PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Ruin Early with QQ

Angelic_Ace
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
When you get QQ at a 7-10 handed table, how do you play it in this sort of situation to avoid ruin?

This is a Party 20+2, Level 1, everyone has about their full chip stack of 800.

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

x folds.
x folds.
y calls [15].
z calls [15].
x folds.
x folds.
x folds.
Villain raises [90]. (BUTTON)
x folds. (SB)
Hero raises [235]. (BB)
y folds.
z folds.
Villain calls [160].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

Now what do you do if :

A) You check and Villain pushes
B) Continuation bet and Villain pushes

Or, do you just push on this flop, first to act?

Should I have just called the preflop raise to 90, and played the hand weak-tight? The villain ended up having KK and I busted out on this hand for a 10th place after I pushed on flop.

Shilly
08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm confused--are you in position or OOP?

If he pushes, I call, if he checks, I either push or make a bet so big I might as well have. If I'm check-raised, I'm calling (or pushing).

This is assuming that this is a low-limit SNG.

jt1
08-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Which level? What are the stack sizes? Post the specific hand, you'll get better responses and you'll learn more

Angelic_Ace
08-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Sorry about that, I added in all the pertinent information.

Freudian
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
My money is going in one way or another here.

pergesu
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
How about instead of avoiding ruin, you try to win? That's usually more effective.

Anyway I'm not really sure what you want here. There's absolutely no reason to think you're beat. Try to get your chips in.

Oh one more thing - don't post bad beats.

Angelic_Ace
08-31-2005, 10:27 PM
This isn't a bad beat post, I don't consider it a bad beat at all. I am just looking at how QQ should be played at a full table, very early in a SNG. Is it definitely best to just shove all your chips in?

benkahuna
08-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Push looks good to me unless you know your villain has aa or kk in this spot.

QQ, good looking flop, your stack should be similar to the size of the pot. Push.

Havok
08-31-2005, 11:59 PM
It's impossible to put villian on a big hand here. He just calls your reraise. If he reraised you, maybe you can give some thought and try to put him on kings or aces in that spot. But, given the action its impossible to think your queens arent' good. If you just bet the flop and villian pushes I would be calling this push every time unless he flashed me those kings.

Chaostracize
09-01-2005, 12:03 AM
You avoid ruin by not reraising with QQ.

Angelic_Ace
09-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Ok.. say I just call 90 preflop. I check on that flop and he bets big ... then are you committed to going all the way?
Also, if I lead out on flop with a bet, and he reraises big.. can you lay it down?

09-01-2005, 01:35 AM
If you called 90...

The flop is beautiful man. It doesnt get much better than this unless u set or something. Id want to get all my chips in the middle with his at this point.

I really dont understand why your hesitant. This may not be the reason, but if ur afraid he has AA or KK. I wouldnt worry too much cuz your bound to die anyways. And when YOU have AA/KK and villian has QQ you get to kill him back.

Hope i didnt give bad advice, Brian

AtticusFinch
09-01-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Now what do you do if :

A) You check and Villain pushes

[/ QUOTE ]

Call

[ QUOTE ]

B) Continuation bet and Villain pushes

[/ QUOTE ]

Call

[ QUOTE ]

Or, do you just push on this flop, first to act?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, generally, but if villain likes to bluff you might check it and try to stack him.

[ QUOTE ]

Should I have just called the preflop raise to 90, and played the hand weak-tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard reasonable arguments for smooth-calling with qq here. I prefer the reraise, personally. I know you're building a big pot with it, but you have a huge hand. You WANT a big pot.

But playing weak/tight? Come on, man. Every now and then Opp. will have KK, AA, or a set here. The rest of the time you're way ahead. Don't be afraid to get all your chips in the middle early if the situation warrants it (assuming you have no read.)

[ QUOTE ]

The villain ended up having KK and I busted out on this hand for a 10th place after I pushed on flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no shame in that. Just say to yourself, "Hey, I just won a ton of money... in the long run."

Angelic_Ace
09-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Thanks Atticus, I realize this is kind of a stupid thread, you should just shove it all in with QQ despite your gut. I appreciate your response though, pretty much put me at ease about how I played the hand.

AtticusFinch
09-01-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Atticus, I realize this is kind of a stupid thread, you should just shove it all in with QQ despite your gut. I appreciate your response though, pretty much put me at ease about how I played the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a stupid thread if it stops you from doubting yourself. And be careful about ignoring your gut. No matter how tried and true a play is, it can always be trumped by a good read.

pergesu
09-01-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a stupid thread if it stops you from doubting yourself. And be careful about ignoring your gut. No matter how tried and true a play is, it can always be trumped by a good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but folding queens here is attrocious.

To OP: Sometimes you run into monsters. It happens, get over it. Folding queens at any point in this hand would have been horrible. Just don't do it.