PDA

View Full Version : How I think Prayer works

Non_Comformist
08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
I always see this same old arguement about whethor god answer's prayers and directly affects someone's life.

For most of my life I was religious and I would on occassion turn to prayer. However when I did need help I didn't pray for god to directly do something but rather I prayed for him to help me be at my very best.

For example when I was the starting pitcher I would take minute before the game to pray for god to help me stay relaxed and focused so that I could pitch the best game I possibly could.

Or if I faced a tough situation or something less critical like an exam I prayed for him to help me think clearly or to help me remember the things that I had studied.

And the truth is that most times I did feel comfort and I felt like I was able to perform my best. Now obviously this doesn't take the presence of a supreme god but I would think that if there is a god and he does answer prayers that this would be the method employed.

so for example when the woman was hanging on to tree while the flood tried to sweep her away, the appropraite prayer may be to help her maintain her strength and will to survive and to calm her. Which is much different from say praying that the hurricaine never struck in the first place or to prevent other disaster/death from happening.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 10:51 PM
I would recommend taking a course in psychology if you're interested in the mental and physical effects of self-reassurance.

For some people, praying to a God/s has tangible beneficial effects on their stress level, confidence, and ability to deal with difficult situations. For others, merely telling themselves they are capable is enough for the same effects.

If you're arguing that prayer is actually an exercise in self-reassurance, I'd agree with you- but I think you're missing the few steps in logic that would get you to that conclusion.

Non_Comformist
08-31-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend taking a course in psychology if you're interested in the mental and physical affects of self-reassurance.

For some people, praying to a God/s has tangible beneficial effects on their stress level, confidence, and ability to deal with difficult situations. For others, merely telling themselves they are capable is enough for the same effects.

If you're arguing that prayer is actually an exercise in self-reassurance, I'd agree with you- but I think you're missing the few steps in logic that would get you to that conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

you entirely missed the point of my post. Let's just say it was my fault and move on.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 10:59 PM
It's possible, but I don't think I did...

Non_Comformist
08-31-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm saying if there is a god and if he does answer prayers that is likely that the "help me do my best" are the types to be answered.

Thus to point out that god did not stop the hurricaine or whatever does nothing to prove or disprove whether he exists in the first place.

Additionally those believers who do pray for intervention type miracles are being silly.

Nowhere in my post was a statement about whether god does or does not exist, nor does it have anything to do with other explanations for any effects from praying. Are there other other possible and more reasonable explanations? Obviously which is why there is no point in covering them.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying if there is a god and if he does answer prayers that is likely that the "help me do my best" are the types to be answered.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this likely?

[ QUOTE ]
Are there other other possible and more reasonable explanations? Obviously which is why there is no point in covering them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the obvious, more reasonable explanation of "How prayer works" (self-reassurance) has no place to be covered, because it exists?

David Sklansky
08-31-2005, 11:47 PM
"Additionally those believers who do pray for intervention type miracles are being silly."

Why isn't it being silly to pray for anything?

Non_Comformist
08-31-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Additionally those believers who do pray for intervention type miracles are being silly."

Why isn't it being silly to pray for anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

for 2 reasons.

first and most obvious because if there is a god who does listen to prayers then knowing or believing this it would be silly to not take advantage of the opportunity.

I simply believe that if there is a god he does intervene in things like hurricaines or preventing you from dieing in plane crash but I could beleive that he is able and willing for lack of a better term "be all you can be"

Second. Without giving any consideration to whether this is a god or not, there does seem to be some belief or evidence that prayer can have a positive effect for some people. Even if this isn't the result of a "god" but rather simply the result of positive thinking and some gained confidence it would be silly for those who are able to reap these benefits to not do so.

David Sklansky
09-01-2005, 12:06 AM
"I simply believe that if there is a god he does intervene in things like hurricaines or preventing you from dieing in plane crash but I could beleive that he is able and willing for lack of a better term "be all you can be"

What actual evidence, other than words in a book, would lead you to believe that such a God is probable?

Non_Comformist
09-01-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I simply believe that if there is a god he does intervene in things like hurricaines or preventing you from dieing in plane crash but I could beleive that he is able and willing for lack of a better term "be all you can be"

What actual evidence, other than words in a book, would lead you to believe that such a God is probable?

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all the first sentence should read does not but I think that was obvious.

I don't think there is any evidence that would make the existance "probable" I would go so far as to say that there is no evidence which even makes it "reasonable"

This however does nothing for me personally to answer the question of whether or not god does exist.

Cooker
09-01-2005, 12:25 AM
I only pray for pocket Aces, and I do that every hand. Looking at my PT stats, it looks like God answers roughly 1 out of 221 prayers. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

09-01-2005, 10:30 AM
so it begins...the argument that never ends