coming up, on the bubble, after a raise, I'm most likely laying down A9os in that spot.

I guess I'd be looking for a better spot to stack in the next two orbits. Hopefully, I'd be in the money in the next 20 hands doing nothing.

Kirkrrr
09-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Thing is, I really don't care about being in the money. My goal is at least the final table. That's one of the reasons I did it - figured enough people are playing to get into the money that he may not want to risk losing half his stack on anything but a premium hand.

Oh, it wasn't the $10, it was the $30+3 buy-in tourney. I don't know where the $10 came from.

Anyone else have any comments?
Kirk

scal78
09-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Was he raising consistently like this in early position? Or were his raises coming mostly from middle to late position?

If he were raising in early position and you've seen him show down rags, then yes, I think a push is a good move. Otherwise, you're probably behind, and I'd wait for a better spot

betgo
09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
I don't like reraising an early position raiser with A9o. If he has any standard early position raising hand, you are a 3-1 dog. He is only going to call if he has something, and you will be lucky to see Kx or a small pair. Better to make this move with a suited gapper or something. On the other hand, rerasing a loose bubble raiser is generally a real good idea.

betgo
09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few orbits ago he raised 2xBB (standard raise) UTG, I re-raised in CO /w 3,4o after everyone folded to me, he pushed all-in, I folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another problem. Villain knows you will make a move with junk against his raises. Villain pushed before, so he probably had something and wasn't afraid. He probably sees you as another LAG. He is getting about 2-1 pot odds to call. If he has any playable hand, he will proabably call. Even is he doesn't have an early position raising hand, he is probably not raising from early position with junk. You have some pot odds and some folding equity and A9o may be best. The chance that you are dominated in pretty high, so I think this push may be EV-.

09-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I'd wait for a better spot.. at your chip stack right now compared to the blinds.. this is the point where I'm just trying to conserve my chips and wait for a legitimate hand where I can double up.. Plus your starting hand might be dominated..

I would MUCH rather do this with something like 6-8 then A-9 because if he has an Ace he's surely to have me dominated.. and an AK/AK/AJ is a definite possibility..

I lay this one down, even though your read might be correct, aggressive players make their money when they do have a hand and others pay them off because of their image

bruce
09-01-2005, 10:15 PM
I prefer being the original pusher. Reraising the big stack
is a risky play. There's a good likelyhood he will call and if he does call it's very unlilely you are a big favorite unless you are against Ace small. I would wait
for a better spot where I can open the pot.

Bruce

Kirkrrr
09-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Okay, looks like we have a cencensus: BAD MOVE.
He had QQ, they held up. Oh, and he called.
However, I still think that against a very aggressive player, A9o isn't that bad. His hand range was anything from Ax to 67s, with something like KQo a definite possibility.
I KNOW that in general A-high isn't what you want going up against someone who just raised UTG. However, I thought I had a good read and decided to go with it. The fact that we were on the bubble also influenced my decision, as that is the time when everyone is the most risk-averse at any point in the tourney.

Thanks for your comments,
Kirk

EverettKings
09-01-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I still think that against a very aggressive player, A9o isn't that bad. His hand range was anything from Ax to 67s, with something like KQo a definite possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree on both points. I think an EP 3x raise (unless he's been seen to do this with garbage) is at least a decent hand. I'd say his range is something like AT+ KJ+ 77+, a range that you don't really wanna mess with right now. Sure, he's LAG, but I bet he opens a LOT more pots from the button and LP than EP. Gotta respect that. Oh, and theres a handful of people behind you that could wakeup with a hand.

Kings