PDA

View Full Version : Call with top set or save money on the river?

Gronk
04-16-2003, 05:04 PM
.50/1 online. I just joined the table and don't recognize any names. I post in CO.

I'm dealt 2 black aces. 2 limpers to me and I raise. BB calls and 2 limpers call. 4 to the flop for 8 small bets.

The flop is 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . Terrible flop for me. It's checked to me and I bet, not wanting to give a free card. Everyone calls(not a good sign). 4 to the turn for 6 big bets.

The turn is A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif [7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif ]. This makes it interesting. Now I've got top set with the odds to call and fill if anyone bets. Surprisingly no one bets. I bet and everyone calls. Is it safe to assume they're on straight draws now? Or maybe one of them hit and they don't want to scare people out by betting. 4 to the river for 10 big bets.

The river is T /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Checked to the player to my right who bets. I'm getting 11 to 1 odds to call with my top set against the odds he was drawing to a gutshot straight. With a board that coordinated, do you fold here despite the odds? I called as did one of the other players. The bettor showed J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif for a backdoor gutshot on the river. He also had the flush draw as of the turn though, something I didn't consider at the time.

Would anyone have checked behind on the turn, hoping to show down more cheaply on the river? I would hate giving free cards with a big hand on such a coordinated flop. I don't think anyone was going to fold for a single big bet on the turn and the only way I was winning this one was if everyone missed their draws. And if everyone had missed their draws, this might have induced a bluff on the river. I'm second guessing myself a lot on this one. Comments?

Ulysses
04-16-2003, 05:16 PM
I'd bet the turn exactly 100% of the time here. I'd also call the river.

rtucker5
04-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Would anyone have checked behind on the turn, hoping to show down more cheaply on the river?

If you are still in the lead on the turn, you can't check and give anyone with a diamond of straight draw a free chance to beat you. You have to bet here 100% of the time unless you have a really, really, really strong read on your opponents. If you get check-raised you may be behind, but have plenty of outs to make the top full or quads. Once there is a bet on river you have to assume you are beat, but the pot is too big to fold IMHO.

Robk
04-16-2003, 06:16 PM
I would certainly bet the turn, and certainly call the river. Although the board is scary, your action thus far hasn't "promised" anything more than a pair of aces. I can see 2 pair hands betting here, as well as complete bluffs, often enough to make it a good call.

ashes will fall
04-16-2003, 06:30 PM
You were definitely right for betting out on the turn. As you said, you simply cannot give straight draws a free river card. You are probably ahead here since you were checked too, and if you aren't you'll know soon enough with the checkraise. Since it was check-calls all the way around, you can assume you're in the lead, though with the passive play thus far I wouldn't be completely surprised by a flush. The 10 on the river means most straight draws missed, but a gutshot who stuck around hit, which is very possible since an LP check-caller would've had the pot odds to draw on the turn. Still, I'd call the bettor down since a 2-pair semi-bluff is possible. Perfectly played.

See you at the tables.

Bob T.
04-16-2003, 08:27 PM
I think you played it fine, how would you have felt if he showed T9 for a rivered two pair? You can't raise, and if you call you get a chance for overcalls by other two pair hands.

JTG51
04-16-2003, 09:09 PM
I'd bet the turn exactly 100% of the time here.

Now that's what I like, a nice precise answer.

I can do better than that though. I'd bet the turn 99.999% of the time. You have to leave that 0.001% for the times when your opponent accidentally turns over his QJ before you act.

On second thought, I'd bet anyway so 100% it is. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif