PDA

View Full Version : moving back down

newhizzle
08-31-2005, 09:28 PM
i went on a rush at 10/20 and started playing 20/40 and 30/60 before my roll was ready for them, well ive been running bad today, and need to move back to 5/10, but i cant seem to do it, after playing in the big games, the bets at 5/10 seem meaningless to me, i cant seem to take it seriously, and i keep wanting to open up bigger games, any advise?

sandsmarc
08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
You're obviously hooked on the action. Not good.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Don't know what to say but discipline. Set a goal for yourself, 50K hands at 5/10 before you move up to 10/20 or something.

Also, IMO and experience the jump between 5/10 to 10/20 is nothing like the jump from 10/20 to 30/60. The winning players I know at 30/60 generally have at least 20K bankrolls and years and years more experience than people at 10/20.

MediaPA
08-31-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're obviously hooked on the action. Not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this one too well. Right now I'm setting a goal to play $100NL and smaller stuff until I have the roll to move up. Seems trivial at times since I've played in games where that's the opening raise. I'm determined to 'work my way up.'

There's being a gambler (zero bankroll management/real long term outlook) and being a poker player. I'm working on becoming the second after losing back a huge chunk from my gambler days. The gambler is how I won my current roll, but now I'm going for discipline. I need to win 30 buy in's before I consider moving to $200NL.

I wish you all the luck because it is a difficult thing to do that takes extreme discipline.

08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
I like Mike Caro's advice. "DON'T treat your bankroll like a tournament buy-in."

There is an extremely small chance that you will keep moving up for a huge payday, but nearly every single time, you will go broke. Cut your losses, and get some discipline.

peritonlogon
09-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Here's my advice for both playing within your bank roll and playing in bigger games. The common advice is to have 200-300 big bets to play in a limit. Try 100-150bb with the dicipline that WHENEVER you lose 50-75bb you move down. And when you double your roll you move up. If you're playing online, 5/10 has many limits beneath it so you won't be in any real danger of busting unless you don't move down, and when you're on a nice run, you could be up to 20/40 rather quickly.
And when you are on the grind, consider it the leg work you have to do to get to the real money.

PokerCad
09-01-2005, 05:35 PM
I agree with most of the posters here, although for me moving down sucks, I can't speak for on-line because with the exception of fooling around with on-line tournaments, I prefer playing live. The game at the higher limits is just more enjoyable to play odd as it may sound, the players are just better. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting around a table of donks in a low limit free-for-all (9-18 and below) trying to play good poker and getting sucked out on time after time by poor players.(one or two donks, good for me four or five donks I can't win) I find myself having to play loose passive just to stay even. It drives me nuts! Advanced poker skills are useless IMO. So my advice would be if you prefer the higher limit game because it fits in better with your style of play than I would try tightening up and play more conservately through the minus variances and weather the storm. If this doesn't work than maybe you should evaluate your skills to determine your ability. Bankroll aside, it takes much more skill to compete at higher limits

Jeff

newhizzle
09-01-2005, 09:26 PM
low limit games are very very beatable, they can be frustrating, but they are def profitable,it just takes a diferent strategy, read SSH if you havent already, but i def enjoy high limit better, and it is hard to move back down, thanks for the advise everyone

Angrymoog
09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Pokercad it sounds like youre playing poker for the wrong reason.

Anyone who says they like games where the opponents play better is not playing poker to win money, but rather because it is a competition which they want to win.

You get upset when you get sucked out on because you are focussed on proving what a good poker player you are, trying to bluff in games where everyone will pay you off and just win pots in general.

Poker is not about winning alone. Its about winning money. And if that is your goal, then it would behoov you to examine your play and figure out why you cant seem to beat bad players, because thats where you win the most money.

09-05-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any advise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Move down to 2/4 and play a thousand hands there.

09-06-2005, 02:39 AM
Dont treat the bets as money. Treat them as small bets and big bets.

I've used that concept to ensure whichever game I play in, I dont get sloppy and overagressive("oh, its only 3 dollars to call"), or dont get weak-tight ("damn, he just raised me 20 dollars!").

09-06-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with most of the posters here, although for me moving down sucks, I can't speak for on-line because with the exception of fooling around with on-line tournaments, I prefer playing live. The game at the higher limits is just more enjoyable to play odd as it may sound, the players are just better. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting around a table of donks in a low limit free-for-all (9-18 and below) trying to play good poker and getting sucked out on time after time by poor players.(one or two donks, good for me four or five donks I can't win) I find myself having to play loose passive just to stay even. It drives me nuts! Advanced poker skills are useless IMO. So my advice would be if you prefer the higher limit game because it fits in better with your style of play than I would try tightening up and play more conservately through the minus variances and weather the storm. If this doesn't work than maybe you should evaluate your skills to determine your ability. Bankroll aside, it takes much more skill to compete at higher limits

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bit of an aside, but it's interesting. Good players often feel frustrated when they can't get calling stations to fold and they get drawn out on by gutshots. Vs really terrible players, you should just play straightforward solid poker and stop trying to be tricky and get them to fold (since many of them cannot fold).

Mikey
09-06-2005, 02:48 AM
i once took a shot at the 15/30 and it depleted 2/3 of my bankroll.

I dropped down to 3/6 and grinded it back up to where it was before I took my shot.

You better learn to drop down and rebuild or you are setting yourself up for a disaster.