PDA

View Full Version : Cost of OPEC to produce a barrel of oil...

krazyace5
08-31-2005, 11:05 PM
$4, Then they sell it on the open market for $70!?!

Talk about a scam....

Dynasty
08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
Capitalism rocks. Good for them.

krazyace5
08-31-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Monopolies rock...

Warik
08-31-2005, 11:09 PM
I seriously doubt it only costs them $4 to produce a barrel.

However, I also even MORE seriously doubt $70 is an even remotely fair price. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sponger15SB
08-31-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much nothing compared to a lot of products.

Stuff like perfume and lipstick costs like 5 cents to make.

Arnfinn Madsen
08-31-2005, 11:15 PM
A lot of the oil on the world market has a considerable lower production cost (about 50c pr barrel) while some is at above $10 per barrel.

Voltron87
yeah this whole world free market economy is total [censored] the USA over. were seriously hemorraging cash here.

maybe if we didnt use oil in such a wasteful fashion...

mason55
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least with those you can pretend you are paying someone extra to design it for you.

jakethebake
08-31-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I also even MORE seriously doubt $70 is an even remotely fair price. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

if someone pays it, it's fair.

mason55
08-31-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact I would maintain that we are ripping OPEC off. If there are gas shortages in certain areas that means that demand is outpacing supply and prices should be raised.

Voltron87
08-31-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jake is basically right. although if there was a monopoly on water and a business were letting people die of dehydration and jacking water up to a G a gallon, i would say that was unethical. all stupid hypotheticals aside, hes right.

people tend to forget, if the USA didnt buy so much oil from the saudis their tents would be falling apart. the saudis are as dependent on our $$ as we are on their oil, if the USA smartened up and used oil more efficiently we would be in much better shape. right now the saudis basically empty tankers of oil at us shores, fill it up with 100 dollar bills and repeat. and we use more and more oil every year.

krazyace5
08-31-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually diamonds are alot like this to, plentiful but marketed as rare....

sfer
08-31-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Monopolies rock...

[/ QUOTE ]

OPEC isn't a monopoly.

LethalRose
08-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Microprocessors cost on average 40 cents. Most of your money goes to research and advertising.

Cancer Merchant
08-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Two words: bottled water.

Sponger15SB
09-01-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Monopolies rock...

[/ QUOTE ]

OPEC isn't a monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just say "OPEC is actually a cartel"

utmt40
09-01-2005, 12:05 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/utmt40/gasleg.gif
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/utmt40/gas.gif

Jules22
09-01-2005, 12:41 AM
lol!!! nice cartoons

morello
09-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Where is your $4 figure coming from? I highly doubt it is accurate.

wonderwes
09-01-2005, 01:16 AM
We are the leader in SUV's. When you come to think of all the major countries and their cars, no one comes close to us in SUV/citizen ownership. Back in the 80's people wanted big cars so the mini-van became the new thing. In the early 90's all these home moms (sexist, I know) wanted a big car but didn't want to drive a mini-van. Answer? The craze of SUV's sales goes on the rise. Look how many car makers made SUV's back them. Ford had a bronco, Chevy had the suburban, and there were a few other car companies in the mix. Now every single auto maker has one if not multiple SUV models.

We have been wasting gas for decades now. Oh yeah, airline flights are only going to cost more now.

Voltron87
09-01-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure its accurate. however it doesnt factor in other economic costs, the fixed costs of research, building the oil rig/driller, the infrastructure to move the oil. but once thats all paid for it is not expensive to get more oil out of the ground.

and not all oil is created equal. some is next to impossible to get out of the ground. people have this idea that oil sits in lakes underground, but what actually happens is that is drained up out of rocks and solid ground, using pressure and drilling tools. some is easier to get out, there is a natural force, and in some cases it is extremely difficult and would cost more.

morello
09-01-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure its accurate. however it doesnt factor in other economic costs, the fixed costs of research, building the oil rig/driller, the infrastructure to move the oil

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it can't be accurate!

It's like saying "Intel charges $100 for a processor when it costs 30 cents to make!" While that may be true, they spend millions on these "other" costs (mostly research).

Not including them is silly, especially in an argument that's trying to claim an enormous markup is being made.

Kanchi
09-01-2005, 02:36 AM
Is this the year of peak oil /images/graemlins/shocked.gif?

Voltron87
09-01-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure its accurate. however it doesnt factor in other economic costs, the fixed costs of research, building the oil rig/driller, the infrastructure to move the oil

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it can't be accurate!

It's like saying "Intel charges $100 for a processor when it costs 30 cents to make!" While that may be true, they spend millions on these "other" costs (mostly research).

Not including them is silly, especially in an argument that's trying to claim an enormous markup is being made.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it is accurate. right now, they oil refinery in question could produce another barrel for 4$. (or whatever the marginal cost of a new one is)

youre right, but in this case your wrong. when the fixed costs have been covered, then it really does cost 4$ for another barrel. and from an economic standpoint what the investment group who started the oil refinery paid to set it up is moot. kind of like dead money in the pot.

krazyace5
09-01-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill O Reilly said that figure on the factor.

tonypaladino
09-01-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill O Reilly said that figure on the factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Spin Baby

Il_Mostro
09-01-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the year of peak oil ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably not. Though ASPO now says it was last year. But there is a lot of mixed signals... Mike Lynch is claiming we will see an unprecedent build-up in production-capability the coming 10 years.
But he also said,a year ago, that oil would be 30$ by now, so who knows who to trust.

Il_Mostro
09-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Sorta funny, but wildly inacurate. Oil is cheap cheap cheap.