PDA

View Full Version : Hello! It's "Ruthless" Ruth Vs. "The Bull"...

SittingBull
04-16-2003, 05:10 PM
on 7th Str. in this 1/5 no ante stud game.
"Ruthless" is showing an openend pair of A's and "The Bull" an opened pair of J's.
"Ruthless" loves to bluff on 7th Str frequently.
However,she is capable of laying down one pair on 7th if she does not improve and someone bets into her after she checks.
She checked 6th Str. and 7th Str.
The pot is about 4BB's.
What would U do if U had one pair of J's on 7th??
Just wondering, /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
SittingBull

Andy B
04-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Probably check behind. How likely is it that she'd check Aces-up? I usually bet Aces-up with the Aces showing, but a lot of players don't. She certainly isn't folding two pair. I don't think that there is a good enough chance that she will fold a better hand to try a bluff.

Rockfish
04-17-2003, 11:35 AM
It sticks in my mind that you play in New Orleans. Is that right?

SittingBull
04-17-2003, 04:47 PM

SittingBull
04-17-2003, 04:55 PM
If she had ANY pair on 6th,she would have bet some chips. Also,if she had two pair on 7th,she would have bet--usually the MAX. But if she had one exposed pair ,she would usually check it on 7th.
Based upon this additional information,would U change your advice or still retain the same advice?? Remember,I did observe her folding a single pair several times when she was able to beat the board but her opponents bet into her exposed pair. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
Just wondering,
SittingBull

Rockfish
04-17-2003, 05:39 PM
You're talking about Miss Ruth aren't you?

Older lady, complains constantly, glares at you and says stuff like "get out of my pot", right?

Rockfish

SittingBull
04-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Andy B
04-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Larry,

It sounds like your bluff would have a reasonable chance of working, so it might be worth a shot. On the other hand, if you bet a lot in this kind of situation, you might earn more curiosity calls, which may not be a great thing.

patrick dicaprio
04-18-2003, 09:13 AM
the real question is what are the chances she would check aces up. but in any event if she loves to bluff then she probably thinks others do the same and she will likely call. but if you have past experience with her in that you rarely bluff then you might want to take a shot, especially since she checked sixth and seventh.

Pat

SittingBull
04-18-2003, 12:48 PM
on the nose when he stated that a good reason to take a pure bluff shot was because "Ruthless" CHECKED BOTH 6th AND 7th Strs.
It's true,Andy,that "Ruthless" bluffs frequently--but USUALLY on 7th Str.
It's ALSO true that MOST frequent bluffers would call to "keep U honest" because they themselves bluff frequently.
However,in evaluating "Ruthless",I had previous knowledge of my opponent--giving me good reason to try a pure bluff.
I did observe her folding an opened pair several times before when her opponent bet into her on 7th and she had only one pair and could beat the board.
Hence,the fact that she checked both 6th and 7th indicated that she did not improve.
Since the pot was laying me 4 to 1 and her folding chances was at least 50%,I decided to bluff.
"Ruthless" hesitated for a few seconds,looked at me while I turned away and then hesitated a few more seconds.
She certainly had difficulty releasing her hand. However,the clencher,I believe,was the fact that I had a pair of J's SHOWING. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
I took it down on a bluff and she said :U bought this pot". I said," I had two pairs"--yeahright! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
Happy pokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Sitting Bull